Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1858 Remington by Pietta.

I have onlt taken it out twice in the few weeks I have had it. About 35 rounds each time.

The problem is removing the fork shaped trigger and bolt spring. The screw will not budge, I am afraid of messing with it anymore as it is already slightly boogered up from my attempts.

The screw sticks out slightly underneath the cylinder, that in itself suprised me when I first inspected the gun when newly arrived.

I am guessing I wll send it back to EMF and let them make it right.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I suppose you're talking about the trigger and stop screw directly above the trigger. The smaller of the two screws. Mine is flush on both sides of the frame. If yours is not, I would think they may have cross threaded it when they put it in. Especially if you can't budge it. Did you try tightening it a hair and then trying to back it out? If nothing works, I wouldn't mess with it. Would probably void the warrantee.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'd check with EMF and see what they say about it.

Dixie Gun Works sells replacement screws for the revolver. If you don't have any gun smithing bits or screw drivers, they come in real handy. I picked up a Chapman bit set at Midway Usa after messing a screw up on my 1858 Pietta with a regular screw driver.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yep, you have a problem. The trigger/bolt spring screw should not stick up out of the frame. You have shot it so the threads that are showing are probably full of rust and residue. If you are not going to send it back and are going to repair it your self, clean these threads really good before trying to unscrew it. If that don’t work, I would suggest cutting off the screw where it sticks out of the frame and filing it flush with the frame before trying to screw it out. If you force it out of the frame you are going to mess up the threads in the frame. If you do try to get it out and break the head off the screw, don’t try to screw it out. Rather, try to screw the broken screw up through the frame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts