Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing moving at -25° but it’s still kind of fun to be out to watch the sun come out. Had some dog hunters run through as I was setting up. Putting my gear on in the dark as a pickup drove by shining a light in the field. Shortly afterwards, I heard dogs barking.
Warming up next week to about 20°. Maybe coyotes will be more accommodating.
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Ecoregion Plant
Sky Eyewear Snow Beard Happy

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I certainly agree. Being out there, a person will see wonderful things that so many people never get to see. And watching it get lighter and lighter until the sun peeks up is the beginning of the day, so it's beauty continues for many hours. Sunset signals an ending, which just isn't the same. Night brings on it's own sights and sounds, but the day is over until the night is finished doing it's own thing.
Even the sub-zero temperatures are worth the experience (provided the person is well dressed for it). I've been out hunting in minus 35 here in Maine. And, unsurprisingly, nothing in the woods moves at that temperature, unless you bump the critter out of wherever it's sheltering. Carrying my rifle in the pre-dawn at minus 35 is just an excuse to be there. It may sound like there is no point being there, but it's exhilarating.

·
Registered
12,096 Posts
I’ve found, through hunting, that sunrise beats sunset every time. The things one sees from a half hour before sunrise until an hour after sunrise is well worth being out there.
I used to pull midnights as an LEO and the best part was sitting on a hilltop (we are a smaller town) with coffee and watching the sun come up.

·
The outer edge of civilization
15,698 Posts
I've been blessed to watch many a sunrise and many a sunset and each is special in their own way. I'm just not one of those people who enjoys having to wear 4+ layers of clothes and still freezing my butt off to see one!

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Yeah looks cold as hell!! Give ya credit for being out there. All kidding aside look like beautiful scenery and the solitude must be awe inspiring. Nothing like that around me but got some deep woods nearby for varmint. gotta get my freebie Sporting License this week for 2022. Hope ya bag something good for your cold weather efforts.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
very nice pictures, i would love to be sitting right there with you at that time of day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts