close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stock finish ? for the Stock Doc

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by willys, Jul 29, 2002.

1. willys

willys G&G Newbie

TEXAS
    Rick, I am getting an unfinished birck stock set. I want this set to look like the originals did. What do you recommend I use to finish this set.

thanks
    Joe

2. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Chestnut Ridge will make it orange as some came out of the CMP and then there are the dark red/brown ones and for this use Fiebing's leather Dye. The biggest problem with Linsed oil on Birch is the wood is so dense it can be tough getting it to layer. ALso Birch was not a production stock they came into play around 1959. Dont beleive the rumors about Walnut shortages as they were producing M14's with Walnut at this time so there was plenty.
    Fiebings can be bought at a shoe leather store and chestnut Ridge can be bought on line at www.chestnutridge.com

Let me know if you need photo's? I can post them later. Rick B

3. willys

willys G&G Newbie

TEXAS
    photos

If you can post some pictures, that would be great. I am trying to get good at redoing stocks, and any pointers would be helpfull.

thanks for your time Rick
    Joe

4. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Here is what a M44 looks like with Fiebings Dark Brown die.
    [​IMG]

Now if you want the orange look buy Chestnut Ridge as I said to get this look.

[​IMG]

I have seen them come out white or light in color from the Arsenals also. For Birch it is just as easy to use Birchwood Casey's True Oil and follow instructions. You rub it on with youre finger until it is tacky and let dry for 2-3 hours and scuff with 0000 steel wool then repeat. on the last one you 0000 steel wool and leave it dull if you dont want a shine. Easy stuff to work with for Birch. Hope this helps and by the way both of these stocks ar in Linseed oil. It is allot harder to get a finsih to stick on Birch as I said before and it wears off quicker, this is why I recommend a stronger finish. Rick B

Last edited: Jul 30, 2002
  5. JIMM

JIMM G&G Newbie

Stockdoc... you said to use the Fiebings dark brown dye., are there other shades of brown, I want to get the right shade. I have a SA-GAW that I tried to use MIMWAX oil stain on. that did nothing. One half of the stock is reddish walnut the other side is on the tan side. I plan on using BLO to finish it. Thanks!

6. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

The Fiebings will come out a reddish/brown like the Military stain used later on. You can got to a wood store and find a brown hat will match Walnut or which ever wood type you have on there charts to the stains they have. I recommend stains made from Alcohol because you can stain until happy with color. Oil will come off when you rub oil in for he finish. You can add alcohol based stains to oil finishes also if you are not happy with the color. Oil takes longer to dry also and is messy. Fiebings medium brown turns purple so dont get that one.
    I have about 10 different stains so I can blend as I go if I have a problem matching or a two color sided stock as you have and it is hard to give you instructions on what to blend without seeing it. Its kind of like driving to me now I get there but just do it on auto pilot. I dont think about it I just do it now and it seems to work 99% of the time. When it doesn't its like a train wreck hehehehe.
    If you do a quick swipe with Fiebings Dark Brown and then blend the edges with Denatured Alcohol it may match up very nicely. Holler if you need any other help. Rick

7. Stock Doc,

Can you spray clear polyurethane over a linseed coat?

8. I used KIWI Oxblood shoe polish after the BLO routine. I think the KIWI protects the stock as it does leather keeping moisture out. I did this on an old Garand stock that I did and it really came out nice. It brings the grain of the wood out.

9. Does that mean I can use Min-Wax on my boots then? he he he he

10. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Good Lord! I'm just going to send the rest of my wood to a professional. Heck, I got wore out just reading these post. I'm glad you're around Rick.