close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stuck Shut-Off Valve

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Calvin, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Anyone here ever had to deal with a stuck shut-off yet? I got one today that is frozen and refuses to move. The button pushes in but will not rotate. I'm soaking it in oil right now, hoping it will free itself. If it doesn't do anything by tomorrow night, I'm gonna heat it up with a torch, but I would like to avoid that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. TIA

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Did you take off the gas tube yet?

3. Stuck shut off--what are you typing about?

4. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Yeah, I got the tube off. The shut-off button can be pressed down, but the shut-off won't turn. Best I can figure, it's rusted in place. I'm either gonna heat it up with a torch or try shooting the rifle until it gets hot enough to turn.

Alan, on the Yugo SKS's there's a gas shut-off feature so grenades could be launched without blowing the gas system up. It's on the gas cylinder, just ahead of the gas tube. Turning it off allows the gas from the fired cartridge to pass completely without operating the gas piston. This saves the gas system from the stresses of launching a grenade.

5. Thanks Calvin mine's a Norinco pre ban. I wasn't familiar with the Yugo.

6. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

If you get a chance, pick up one of the Yugo SKS's. This one was sitting in a pile that no one wanted. I decided to adopt this one, and outside of the shut-off, it's a great rifle. got another one last week and they are really neat.

7. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Well, I would carefully clean it with brake cleanr first then hit it with penetrating oil and keep trying to move it, preferably back and forth. You know how the cleaning position works, right?

8. Calvin,

The Yugos have a non-chromed barrel, correct?

I was concerned about the wear on those.

Has anyone heard anything about the wear.....is it excessive? Is it a concern?

If no, why not? etc......thanks.

9. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I got it to move a little, so I guess I'll keep it oiled for a while longer and see what happens. As far as the cleaning position, I know what you're talking about. I guess this one was a little mistreated when it was issued, so I'm just gonna be patient.

I've never used brake cleaner on a firearm before, Klaus and was wondering if it works to free up things like this without hurting the finish too bad. I'm assuming you wipe up the excess ASAP, correct?

Dale, you are correct about the barrels not being chrome-lined. As far as the wear, it's not a concern. Only thing is, all of the ammo the Yugoslavians used was corrosive and some of their personnel didn't clean their rifles like they should have, as evidenced by my latest SKS. The barrels are very well made, so as long as you keep it clean, you should have no problems. I've got a bore lapping kit, and it works wonders on mistreated rifle barrels. Funny thing is, the barrel on this rifle is as shiny as a new quarter. I don't understand how the shut-off froze like it did. Oh, well, that's the breaks.

10. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Brake cleaner will not damge metal, blued or otherwise, but keep it off the wood, of course. I had assumed, with the work you were doing, you had taken the stock off.

11. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Yeah. Got it stripped down as far as I can. I guess I'll hit the garage and get out the brake cleaner and give it a try.
    Thanks, Klaus.

12. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Yeah, the gas valve is the Yugo's weak point. Mine had some leakage, but was easy enough to fix. Another problem some are encountering is the tube being so corroded inside that it passes too much gas, causing the rifle to "short cycle". Another guy on one of the other sites said that the russian and chinese gas tubes will fit the Yugo fine, they just don't have the flare on the front end. Tapco also has a new gas tube for the Yugos - so help is out there.

13. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Too much gas would not cause short cycling, it would have the opposite effect. Cycling would become very energetic, throwing brass real far. Blockage would cause short cycling.

14. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Clarification for misunderstanding:
    The corroded gas tube allows too much gas to pass by the piston, thus not cycling the action properly. Like an automotive engine with bad/missing rings. Thus, replacing with a new tube returns the gas system to correct functioning.
    I haven't had this problem myself, just passing on info from others who have.

15. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Considering the thin gauge of the cylinder, it is hard for me to imagine iiiit being possible to enlarge the ID enough to get the kind of blow by you desribed. It seems much more likely that corrosion would eat a hole in the wall first, which would cause short cycling by bleeding off gas.

16. Well I don't know any thing about yugo's, but if the piston has rings like a car and it does not make a good seal against the wall of the tube --maybe corrosion. Then how can you expect it to have good compression. Look this my opinion--clean all carbon off of rings if the tube wall is pitted you are wasting you time--replace it
    The ID might be fine but any imperfections to the wall could cause leakage.

17. If Yugos are so Great

Then why all the problems???

18. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

It's a small problem caused by corrosive ammo and a poor cleaning regimine on the Yugoslavians end. It's easily fixed, though....