Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock in question isn't a mosin stock, but I figure I would get some good advise from you guys. I have a stock that's broken through the wrist and was wondering if any of you have done repairs or can point me in the right direction on the net. I did a search here and ended up with a mind boggling amount of posts to go through.

Thanks,

Cell

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I just repaired a Turkish Mauser stock that was broken all the way through one side, where the recoil lug goes through. I have only put 2 rounds through the rifle since I did the repair, so I can't be sure how it will hold up. I had cheap ammo problems. Maybe a firing pin problem.

I used Brownells Acraglas Gel to glue the crack by spreading it and forcing the gel into it with a stick. Then I supported the ends of the stock and put a weight in the area of the repair to hold it closed. The next day, I trimmed off the extra cured gel. Then, I drilled a hole from the area of the indentation for the trigger gard across the crack, and installed a 2" long brass 6x32 machine screw in the hole with more Acraglas slathered all over it. The hole I drilled was not very tight, but tight enough that turning the screw pulled it down into the hole. Before I installed the screw, I cut off the head and filed a screwdriver slot in it. One end of the screw is covered up by the receiver, and the other by the trigger guard. I think I was very skillful (lucky) to drill the hole without it coming out through the stock, where it would show. It worked this time. I'm not sure if I could do it again.

And, like I say, I don't know if it will hold up or not. The crack is in the worst possible spot I can think of. If you are unable to spread the crack you have, like I did on mine, the Acraglas comes in liquid form too. That might work better for you than the gel. I have also heard about using air from a compressor to force glue, or whatever is used, into a crack.

Good luck.

Verne

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would drill both sides to accept at least a couple of dowels, then epoxy them in place. If you use AcraGel, use the liquid, as you want a low viscosity epoxy that will penetrate the wood grain on the give the best bond.

If you're not concerned about keeping the original finish of the stock, grind out the crack, and use the same epoxy with a faring filler (or any type of fairing compound), fill and sand the cracked area, and paint.

If done properly, the repair will not be visible.

FWIW, many of our rifles are done in camo... Krylon has a line of paints with a dull matte finish just for this purpose, and they do an excellent (and quick/cheap) job...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The stock I worked on is walnut, I think. Before I started, I removed what finish there was (not much - remember Turkish Mauser) with degreaser. When I mixed the Acraglas, I mixed in some of the brown dye, that comes with it. A tiny drop goes a long way. So, on my second try, I got a color, that matched most of the other dings and scrapes. You can't tell there was a crack now. I even scraped and sanded it a little to get the extra Acraglas off of the outer surface. Then I rubbed all of the wood with a couple of coats of BLO. I like it.

Oh, another thing I thought of. You might not have to buy Acraglas from Brownell's and pay shipping. I bought mine at a little gun shop in Idaho.

Verne

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
I hate to sound negative

Cracked or broken wooden stocks are really not good candidates for repair.

In my experience recoil eventually wins. Having a stock break while shooting presents a clear danger to the shooter.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,954 Posts

In my experience recoil eventually wins. Having a stock break while shooting presents a clear danger to the shooter.
I agree - best to find a replacement stock in good shape. Mosin stocks aren't that hard to get - find someone who sporterized his, or who is parting a Mosin out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the responses. Ill have to think a little more on it.

The stock in question is an 1930's winchester .22 (model 59) so I'm not to concerned with recoil. I would buy another stock, but the the rifle is worth more in the 30's stock...and they stopped making parts for em a long time ago.

The break is through and through the wrist (stock is in two pieces) so Ill give the dowels a try.I just gota figure out what kind of wood they used back then.

Anywho, It's not an mosin so it it's off subject here in this thread. I just frequent here a lot and thought some fellow mosin owners would have some experience in repairing stocks...and I was right.

Thanks for the input,

Cell

·
Registered
3 Posts
The stock in question isn't a mosin stock, but I figure I would get some good advise from you guys. I have a stock that's broken through the wrist and was wondering if any of you have done repairs or can point me in the right direction on the net. I did a search here and ended up with a mind boggling amount of posts to go through.

Thanks,

Cell
Found mine on a site called prestigious wood stocks. Would recommend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts