close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

storing a barrel

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by flyboy1592, Apr 30, 2002.

1. flyboy1592

flyboy1592 G&G Newbie

I am thinking about getting a SA target grade barrel with a 1-2 TE from the cmp. I Im hoping to store it until the barrel I have is worn out (I am doing this in a attempt to save money later). I have seen cosmoline for sale in spray cans. How should i go about doing this?

2. cosmo in spray cans?

Get a jar of R.I.G. (Rust Inhibiting Grease), work it into a patch for the bore and run it through a few times, smear and rub it on the outside. Roll up the barrel in wax paper. If you want to use cosmoline, get the real stuff from WW2 era: it's basicly a wax with some oil. Melt it, roll the barrel in it, wrap it in wax paper. Hell of a time melting it off though.

3. I've had excellent results with CORROSION X. Several rifles I own after 2 years of storage showed no signs of rust after CORROSION X being put through the barrels.

4. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Too much freakin' work boys. A PVC tube from home Depot, two screw on caps, and some 90-120wt gear oil. Put a sponge in one end of the capped tube, then the barrel, fill with oil, and sponge and cap. It will keep with no air in it for 100s of years.