Still Around

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Brother Bob, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist

Mrs. Brother Bob and I are still alive and kicking. We have been busy trying to get our house finished up enough to move into. We are living in our travel trailer on the construction site. It's Ok, but two adults and two dogs make it a tight squeeze in this 28' foot trailer. As stated previously, we took this "project" over after the original owner lost interest. The house was framed, side walls up, and the roof was complete. The only problem was that nothing inside was going to work out. The plumbing was screwed up, the wiring wasn't up to code, the walls were crooked, the lumber was lousy, the well wasn't done right, and the ground wouldn't "perk" for a septic tank! So we spent $6,300 putting in an aerobic system. The windows were all different sizes and two were side mounts that had been placed vertically! Go figure! All three doors were really nice pre-hung. The only problem is that they were made for a 2x4 wall and this house is 2x6 on 16" centers! So for the better part of 2 1/2 months we have wrecked out, cut, jack-hammered, repaired, modified, and replaced all that was wrong! Now the good news. We are running out of chit to go wrong! We had to modify the main bath in the center of the house and then frame and modify the rest of the house from there. The house is 1,700 sq. ft. and is plenty big enough for the Mrs. and I and our two dogs. Along with the house we assumed 10 acres of land. We have since purchased the 30 acres behind us. We have a good size pond on the ten acres directly behind us stocked with catfish, bass, and brim. The pond is 35' deep if not deeper. It's about a 60' drop off behind the dam and over looks the partially wooded meadow below and the rest of our back 20 acres. This is where the deer hang out and graze. We also have a smaller pond on the back 10 acres that I haven't found yet. The grass is too high and it looks pretty "snaky" around there. I'll brush hog the area this winter and keep the area a little cleaner so we can enjoy it, too. I'm overloaded with trees and the pole saw and chainsaw are getting a real workout when I'm not working on the house......... We are expecting our 1st frost tonight so my sense of urgency to focus more on the house has been heightened. I want to get the rest of the dry wall on the ceiling so I can insulate the attic and get the furnace and heat pump going....... Well folks, that's the status. We'll post some pics of our progress soon enough. :)

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

good to hear from yall...
    Rich

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I'd wondered where you got to. Glad to hear you're taking it so easy in retirement!

4. Good to hear you guys are doing good. Was wondering what had happened to ya.

5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Glad to hear from you BB,wondering about you.Best of everything.

6. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Glad to see ya back!

I would clear cut ALL the grass.
    Don't like snakes!

7. White Rook

White Rook G&G Evangelist

Glad to hear from you. It sounds like you are working harder than you did before you retired. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

8. Paul T

Paul T G&G Newbie

It's a pirates life for sure. Glad to see you back.

9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Nice to hear from you all !!

10. TheLastMountain

TheLastMountain G&G Evangelist

Glad your back Brother Bob.

11. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

Sounds like a good place for me to come fishing! Are you going to make a rifle range as well? I hope so because the only thing I like better than fishing is shooting. Lol!!!

Good to hear from you Bro B.

12. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

Best wishes to both if ya'll

13. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Glad to hear you're taking it easy in retirement!!LOL!!

14. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

My interest perked up when you brought up construction. Having worked on over 50 Habitat for Humanity houses, and having a lot of other construction experiences...I could easily relate to all the problems you both faced. What a bunch of problems to face...before moving forward.

Guess you knew of these problems beforehand so guess you were sort of prepared for dealing with them. Regardless...sounds like you've done a good job of handling them since you're now dealing with drywall. Yes, trying to trim in 2x4 doors on 2x6 studs is a challange but I bet you were up to the task.

Good news...all that property to walk over and manage could be fun. Bet you get that under control, too. You'll be like DANA...looking out of your house at all sorts of wild life while you're drinking hot coffee, etc.(ha)

Have fun.

Joe

15. Brother Bob

Wishing all the best in your "home improvement project."

Hey, how some pictures!

16. Brother Bob

Joe, it's ironic you should bring up Habitat For Humanity. That's where we purchased our toilets. Paid $50 each for two toilets that would have cost us $130 each. They apparently where put in a new house and then swapped out before ever being used. Also, my wife spends a lot of time searching Craigs List for deals on tools and supplies. Thanks for the confidence. It's been a learning process and a real exercise in futility at times. No, we really didn't know just how bad it was until after we had moved out there. I just grabbed a level and tape measure and started checking the work versus the plans. When we first went out there, it was well over 120 degrees in the house and I thought I was going to pass out! After we got the aerobic system in it didn't take us long to realize that there were traps missing in the utility room drain as sewer gas started coming into the house. The hot and cold water was stubbed out into the same copper pipe above the slab in the master bath! Today, we replaced 3 windows with double hung and argon filled low E vinyl windows. We will finish the windows tomorrow and replace the last door. The Mrs. and I purchased the doors with double glass that have mini blinds between the two glass panes. The Front door is full glass with blinds(2/3) and the back is 1/2 with blinds. The North door has no blinds, but is also double hung. The next project is to have an 8 foot covered area on the North side leading to an "oversized" 2 car garage. This covered area will be where I keep my smoker, gas grill, and charcoal grills. It will be 8 x 25 foot and will be where we entertain our guests and friends during the warm weather months. My "Man Cave" will be built behind our house about 100 ft. away. This should keep Mrs. Brother Bob at ease and keep me out of any trouble. LOL!

17. Good to hear from you Bro and Sister Bob, I just had a 30 x 40 steel structure put on my BOS. I have two septics, One is for the structure. The other is an 'emergency cave'.

18. Brother Bob

It's great to hear from all of you! Mrs. Brother Bob and I will definitely keep better tabs on our G&G family in the future! Our phone service out here is awful and our DSL is one step above dial up! I just wish I could get AT&T out here.......

19. Rambo

Rambo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

America
    Thanks for the update. I'm not that far behind you, it seems.

20. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Glad things are keeping you busy! We want pictures of the man cave! I'm constantly working on this house so I sort of know what you're going through. Next project here will be bamboo flooring in the kitchen. I bought a rifle recently and it looks like a new kitchen floor is the only way to keep the peace. Good thing is the flooring is on sale for $2 sq. ft!