stock oil

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by franchi, Aug 13, 2010.

1. franchi

franchi Guest

i have a 1941 mauser 98 that was a war trophy. the stock looked a bit dry so i rubbed some tong oil in and it didnt seem to help, at all. i have done this about 5 times now with very little change. it is my understanding that the origional oil on the stock was BLO, do they mix ok or do they conflict? my second school of thought on this is that the stock may have been waxed at one point in time, would this void any oil? if so how do i remove it without damaging the stock.
    thanks for any help

2. Personally,

I would get some fine steel wool and finish remover such as Formby's.

Let it dry then really work it with boiled linseed oil as I feel there is nothing better for dry wood. It penetrates, preserves, and waterproofs.

3. Capt.Hotpants

Capt.Hotpants G&G Regular

On an original bringback dont add or remove anything unless you know for sure thats the way its supposed to be. The value will sink so fast its not even funny.

If theres no cracks or anything like that in the stock, then just leave it alone until you know for sure what is thats supposed to be applied.

Also do you have any pictures of the rifle. Bringbacks are pretty rare and its always a treat to see them.

4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    step away from the steel wool!!!!!! that stuff does not belong near firearms. first?, is it a walnut or laminated stock?

5. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Evangelist

Yep, it'd be good to know if the stock is walnut, beech or a laminated stock. Pictures may help us to see your problem. If laminated, well then the glues used by Germans to make stock pretty much has sealed the wood, preventing anything from penetrating into wood. On bare/raw wood, tung oil will penetrate, but anything in/on wood will prevent penetration. So, yes, a wax on wood will keep Tung Oil from penetrating wood.

Well, you've already applied 5 coats of tung oil, what to do now......

Guess you need to remove tung oil without damageing the wood beneath it. I kinda disagree with LeftyO's comment about steel wool. If I want to do something with an old rifle stock finish that I don't want to sand, then use of steel wool is an option. Perhaps use of a very fine "steel wool" with Formby's Finish Restorer may be tried. Not much true tung oil in stores these days, with most tung oil products found really being a varnish based product. Although I dislike steel wool myself, prefer using a scotchbrite fine pad which I find to be better than steel wool. Formby's finish restorer is a form of stripper made for old dried out/darkened varnish type finishes found on antique wood furniture. It will dissolve the varnish and the steel wool/scotchbrite pad will provide enough abrasion to remove the finish without damaging the wood. Depending on how long you work the wood, how much of the finish will be removed. Stuff evaporates quickly, leaving a cleaned layer of the old varnish. Of course, you can use the finish restorer with terry cloth (old towels), but steel wool or scotchbrite pads are better. I've also used the finish restorer on BLO finished stocks, brushing it on liberally and then wiping the wood quickly with terry cloth. Works decently in removing years of grime, dirt and oil in wood.

What is important, because rifle is a bring back, is to avoid any sanding. As another poster has said, really ruins the collector value of such a rifle. A gentle use of steel wool or a fine scotchbrite pad shouldn't damage the wood. Only problem to me would be snagging the wood, so work with grain and not against it to avoid snagging wood.

6. Depending on the country of origin BLO was probably the original finish. If it's a RC it may have shellac on it. That would explain why the Tung oil is not penetrating the wood.

A photo and the exact model would help.

Personally I would not use a Fromby's product until you know what you have. IF it's a blo finish you can make a pretty good cleaner from a 50/50 mix of blo and turpentine. Lightly clean the furniture with 0000 steel wool, working with the grain of the wood. Use plenty of your cleaner and wipe it off as it brings up the dirt and old oils.

7. franchi

franchi Guest

The gun is not a RC. it is a red glue lami stock, i dont want to add or take away anything from the rifle. i just dont want the stock drying out and cracking, i want to preserve the stock. the coats of oil that i have put on it were very light and then rubbed in or off with a dry cloth. i will try to get some pics up, its stormy tonight and i have a slow connection.
    Edit: i do NOT want to clean the stock, i like the battle scars and grime that the rifle has.