Strike Anywhere Matches

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by magicjeep, Aug 24, 2010.

1. magicjeep

magicjeep G&G Enthusiast

I'm looking for strike anywhere matches for my younger cousin, he wants them for when he goes camping. Allegedly they are illegal in NJ, I'm not sure but I've been told this more than once when I asked if a store carried them. I just came home from Pennsylvania and I looked in 2 Walmarts and a Home Depot and no luck. The only place I found them has been online and shipping is ridiculous.

Anyone know if they are illegal in NJ and where I might be able to get them without being killed with shipping?

2. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

Try any of the outdoor stores such as Cabela's or Bass Pro.

3. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    Try any Farm and Garden supply store...that's where I found mine.

4. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Wal Mart, I just bought 8 boxes.

5. runstowin

runstowin G&G Regular

I ordered my matches from REI online, and then picked them up at the store so there was no shipping cost.

6. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

I have seen them at farm type stores here in Missouri.

7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

8. The ones I bought didn't work. Bic's take up less space. Get a fire steel or magnesium stick for him.

9. magicjeep

magicjeep G&G Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies guys. We've checked Walmart, no Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops around, Dicks (the closest thing to one of those stores) doesnt carry them. I will make my way to one of the farm supply stores in the next few days, never thought of those.

Papa, my "modern reorganized state of the art department" doesnt handle Hazmats. Imagine one of the largest departments in the state and we cant do Hazmat. I may take a ride down to Harry's, I havent been down that way in a while. Deer, he has a magnesium stick but he want these matches. I think its a bit of a "cool" factor lighting them w/out a striker.

10. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

If he's going to use them camping, he may want to dip them in wax to make them moisture resistant.

11. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

Our local Rural King store has about a bazillion boxes of these. 79 cents per box. Maybe I should stock up.

At recent gun shows there have been dimwit dealers with signs out saying get them before they are gone and priced from 4-7 dollars per box.

tim

12. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Try a grocery store or multipurpose drug store. Our WallyWorld doesn't carry them, but you can find them most anywhere else. There was a thread about this topic a while back. Apparently, some locales and stores have taken it upon themselves to protect the American public from something they have been told is inherently dangerous -- hmmmm, does that have a familiar ring to it?

There is a guy who sets up at some local shows trying to sell them at $5 for a box of 250, but the store price is more like $3 in a non-discount grocery.

13. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

If you REALLY need them.
    And cant find them.

PM me.
    And you, pay the shipping.
    I will send you a box.

My wife just picked up, another dozen boxes of them.

14. Seven©

Seven© G&G Evangelist

WNC
    I've never had much luck with them either. The Coleman brand (in the orange container) from Walmarts sucked the most.

Buy the kid a Zippo.

15. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I get mine at King Soopers (aka krogers). I think Ace Hardware used to have them, but haven't checked for a while.

16. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

not to change the subject but heres another good shtf use for them; carefully cut the strike tips off the match heads and crush them into powder. VERY CAREFULLY. take fired primers and pry the anvil out of them. take a punch and flatten the firing pin dent out of the primer cup. put the match tip powder into the primer cup and replace the anvil. presto- reloaded primers! they may not give you match accuracy but they will make a cartrige go boom. I have tried it and they work. this info courtesy Uncle Sam. TM 31-210 Improvised Munitions Handbook. lots of other useful info in that book. get it!

17. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    They're illegal to sell in New York, I know that for sure. I think they're illegal to sell in NJ too. Too many cases of kids burning things down with them 60 or 70 years ago. I know they're legal in North Carolina, probably Virginia too; but that's a long way to go to get a couple of boxes of strike-anywhere matches.

Also: be advised you'll probably have to ship them UPS. The Post Office won't ship oxidizers, and strike-anywheres qualify. As a matter of fact, I think they are specifically mentioned on the "things we won't accept as mail" posters they have in the post office.

18. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    blaster, that's how the guerillas in the Phillipines made rifle primers for their Springfields and Enfields before the Navy and the OSS started shipping supplies of guns, ammo & explosives in to the guerilla resistance movement there. They turned down pieces of curtain rod to make bullets and manufactured their own black powder for propellant. Ita Wolfert talked about it in his book, American Guerrilla in the Phillipines.

I agree that TM 31-210 is an excellent book to have in anyone's reference library - but don't expect it to be easy to find. You can sometimes get it from Cheaper Than Dirt but it goes in and out of availability depending on how paranoid CTD's management is feeling about the yankee gummint. Another manual to try and get hold of is The Anarchist's Cookbook; but again, it's not easy to find and for the same reason. I suspect the feds are pressuring bookstores not to carry either manual. They don't want the proles to find out how easy it is to make explosives, never mind blackpowder and smokeless powder.

19. magicjeep

magicjeep G&G Enthusiast

Again thanks for the replies. Gritz thanks for the offer but like Cryano said I dont think they can be shipped USPS and UPS wouldnt be worth it. I'll just keep an eye out in my travels. Besides he's got a few magnesium bars w/ flint.

A side note, I've been searching the net and found a few articles that say stores arent carrying them because of meth labs. Apparently they use the phosphorus tips to process the meth. Dont know if its true or not but I wouldnt doubt it.

20. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Buy him flint, steel & a magnesium firestarter.

Everyone needs to know how to build fire the old fashioned way with a few new tools ;)