close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stock inletting kit for beginner

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by jtuck, Oct 27, 2011.

1. jtuck

jtuck G&G Evangelist

After running a wood chisel into my hand yesterday while trying to inlet my Mauser stock for its new Bold trigger, I realized I'm not set up for this type of work. Can anyone recommend a decent beginner's set of inletting tools? I've been looking on the 'net, but I'm not real sure what options I should be looking for.

Wood chisels hurt by the way!

2. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

3. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Enthusiast

Done some inletting myself. For your new trigger inletting, a Dremel tool with an assortment of bits would probably have been the first tool I used to remove wood for the new trigger. Yes, I might of used wood chisels that I keep sharp, a set of exacto knives or even files for the work. Just depends on what I need to do, what I'll use. Example, latest project was to make a stock from basically scrap wood and for the inletting of barreled action, used a router, drill press, dremel, files, chisels, exacto knives, ratchet sockets (wrapped with sand paper for final fitting of rounded bottom of a Stevens action and doing the barrel channel.) As to shaping of outside of stock, table saw, band saw, hand planer, files, rasps, 1"x42" bench belt sander, mouse sander, shaped blocks of wood wrapped with sandpaper, and etc.

4. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

Well I have to disagree hufmanite I would never recommend a novice to use a dremel because of the extreme damage that it can cause very very quickly.
    Steve

5. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I'd recommend a diamond hone for the chisel and some small to medium round and flat "wood" files for starters. Woodcraft, Rocklers and several other woodworking suppliers will have a far greater selection of files, rasps and chisels to choose from compared to Brownells. Brownells does have many helpful tools such as scrapers that can be found under their shaping/inletting tools section.

6. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

You may find what you need at Grizzly.com. It's a wood-workers paradise. And the owner is a gun enthusiast...can't beat that.

7. jtuck

jtuck G&G Evangelist

Grizzly is just right down the road from where I work! I may stop in there today and see what they have.

I discovered (as is usually the case) this inletting project is more in depth than I expected. I had to remove far more material that I first planned on. At the time of the accident I was very close to being done and when the chisel slipped and I took off a chunk in front of the safety inlet I was wanting to keep. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to:

A) Leave it and hope no one notices
    B) Glue it back on
    C) Trash this stock and get a new one.

I'm learning a lot with this new project, mostly the hard way unfortunately. I just hope this rifle won't be one of those you end up seeing on the internet with the exclamation "Don't do it this way!" underneath.

8. oldjarhead

Funny jtuck...

Projects are for fun, the first one will be a learning curve.
    Hard learned lessons are lasting lessons.

If it were my project, I'd glue it back in place and continue on without the hard cutting...cut light...don't try to take more than the tool will cut; by doing so you will learn how to repair a booboo and how to shave inlet instead of cutting the inlet.

There's a Grizzly in Springfield...only been there twice but you could easily find me by following the trail of drool...They have soooooo much.

9. jtuck

jtuck G&G Evangelist

The one in Springfield is an awesome store. I don't like going in there because something happens and time really seems to speed up. I swear I only go in for a few minutes but somehow I lose half the day.

10. jtuck

jtuck G&G Evangelist

I stopped by Grizzly and picked up a beginner's set of carving tools. They were okay, but I can see how someone would quickly acquire a vast array of shapes and sizes to fit various nooks and crannies. I finally finished the inletting today and the rifle is assembled. There was alot of putting together and taking apart involved but I finally got the inlets right and the trigger adjusted.

The first coat of paint went on the rifle and scope today. I need to stop by Bass Pro and pick up a new set of scope rings then the final assembly should be finished tomorrow. This project has been fun but definitely a learning experience!

11. oldjarhead

Now for the pics!!!

Speaking of pics, I hope you took pics of before-during-after for your project...don't be like me and finish a project and then wish I'd taken pics.

12. jtuck

jtuck G&G Evangelist

I tried to take pictures throughout. After the final coat of paint goes on to I will try to post them all. Y'all just have to promise not to laugh TOO hard.

13. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Evangelist

There is NO guarantee of that....LOL

14. SandburRanch

SandburRanch G&G Newbie

Just hope your accident wasn't too serious but they can be very serious. On the local news awhile back a guy's 3 year old had to call 911 because of a chisel accident of his father. When woodworking was mentioned and they showed his wrist bandaged I told the wife what happened long before the news story revealed the cause.

Years ago I could see the accident potential and made myself a rule to follow - both hands on the chisel handle or one hand on the chisel handle and the other hand on the mallot -

Sure that makes one clamp the work piece as it should be.

Here's hoping you have better luck carving next time with your new tool set.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  15. jtuck

jtuck G&G Evangelist

I did learn several valuable lessons during this project. Right now I am in the process of setting up another bench equipped with a vise or two and shelves for tools with the sole purpose of working on guns.

I never pictured myself working on guns much but it is something I have come to enjoy. I have discovered that if you want to do it right, it takes a lot of tools and a lot of space.

16. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

Jtuck if you need any help give me a pm I will do my best in any way that I can to assist you in getting going or solving a problem.
    Steve

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted