Strange Model 60....

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson' started by Mooseman684, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I came across a very strange Stainless Model 60 Smith .38 spec.2 inch Revolver.
    It has a scorpion etched in the right sideplate and you cannot cock the hammer to fire it...Double action only. Serial Number is R169XXX which was built I believe in 1975-76. Any Ideas on this one guys ???

Rich

2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I really didn't see any until the middle 70,s but they were and still are a popular backup because of their concealibility and dependability.They could be carried in crotch or ankle holsters making them a very desirable backup.Here is a decent article on them. ,,, Smith & Wesson Model 60 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ,,,A PS on them,I always wind up with a sore knuckle on my middle (stink) finger even with standard .38spl.I enjoy it tho.(I think)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010

3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Here are some pics...
    MVC-007S.JPG
    The Scorpion.

MVC-008S.JPG

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

maybe the scorpian is the mark of ownership by Moose gang:slaphappy:

but seriously, from the picture something doesn't look right with the ejector rod meeting the barrel lug. like its bent or something.

5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

No...its not bent, just an optical illusion from the angle of the photo.
    I checked !!!

6. PAPA G

hmmmmm. S&W made DAO 60's but the hammers were bobbed. perhaps yours has got something busted inside.

7. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I saw one of those recently. I was curious. But didn't examine it closely.

I got a 3 inch model 60 in .357 a few years ago. They are really nice little revolvers. I was really surprised by how well it performs. Were a revolver my CCW choice, it would be "be my huckleberry" hands down.

I ran into this article "googling" ... it is a nice review of the model 60.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/Model_60-15.htm

I had no luck "googling" the scorpion snubbie.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  8. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    It looks like the scorpion was etched on the plate. Not hard to do. I would bob the hammer and put different grips on it, then carry it.

9. PAPA G

hey Moose, did ya ever determine if the SA mode is broken???

10. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

After opening it up, it appears that someone ground the sear surface off the hammer, making it Double Action only...I may replace the hammer so it will work single action as well.