Gun and Game Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
5,545 Posts
Recenty, I found a 16# sledge hammer with a hickory handle. Not trying to buck the OP, but walking the roads allows you to find stuff too. I found a Miller Welding self darkening welding helmet, it needed a new sweat band and head strap. I found a nice 3# Estwing hammer as well as a UK 4AA waterproof flashlight used by fire services. Two days ago I heard a metallic clanging sound when a truck turned a corner. He dropped and left 3 eight foot section of 2" galvanized pipe..

· Registered
1,314 Posts
During WWII I would lay on the front lawn in Monroe, NY and watch the US AAF trainers from nearby Stewart Field in Newburg, NY. Sometimes there were many, flying in formations.

One day I saw something fall from one of the aircraft and land in the woods.

I found a gas mask.

Being a good little citizen, I ran to our next-door neighbor, who was a NY State Trooper, and handed it over.

About a week later I saw his nephew running around the yard, wearing the gas mask.

· Registered
9,170 Posts
Best find ever...in the hills about 2 miles from my home (I was 14) and out doing some rabbit hunting west of Santa Fe, NM. Wrote down the license number and headed home, called the police and they took a report, no officer response so I called a second time, still nothing. Mom called the police and was furious they had not responded, well a police office showed up about 10 minutes later, we drove to the location, the officer called for a tow truck, a radio call from another officer asked for confirmation of the license and description of the car, IT WAS HIS CAR. He came by the house after his shift and thanked me...they determined I had reported it within two hours of it being stolen.

· Registered
9,170 Posts
I have found a set of car keys on a hiking trail in the Santa Fe National Forest, turned them in to the Panger's Station. Found a super nice stone axe head and misc arrow heads, gems and minerals, old tools, an old animal trap (see similar image below), old antique bottles, green glass telephone pole insulators, knives, Civil War bullets at Glorieta Pass (see link for background and importance)
Brown Body jewelry Jewellery Font Wood

Old buckboard wagon with broken wheel, left in tact.
Alleyyooper, thanks for starting this thread, brought back some great old memories.

· Registered
9,170 Posts
Puma White Hunter
Code: 81173
Your Puma knife was made in the 3rd quarter of year 1971
Close but no winner.
This knife was found in a neighborhood park about a mile from where I grew up, it was partially obscured by grass along a wall. It was manufactured in 71 and I would have been a senior in high school (grad in 72). I joined the AF in 73 and retired in 2003.

If you like knives check out this G&G thread. You will see my US made KaBar knife that I bought at Western Auto as a young teenager.

· Registered
389 Posts
I was squirrel hunting Sunday and discovered I had lost my spare loaded magazine for my Browning BuckMark. :oops:
After picking up the only squirrel I spotted and then shot during the high wind day, I meandered back to places where I have may have dropped it. The only place left was to look where I climbed the fence to enter the woods. And yep, there it was! :giggle:

· <------------<<<-
4,609 Posts
My dad and I found a moose skeleton once while grouse hunting. We kept the skull, and I ended up giving it to my high school science teacher for display.

Another time, my grandpa and I found a weasel skull while picking wild blue berries.

Other than those, I’ve found numerous bones and shed antlers.

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,293 Posts
The oddest thing I ever saw was my first and dead Armadillo in Arkansas on our families property about 45years ago.
Had to think over what I was looking at first....I imagine the critter froze and or starved over the Winter. Sun Bleached bones and scales.

· Registered
2,981 Posts
When I used to hunt Chickahominy WMA in Virginia there was an old Plymouth sedan right on the boundary line. I would guess maybe a 1948 model but I'm not entirely sure. Anyhow, all of the glass was busted out. I was carrying a .32 S&W Long revolver and shot into the door. The bullet didn't go through both sides.

· Registered
389 Posts
Puma White Hunter
Code: 81173
Your Puma knife was made in the 3rd quarter of year 1971
View attachment 176332
I am a professional knife maker of many years. When that knife was made it was acceptable but by today's standards, it would draw dust in a display counter. Some years ago some leading factory knife makers hired and still retain professional knife makers to design and sign off on their knives for good reason.

I am not dissing above knife, was a selling item and I am sure the workmanship was fine.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts