Still trying to trace Brit army issue

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by taras, Mar 25, 2002.

1. On the old forum I asked for help in tracing the history of my british army issued rifle. Recieved a lot of helpful replies, one from Wiley, but I don't think its the same Wiley as the one on this forum.
    Due to our new registration requirements I was to get the gun verified by a licensed proffessional. He took some info over the phone, said it was probably WWI issued, refitted to ues during WWII, as well. He figured all this out merely the acceptance marks.
    The gun is now duly registered but the cert. probably isn't worth the paper it's wrote on as there is no serial #. I have asked before elsewhere and was directed to the public library, to no avail. Does any-one out there have any idea how to trace where, when, and by which battalion my gun was used?
    Best I can tell you off hand is no serial is visible ( I was told it may be on the bottom of barrel, covered by stock) There is acceptance marks, and Brit. army issue #. Also on the buttstock is a brass medallion, circular, with 777around outside, and #27 in center.
    Any info on where to even begin looking would be great, feel free to e-mail, as I may be away from computer a couple, but can still check my e-mail. Thanks

2. Taras, this might be a long shot.
    First, what is the Number and Mark of the rifle in question?

Second, where was it made? (BSA, Enfield Lock, Festerhazy, ECT).

The Barrell numbers are hard to find and harder to read.

look on the back side of the bolt handle, the side that is facing you when the bolt is closed and you are looking thru the sights. under the paint on that flat that is NEXT to the striker will be the serial #, if the bolt is the orgional one you MIGHT be able to match up the Barrell #. Please let me know what you find.

3. gjp222

gjp222 G&G Newbie

Brit army issue

Butt discs usually have three lines of information.
    Firstly a date, either 2.16 or 2. over 1916 (Feb 1916). Usually above the screw. This is the date of issue.
    A unit designation eg 95 Co RE (95th Company of the Royal Engineers). Usually level with the screw hole.
    And lastly a rack number. Usually under screw hole.
    Note 'usually' means this wasn't always the case.
    The markings you note don't seem to match this pattern although the 777 could be a rack number. The 27 could refer to the 27th Regiment of Foot ( The Royal Inskilling Fusileers).
    It is not unknown for the brass discs to be turned over if one side is full. Have you looked on the other side of yours ?
    Hope this is of some use. Don't garauntee accuracy but at least it's something to think about.