close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Storm survival hacks

Discussion in 'Survival Discussions' started by ncnascarlady, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

AK H, how are you set for stored water? It never fails that in addition to having power go out, we also have city water either stop flowing, or it gets fouled as flood waters get into the city/county wells. Private wells get fouled too.
    Then we have to treat the wells with chlorine. Can take a week or two to make it good again.

Ten Man likes this.
  2. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

I have a 50gal water heater so if the water stops all I have to do is turn the drain valve. My city pulls the water from the river so unless an underground main breaks the water in the system should be safe from any flood pollution. I normally have about two cases of bottled drinking water on the shelf at any given time.

ncnascarlady, Ten Man and Big Dog like this.

3. Do you flush your hot water heater regularly? Mine had a serious sediment problem before we redid the lines a couple of years ago and went with pex. Even now I flush it out one a year just to be sure.

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Plastic water jugs - five to seven gallon size - are a cheap investment. Need space to stash them, of course.

5. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

Don't believe it, raw sewage spills into rivers and waterways are a common occurrence even when it floods.

Huey Rider, ncnascarlady and Big Dog like this.
  6. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

Ok if it spills into the river from somewhere. The water dept. cleans & filters it before pumping it into the drinking water system. If the water treatment facility gets flooded out the pumps shut down so that stops any contaminated water from reaching my house. Like I said before it would have to be a water main break before the water in my water heater to be contaminated. If you didn't know around here it is against the law to dump raw sewage into any waterway because of, rain, storm, tornado, hurricane or flood.

7. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Mother nature doesn't adhere to any laws. In case of severe flooding; sewers, drainage canals, etc. back up into rivers, streams and such. Not counting dead animals contaminating the water. Plus you don't know what those living upstream may be doing.

8. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

the laws are the same everywhere I've lived, but it still happens. Also, any contaminated lines have to be flushed (and if you've ever seen a boil advisory) that's a sure indication that something has happened. Regardless, we need to always be thinking safety - in what we do, what we eat, and what we drink.

9. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    That one shows up every time there is a bad hurricane. Thing is, Maytag calls it hogwash; you can find the debunk on their website.. They build good dishwashers, so if they are throwing the BS flag on that hack, they must know what they are talking about.

I think it has something to do with the fact that modern dishwasher doors don't have manual door locks the way the ones made fifty or sixty years ago did. The locking mechanism on current production dishwashers that holds the door shut so it can do its job only engages when the dishwasher is operating.

Huey Rider likes this.