Storm Reports

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ncnascarlady, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Because of Zeta ripping through, the power has been out since about 8:00 this morning after a few flickers. I of course did the only thing I could; I went back to sleep. Hubby had to take Mom to the doctor for a nerve block, so he had no idea about it until he called me on the way home.

So far there hasn't been any damage here other than a few dead branches coming down. The power will be out for who knows how long. The town substation is down, putting us at the mercy of Duke Energy for the repairs. Add to that the number of trees that have come down, taking power lines with them and it could be days. :rolleyes:

I'll check in as I can, but in the meantime, I'm going back to sleep...

Cyrano, BigEd63, Huey Rider and 6 others like this.
  2. Jim Rau

Jim Rau G&G Evangelist

About 36 hours of a slow rain here in NW Bama. 2.10 inches from Zeta, which puts us at 80+ inches for the year!:)

TXplt, PAPA G, K75RT and 1 other person like this.

3. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

first thing I do when the power goes out is take a hot shower.

BigEd63, PAPA G and neophyte like this.
  4. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

whipping wind-limbs-twigs-some rain sideways-leaves stripping-flower pots blown around-roof covered debris-flag flapping :) Power out :) gutters filled :)

Nothing serious :)

BigEd63, rando, PAPA G and 1 other person like this.
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Well, this hurricane season has roared through the list of names, and now the Greek Alphabet. How will the next ones be named?
    Luckily the vast majority were farts in the wind never hitting land.
    Hurricane season ends in November, so not long to go. But nothing says we can't still have some unseasonable storms.

TXplt, PAPA G, BigEd63 and 2 others like this.
  6. Still no power here, but according to town hall they're getting parts back up and running as quickly as they can. Since a tree took lines down just up the street, we're probably going to be out until tomorrow.

Hurricane season runs through the end of November. I've got a feeling there're going to be at least 2 more storms heading our way.

TXplt, PAPA G, BigEd63 and 2 others like this.
  7. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

Heavy wind and heavy heavy rain. Filled up my rain guage.

TXplt, PAPA G, BigEd63 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Big Dog

Yep, been more Gulf storms this year too. You couldn't pay me enough to live in La. or east Texas Gulf Coast.

TXplt, mauser9, PAPA G and 3 others like this.
  9. neophyte

Power still out :). Unknown :)

rando, TXplt and PAPA G like this.
  10. graybeard

graybeard G&G Evangelist

Very little wind - just a couple inches of rain. Lights are on.

rando, TXplt, PAPA G and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sorry I haven't updated. Seems the power came back around 5:00, but I slept through it...lol When I finally woke up around 7:15, the lights were on.

As for damage, there are a bunch of larger branches down around the yard, but no trees or structural damage to the house or cars. The bulk of the branches are from the elm that got burned when the FD burned the old workshop for us in March 2019. We weren't sure if it would make it but decided to give it a couple of years to see if it would recover. Part of it has, but not enough to save it. So when we finish the sweet gum, it's got to be taken down.

What surprised (and kind of disappointed) me is the dead black gum didn't come down. I was really hoping it would so it would be easier to deal with. Heck, I'd have been thrilled if it snapped half way up and just the top came down. Oh well, guess ya can't have everything...lol

rando, TXplt and PAPA G like this.
  12. neophyte

power retuned @3:30am. Very messy outside:)
    limb n twig reclamation day :)

13. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

We got a whopper thunderstorm, last night, that lasted for about an hour. Our power stayed on, which is quite common for this local electric provider.

TXplt, neophyte and PAPA G like this.
  14. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Sorry to hear of the damage and loss of power for you folks. Been spared up here myself with just rain the last 2 days. Gettin colder now through Sunday. Heart goes out to the many without power and all the damage in Louisiana. They did not need the latest hurricane for sure.

PAPA G, Ten Man, rando and 3 others like this.
  15. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

You be taking care over there Craig and ncnascarlady you are in our thoughts and prayers. Stay warm and well !

ncnascarlady, PAPA G, Ten Man and 2 others like this.
  16. Jim Rau

Jim Rau G&G Evangelist

Ladies and gentlemen, if you do not say WHERE you are the info means nothing!!!;)

PAPA G and neophyte like this.
  17. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I doubt the National Weather Service will get through the whole Greek alphabet, Big Dog. Zeta is thought by those who have no Google Fu to be at the end of the Greek alphabet because it starts with the Latin letter Z. Zeta is in fact equivalent to the Latin F in its position in the alphabet.

If you hear the NWS talking about Phi, Chi, and Psi, then you can start to fret. The final letter of the Greek alphabet is Omega. The National Weather Service has 18 Greek letters to get through before they need to start worrying about what to call the next storm!

18. Big Dog

Aha! I stand corrected. I thought it was strange we'd gone through it so quickly. Thanks.

PAPA G likes this.
  19. Found out I'm among the lucky ones whose got power. There are about 50 homes on the eastern end of town and the tiny town that's just east still completely out.
    About 45 miles NW of Charlotte, NC.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    PAPA G, neophyte and TXplt like this.
  20. neophyte

Charlotte 35.2271° N, 80.8431° W

35.4737° N, 81.2545° W kinda/sorta
    my westward neighbor

update :) hahaha I guessed closely :)

35.3787° N, 81.3790° W

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    PAPA G, ncnascarlady and Huey Rider like this.