close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stock Doc Help

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Paul I, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Paul I

Paul I G&G Newbie

Stock Doc, I'm refinishing two G1 stocks. I boiled both ,1 came out clean the other must have some verinish on it and is still has the finish on it. Should I use a stripper on it or try sanding it off. Thanks for any help.

Paul I

2. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

I would use BIX stripper in the White/Red can because it can be wiped off and cleaned with water. The heavy duty White/Blue can needs Trisodium Phosphate to neutralize it. It may take a few stripping's but is easier on the wood. Are there markings on the wood? Also sanding will not release the varnish out of the pores unless you really sand and you honestly dont want to do that. Let me know if there's any other help you need. Rick B

3. Paul I

Paul I G&G Newbie

There are np markings.
    Thanks for your help.Would get that stripper at a hardware or a woodworking place?.

Thank you for the Help

Paul I

4. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Yep they should have it or a Home Depot and Lowes if you are near one. Yell if you run into any other problems. Rick B

5. Paul I

Paul I G&G Newbie

The stock is looking good :boiled it to get the oils and stuff out
    waiting to sand out the rough parts.
    Thanks Paul I

6. If you boil the stock does that make it warp?

7. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Yes it can and will swell out the hand guards. I don't recomend boiling but a soaking for short periods is fine. Rick B

8. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

I just bought an new unfinished walnut stock. 30 bucks seemed like a good price. Do you just rub boiled linen seed oil in it? No staining? Thanks

9. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

I stain with Chestnut Ridge stain or you can get a brown alcohol base stain as it is easy to work with and can be put on after oil dries then oiled again. I take a small piece of a rag and dip it in Boiled linseed oil, rub all over the stock and wait 30 minutes. I then take a cotton clothe and rub as much of the oil off as I can and let set up over night. Try to hang it so it dries properly. Repeat as many times as needed until desired look is achieved. DO NOT LEAVE RAGS LYING AROUND they will self combust. I hang them outside or put in a bucket of water when doing allot. When left lying around and balled up they will ignite I know from experience and almost had a fire in my home. I was lucky by happening to go in the shop for a last minute thought and they poofed up on me after I just walked in. Hope this helps. Rick B

10. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

Wow, Just one coat of LS oil is amazing. That looks so nice, I may just use a few more coats of oil, with steel wool inbetween. Thanks