Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine gave me a Spam can of 7.62X54r ammo and the can is marked 3-11 and 240 st.Nothing Else !
We opened it up and inside are 12-20rnd. Boxes with German writing on them but no bullet weight and the boxes say Made in USSR in German !
The headstamp is 188 over 78 and it is Brass cased and NON-Magnetic cases and Bullets. So I pulled a bullet and it is 200 Grain FMJ boattail !
This is heavier than Heavy Ball yellow tips and I Can't find any info on this round! Anybody got any Info on this or seen it before ???
Thanks,
Rich

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,326 Posts
I haven't heard of this ammo. I'd suggest asking the guys over at Gunboards.com, in their 'Collector' forum. They are very knowledgable on Mosins.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was sold to my friends father as Sniper ammo years ago so he bought several cases of the stuff and stored it away.It is Nice stuff clean, No lacquer, I just havent had the time to shoot any yet and check the grouping and accuracy.
Rich

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
188 headstamp is from
novosibirsk low voltage equipment plant
30a stantsionnaya st.
novosibirsk 630031 russia

going by some other information i have about different bullets in the 7.62x54 i believe you have what is called match grade bullet,extra brand 300 meter target bullet,200 gr weight.
i have a list of headstamps i got off of cartridge collectors .org
hope this helps don

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Don for the info. My friend has several cases of the stuff so I may have to trade some of my goodies for more of it. It is Beautiful ammo.
Mosin Dave, Come on up to Alaska and you can test some of it !!!
Rich:wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts