Students Silenced for Singing Anthem at Lincoln Memorial

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by grizcty, Aug 13, 2010.

1. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

2. White Rook

White Rook G&G Evangelist

I am suprised we can still fly the U.S. Flag on our own property.

3. Jellybean18

Jellybean18 G&G Newbie

looks like the search for the douchebag of the day is over!

4. turds

nothing political about the national anthem

5. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

There's lots that needs to be set right in our Government. Hope we vote enough incumbents out in 2010 to make a start.

6. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

The day that they ban.:rant:
    Flying my AMERICAN flag on MY property.
    That many of us FOUGHT to defend! :usa2:

Will be the day, that Websters Dictionary.
    Has to redefine the meaning of, "Going Postal":hmmm:

:handgun:

7. The worst thing about all the anti-American rhetoricis is that some Americans are accepting all the political correctness that has been going around. It is the responsibility of our political leaders to stop this sort of thing and that has not happened. Nowadays, people are being taught that is not ok to be patriotic toward your own country.

8. thoricuncle

thoricuncle G&G Newbie

To be fair....

They were singing the National Anthem inside the Memorial. If they had moved 25 feet back, they could have sung to their hearts content. The Parks service was just trying to maintain the reverence of the location. I am sure that is no easy task.

There are places for everything. Although I love the Star Spangled banner, it would be inappropriate to start singing it during Church or a funeral.

9. Mmmmm,

I suppose they could have been bussed to the ground zero site in New York City to carry signs welcoming the mosque. That would be in line with the current thinking of what passes for leadership in our nation.

10. thoricuncle

thoricuncle G&G Newbie

I agree, I can't believe the insensitivity that they are showing by building a mosque there, it boggles the mind.

Please don't take my prior comment to mean that I agree with ANYTHING the current administration is doing.

11. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

Let's be even more fair. There were other visitors besides the students that joined the students in song that were not told to shut up or leave. That is discrimination, plain and simple. There was no complaint, the parks service employee acted on their own by determining that what the students, and only the students, were doing constituted a political demonstration.
    It would hardly be inappropriate to sing the National Anthem in church if everyone in the congregation were singing it. In fact, the church I went to in my youth began its Bible school class with a Pledge to both the Christian flag and Old Glory.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  12. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

The good chances are that the Park Official is probably some immigrant or grown-up baby of some illegal who didn't even realize it was the National Anthem. Those jobs are always filled via affirmative action.

13. All I can say is "Pathetic"!

14. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I'm not certain where to start, here.

The National Anthem is not political. That song belongs to every American! It defines the character of our nation. Do you know, thoricuncle, that of all the 180-odd national anthems in the world, ours is the only one that begins and ends with a question? It has been suggested that's why we are who we are; we are constantly questioning everything.

Abraham Lincoln was a President of the United States. Some say he was the greatest President ever to fill the office. How is it disrespectful for American high school students to sing our National Anthem at his memorial? Had I been there, either I'd have snapped to attention or I'd have walked over to the Park Service cop and suggested he just let it ride. The Lincoln Memorial is certainly not a church, and so far as I know no one has ever held a funeral there.

People in this country bend over backwards in the name of political correctness to avoid offending anybody. From what I can tell, the politicians who give the National Park Service its orders are now bending over so far backwards their heads are stuck up their asses! If the yankee government was willing to put up with Mahalia Jackson singing "My Country 'Tis of Thee" at the Lincoln Memorial; long-haired hippie-type pinkos singing protest songs and making inflammatory speeches at the Lincoln Memorial; and Martin Luther King delivering his "I have a dream" speech at the Lincoln Memorial, surely the government can't feel threatened by a group of kids spontaneously singing the National Anthem at or even inside the Lincoln Memorial!

15. I think it shows that people (especially children) understand their roots and heritage. As cyrano stated; our politicians are more worried about offending others that they have forgotten their own cultur and heritage.

Let us never forget that this is still AMERICA and most citizens are proud to call themselves AMERICANS!

If people want to become citizens of the U.S. they need to learn our culture, heritage, and beliefs. I am not saying they cannot hang on to their culture, however, they need to learn the background of their new country.