Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,148 Posts
Found a Gibson acoustic guitar in it's case on the side of the road when returning from a night out with wife and friends. The case looked new but the guitar had some age. I refinished it and used it for many years. Gave it to a friend that played but didn't have one and couldn't afford to buy one. It had a pink paisley guitar strap when I found it, so it probably belonged to a girl.

·
Registered
10,935 Posts
the next town over is a tourist town and we are on the cross roads to Yellowstone.
I find flip-flop's, tennis shoes, towels, cooler lids, bungee cord's, half's of ratchet straps.

last good thing I found was a 6gal. and a 2 gal. gas can without that stupid lock thingy I can't figure out how to open.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I like riding bicycle too & yes I do find quite a few things on the roads. I have found many tools but I think the biggest things I have found are gas cans & 5 gal buckets.
I also like kayaking & I find so much fishing stuff that I started putting it at the docks close to the place I find it. It got to every time I picked up my kayak more stuff would fall out, so I stopped keeping it.
I'm thinking about going magnet fishing on the lakes close to roads, I wonder how many hot guns I'll find.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I like riding bicycle too & yes I do find quite a few things on the roads. I have found many tools but I think the biggest things I have found are gas cans & 5 gal buckets.
I also like kayaking & I find so much fishing stuff that I started putting it at the docks close to the place I find it. It got to every time I picked up my kayak more stuff would fall out, so I stopped keeping it.
I'm thinking about going magnet fishing on the lakes close to roads, I wonder how many hot guns I'll find.
Let us know if you find a 1921 Thompson

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
I found a nice surf board one morning on the side of the highway. Someone heading to the ocean to ride waves and lost it I bet. Also so many life jackets I found that blew out of trailered boats. We are surrounded by water and boats going to river drop all sorts of stuff. I have even found coolers and crab traps. About a year ago I was in the van at work finishing up a job in the city. I have a BMW stop in front of me and cant get by. Suddenly a guy on a bicycle comes flying up and they make a drug deal. Looks like a hand shake and I am pissed and start yelling and beeping the horn. The guy on the bicycle quickly shoves a wad of money into his back pocket. They both pull off and the money falls out of back pocket. He barely tucked it in and was in a hurry to get out of there. I throw van in park and run out and grab money. I counted money and was three $20 bills. I actually yelled at the guy with my window down and held up money. I said thanks for the money as I went down the road. I am not going to give a drug dealer back his money. Anyone else I would have returned it to them.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Also so many life jackets I found that blew out of trailered boats
I lost a tackle box full of fishing gear out of a boat!:oops: Was about a 2 hour drive from home, but my fishing buddy & I went back & for several miles of the rough part, where we guessed it could have bounced out, drove about 10 MPH with lights on both sides of the road but no joy! Tried to picture in my mind, actually picking up off the ground & putting it in the boat, but couldn't. Someone got some good stuff!:(

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Imagine him working in a scrapyard?

Reactions: neophyte and rando

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
I have always put many hours on roads, interstates, beltways and small highways. I have seen so much stuff in the roads and shoulder. Sometimes I could not stop to retrieve the item because of forbidden traffic. I have seen more cell phones, ratchets and sockets and even suit cases. I just remembered my best find a little while ago. It was maybe 15 to 18 years ago I was in my service van driving. It was winter and starting to snow heavy . I came off of this busy road and up ramp onto beltway. Traffic all backed up from snow. I am creeping a few feet at a time and see some glittering stuff in the snow. It was beside me and in front and on shoulder. I then see a little box. I get out because traffic not moving. It was all watches and jewelry. I grabbed the box and was a light blue jewelry box laying there with contents spread . I hurriedly picked up all I could see that was showing through the snow. I forgot about the stuff for awhile and stuck it away. I had a friend was half owner of a gold, jewelry and pawn shop. He asked to see the stuff. He gave me like $1400 for the stuff. It was all real gold. He gave me scrap gold price at the time.

·
Registered
18,887 Posts
This is a long story, but a true one:

Many years ago, at my first newspaper job, there was a gentleman who would renew his subscription on a monthly basis using only pennies.

The secretary was grumbling after he left that she had to roll those pennies before she could deposit them. She didn't understand why a "millionaire" paid with pennies.

This got my attention...a millionaire?

The next time he came in, I was the only one in the office. I had time that day, so I asked why he paid in pennies. He told me the whole story.

The man had volunteered to fight in Vietnam fairly early on. His dad and all his dad's WWII buddies told him how proud they were, and each of his father's friends told him as soon as he got back, there would be a job waiting for him. (My dad went through something similar)

After two tours, though, the political landscape had changed. He arrived home to find that no one wanted to hire a "baby killer." There were no jobs to be had for a vet. (Again, my dad went through something similar)

One day he was walking across the grocery store parking lot, and he saw a penny. As he was picking it up, he found a quarter a little bit further along. For hours he circled around and picked up loose change, and eventually he had enough to pay for another day at the Y, and for a meal. After that success he began to get up every morning before dawn, and circle every parking lot in the area for change. Around 9 each day he would resume his job search, or work odd jobs around town for a little money. Through this process he was finally able to rent a little crappy apartment, and pay for enough food to get by.

One day a former classmate of his pulled up next to him. The classmate had gotten a deferment, avoided the draft, and had become a bank vice president while the man fought for his country.

The classmate assumed the worst, seeing his old friend in shabby, but clean, clothes picking up loose change. He offered him a job cleaning out repossessed houses.

It was pretty much a dream scenario. The man liked doing odd jobs, the money was decent, and he got to keep anything he found in the houses, and could make extra money selling the items.

Before too long he got a reputation for good and fast work, and another bank hired him as well.

Not long after that, he had to take on an employee to help him.

A few years went by and the local Sheriff approached him and asked if he was Hazmat certified. There had been a long-undiscovered suicide, and there was a significant mess. The man was not Hazmat certified, but he asked the Sheriff if the job could be held off while he sought certification.

Since there was no one else in Jefferson Country certified at the time, and since the mess was already months old, the Sheriff agreed.

Two weeks later, and a little loan money later, and the man had all the certification and equipment to do a hazmat cleanup of this type. Pretty soon he was being sought out by apartment buildings, banks, and law enforcement all over the state. He hired several more employees, made sure they all had various certifications, and expanded into Asbestos removal and other cleanup operations.

Before too long, though, he realized that he was spending all his time doing paper work, and that he hated it.

He walked up to his first employee, handed him the keys, and told him that if he promised to cut him a monthly check for a small percentage of the profits for the rest of his life, he could have the business.

He retired a multi-millionaire, with a steady income to boot, at the ripe old age of 50. Then he realized he had nothing to do with his time.

He hated golf, he had had his fill of shooting in the war, he liked to live simply, so he was not a collector, and he needed something to occupy his time.

So, he made a map of the area of all the large parking lots, and he began picking up change as a hobby. He could still pick up enough in a day to cover three meals a day, and often had enough left over to put in his play-money jar. The pennies were kept separately from the rest, and he used those to pay for his subscription, because none of us ever acted put-out by it, and to pay Alabama Power because they were jerks, and it DID seem to put them out.

·
Registered
14,632 Posts
Back in 1977 my brother and I found a Colt Gold Cup Special 1911 cocked & locked.

Dad turned it into the sheriff dept.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts