close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stock fitting/safety issue

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by coolsax01, Jul 20, 2014.

1. coolsax01

coolsax01 G&G Addict

Hey all!

I need to pick your brains about an issue I've got. I'm redoing a Garand stock. It fit the rifle when I took it apart, but when I put it back together, the trigger assembly would not lock in. I'm a big guy, and putting all my weight into it, I could not get the trigger guard to lock in. Ultimately, I had to chisel out the inside of the stock where the trigger guard pivots...there are wood ledges that are supposed to stop the trigger guard when it swings shut...those are gone. Chiseled and sanded. After the stock surgery, the trigger guard latched shut, but still with considerable effort. I just want to know if such drastic measures to fit a stock are typical, and if doing what I did poses a safety issue with firing the rifle.

As always, thanks!

Eric

2. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    New commercial stock right?? Its a common issue, most people dont know what a properly fitting stock is like. It should fit very tight , it was closed once, it will close again.
    [​IMG]

3. coolsax01

coolsax01 G&G Addict

After removing wood, the fit is extremely tight. When I bought it it was new...the stock is now about 3 years old. After posting last night I remember having a difficult time getting it to lock down originally, but not this bad...the trigger guard swung about 2/3 of the way closed and just stopped. Still, any safety issues with removing some of the wood in that part of the stock for fitment? That's my major concern.

As always, thanks!

4. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
  5. coolsax01

coolsax01 G&G Addict

Okay, thanks. It's together and is extremely tight, even after the wood removal. My primary concern is safety, but I'm glad that I don't have to replace the stock as it came out really well. If I ever figure out how to post pics here I will post a pic or two showing how it came out.

As always, Orlando, many thanks!

6. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    A tight fit is not a safety issue. Sometimes wood needs to removed in different areas for function.
    It doesnt make sense taht it closes tighter now than it did three years ago unless maybe you are in humid conditions and the wood has swollen.
    The inside needs to be coated with coats of oil finish as much as the outside.
    If you look on the inside on the stock towards the bottom on each side there are two angled cuts. These cuts are there so not to contact the guard. Sometime alittle needs removed on each of these to let the guard close

7. coolsax01

coolsax01 G&G Addict

That's what I removed and sanded. I thought it was odd that it didn't close now when it did before, but I did do like 4 coats of stain and 12 ciats of tung oil. May have swollen. Anyway, it is all reassembled now. Thanks for your continued knowledge!

8. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Enthusiast

I was going to offer that up about the humidity. I live in Connecticut. My town Norwalk is a costal town and in the Summer the humidity is unbelievable. Most of the solid wood doors in the house will barely close come July or August but the same doors will close smoothly in the Winter with zero effort. Humidity in New England can be nasty! It could explain why the trigger assemble latched easy originally and now is much tighter. I also would definitely NOT remove any more wood because it could shrink back down when the humidity lowers.