close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stopping Power .357 Magnum VS. 44 Magnum

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ninjatoth, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Sooner Shooter

Sooner Shooter G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I wouldn't even think the 357 would still be in use in law enforcement these days. Is it? Haven't most gone to the 40 or 10mm?

2. ninjatoth

ninjatoth G&G Newbie

I believe most police forces use 9mm or .40s&w.The FBI uses a light loaded 10mm,and a few departments use .45 acp.

3. shootit

shootit G&G Newbie

I own and shoot 9mm, 45acp, 10mm, and .44 magnum. The reason any real shooter has different caliber handguns is because he understands that no one caliber is great at everything. I carry a 9mm with two mags, because it fits in my pocket and I hit what I shoot at with it. It is for an incounter of 30 feet or less. My 45acp is my pillow gun. I sleep with it. It has night sites and an extended 5 1/2 inch threaded barrel. It is in my opinion the very best home protection. The db, and the muzzle flash on a .45acp is lower than any of my other handguns. At night, waking up in the dark, the last thing I want to do is lessen the two main senses needed in an emergency situation. The flash for sight, and the db level for sound. My .45acp is best to do that, and my hand loads are designed to work for me with low flash powder. The very worst handgun for this, is the .357 magnum. It will cause permanent hearing damage after the first shot, and the flash is blinding. I have a few .44 magnums. They are for the Big florida hogs, black bear, and deer. I have a 10 1/2 inch barreled Ruger Super Blackhawk that will handle the hottest loads, and has very little recoil if I shoot my .44 special cowboy loads. Still cant figure out why I bought my Glock 10mm. Guess I just wanted one. My rifles are for another discussion.

Ten Man likes this.
  4. Txwheels

Txwheels G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

When all is said and done, any bullet fired from any gun can be deadly. And the .22 has probably killed more animals and people than any other caliber.
    Caliber arguments are just that, arguments.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  5. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    I've shot a .357 magnum and it is a formidable load, but is pretty violent in comparison to it's sound pressure and recoil. I have only seen someone shoot a 44 magnum and it is the .357 to the 3rd power. Things in its path seem to vanish into thin air. I am not a big revolver guy (sorry about that fellas) but if I were to buy a revolver right now, I would buy a .357 magnum with about a 3" barrel and shoot a lot of 38 special through it.

neophyte likes this.
  6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Meh, I have them both so I don't have to worry.

7. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Excellent First Post!

Welcome to G&G!

ACfixer likes this.
  8. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

The REPLY #3 is EXACTLY why the statistics quoted in the OP are what they are.

Most hand gun shooters can not handle the .44 Magnum as well as the .357 Magnum.

In the ideal scenario of a well practiced .44 Magnum hand gun shooter, the .44 Magnum is definitely going to have more "stopping power" than a .357 Magnum for the EXACT same situation and exact same shot placement. It is simple physics.

The statistics simply show that fewer shooters are capable of effectively handling a .44 Magnum.

Big Dog likes this.
  9. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

Just for info:
    The Barnes VOR-TX 140gr .357 Magnum factory load delivers 20+ inches of penetration in denim/ballistic gel tests at approx. 1260 fps when fired from a 2" snubby. Expansion is over .500".
    That's pretty good performance considering that, due to the seating depth of the all-copper bullet, this is actually a hot .38-44 HV load. Ol' Elmer has to be grinning at this one.

Ten Man likes this.
  10. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

L35-KAPV
    I don't see anyone volunteering to step in front of a 90gr. .380 or a .44 magnum either one. I shoot a 44 magnum all the time, but if you're giving me a choice between 6 rounds of that vs. 15 rounds from a Glock 19 you know which one I'm going to pick.

Caliber arguments are lame.

neophyte and Txwheels like this.
  11. If i was trying to stop someone who was attacking me (think zero distance grappling)
    Gimmie a .44mag with the biggest bullet i can chamber

neophyte likes this.

12. If they're that close, just make sure it's a large revolver....doesn't even have to be loaded lol just club em with it

'Attitude Adjuster'

billy likes this.
  13. The .357 Mag. will do everything that the .44 Mag. will do, except make bigger holes, and the .357 Mag. is a lot more controllable !...................

14. More time's than not I carry my H&R 922-2 anyway !..............

neophyte likes this.
  15. ACfixer

L35-KAPV
    I've sometimes considered putting the S&W 41 in my nightstand, I can knock the nose hairs off of a gnat with it and it never jams... no muzzle flash to speak of, very little noise and virtually zero time getting back on target. I'm not sure how many people could keep coming your way after 10 rounds of 36g HP mini mags.

16. Just depends on if you feel lucky...well do ya PUNK?

17. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.c...explosive-materials-under-federal-laws/169278

IF you had time to fire 5 or 10 of them before the attacker got to you, MAYBE you have a fair argument.

Let's not confuse "stopping power" with killing. A .22 caliber WILL kill, but that does not mean instantly in most cases, nor does it mean it has enough shock effect to stop someone intent on harming/killing you.

If a .22LR were so capable, then I'm sure most of the military forces of the world would be using them.

This thread is about "stopping power" comparison between a .357 Magnum and a .44 Magnum, not about what calibers can be used to kill some critter or person.

18. ACfixer

L35-KAPV
    Which is why I've "sometimes considered" rather than doing it. ;) But I would bet I could use up a magazine in the 41 quicker and more on target than any other gun I own.

Don't worry, there's either a Glock 19 or a Colt 1911 in my nightstand until further notice. :D

Ten Man likes this.
  19. I have never no not once heard of a real incident of over penetration hurting a bystander.
    I think its bullshit

20. The .22LR is faster & has more ft. lbs. of energy than the.32 & .38 Long Colt, and they were both used extensively Law enforcement & Military !..............