Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a student at the wonderful University of Southern Mississippi. Last semester my grades were very poor so this semester I have gone above and beyond to do well in my classes.

Over the week end i came down with Strep-throat "sp" One of my teachers had an assignment due monday which was to be due during scheduled class time.

I was going to try and make it to class, but I was up all night being sick. Unfourtnately I overslept. Once I was awake i ran to my computer and emailed the assignment. It was 15minutes after the class had ended.

I didn't figure he would even notice the assignment being just a few minutes late. But sure enough he did and emailed me saying "No credit, due during class time"

I sent him an email explaining how i was sick and the whole situation, and asked that he please make an exception to his iron clad rules. His reply was simply " Sorry No"

I know that one grade is not going to make or break me in the class, but the point is. I did the questions he assigned and in addition to those I also did all the rest for the entire chapter that he didn't even assign.

Here I am paying this mans salary and all I asked was for credit for the work i did and he is refusing to bend at all. It just makes me sick. I can't imagine telling some sick student, tough luck, when they did the freaking assignment!!!

I guess some people just enjoy making peoples lives miserable.

Have you guys ever had a special stubborn teacher that is more concerned with rules than education ???

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Sure I have. But you can't expect them to really make exceptions because then they will always have to. I'm studying to be a teacher and I understand why he didn't do it. It has happened to me a few times, but I blame myself really.

·
Devil's Advocate >:)
7,445 Posts
We all have had those types of teachers. I've had them moreso now that I am in professional school, and you'd better believe I don't make the mistake of turning in an assignment late even if I'm sick. I email the course director at any little sign of being sick or not being able to complete my clinical/scholastic duties. Even then they don't always allow exceptions. As you advance through your education you're expected more and more to act like an adult. Sometimes it can be a swift reality kick to the arse that doesn't really seem fair. There are very few excuses when you're an adult that are tolerated in institutes of higher learning.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
18,992 Posts
I've learned alot from everyone, including "stupid" teachers and bosses.

Sometimes, I was the one who was stupid--I just didn't know it at the time.

Other times, the individual was just a jerk or despot. Even from them, I well learned how to NOT treat others. This is a very valuable lesson in and amongst itself.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We all have had those types of teachers. I've had them moreso now that I am in professional school, and you'd better believe I don't make the mistake of turning in an assignment late even if I'm sick. I email the course director at any little sign of being sick or not being able to complete my clinical/scholastic duties. Even then they don't always allow exceptions. As you advance through your education you're expected more and more to act like an adult. Sometimes it can be a swift reality kick to the arse that doesn't really seem fair. There are very few excuses when you're an adult that are tolerated in institutes of higher learning.

I am an adult, and am also a professional at what I do; and I'm positive that if I show up to a closing 15 minutes late my client will not walk out of the deal. In the real world people tend to be a bit more understanding and mature when dealing with business situations. I'm not in college to be the guy taking orders at McDonalds taking $hit off people.

If anything the teacher is not treating me as an adult but as a child. Two adults would be able to come to a rational understanding. An employer isn't going to not pay someone for coming in late to work especially when the employee is sick. "At least not an employer I would have anything to do with."

I may could see if it were some big assignment or if it were a day late, but it was just a stupid homework that was 15 minutes late. It's not the end of the world by any means, but it just pisses me off that I did my work and some prick decides he can't make an exception and accept the work I did, and give me the credit I earned.

I know that if I had been able to drag myself up there and hand it too him 15 minutes after class he would had accepted it.

This isn't the fist time in my life something like this has happened. I usually don't give 2cents what happens in school, but the fact that i stayed up the night before doing the work while being sick and him denying me credit has really bruised my nads.

Sorry for the venting guys. I would go stand on my deck and yell but the neighbors are asleep.:scool:

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I had a teacher in high school, who would go out of her way to give me hell, it got so bad, that I eventually complained to the superintendent. It was ridiculous, she would pitch a fit whenever I would miss days, and she accused me of forcing my parents to do my homework, she more than once told me that I was bound to be stuck in the 11th grade for the rest of my life. I even remember her calling my house on a few occasions, to ask my parents about my behavior at home. Just because one is a teacher, doesn't mean that they are a moral authority, and have the right to invade the privacy of others. And yes, I had a passing grade in every subject. :D

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sure I have. But you can't expect them to really make exceptions because then they will always have to. I'm studying to be a teacher and I understand why he didn't do it. It has happened to me a few times, but I blame myself really.

I expect a teacher to make an exception when it was turned in only 15 minutes late. And I have a written doctors excuse as to why i didn't make it to class.

I understand teachers having to stick to their "guns" with students or the students would run them over quickly. But a teacher who is in a position of power should also have understanding and the ability to realize that all situations aren't black and white. I feel my case was more of a grey area and I hoped the teacher would use better judgement and understanding.

btw what do you plan on teaching KGunner?? My fiancee is majoring in Biological Sciences and is planing on getting her teaching certificate also. Schools are always looking for math/science teacher it seems. She has been having a very tough time with her classes also, Organic II mainly.

Luckily there is a private college in our town so we may be transferring next semester. I here it is a much better school, but will cost quiet a bit more.

I had a teacher in high school, who would go out of her way to give me hell, it got so bad, that I eventually complained to the superintendent. It was ridiculous, she would pitch a fit whenever I would miss days, and she accused me of forcing my parents to do my homework, she more than once told me that I was bound to be stuck in the 11th grade for the rest of my life. I even remember her calling my house on a few occasions, to ask my parents about my behavior at home. Just because one is a teacher, doesn't mean that they are a moral authority, and have the right to invade the privacy of others. And yes, I had a passing grade in every subject. :D

I hope she isn't teaching at USM now :09:

Can someone tell me how to re-title this thread. "Stupid Teachers" sounds politically incorrect. I would like to re-title it "Inconsiderate Teacher"

·
Devil's Advocate >:)
7,445 Posts
I am an adult, and am also a professional at what I do; and I'm positive that if I show up to a closing 15 minutes late my client will not walk out of the deal. In the real world people tend to be a bit more understanding and mature when dealing with business situations. I'm not in college to be the guy taking orders at McDonalds taking off people.

If anything the teacher is not treating me as an adult but as a child. Two adults would be able to come to a rational understanding. An employer isn't going to not pay someone for coming in late to work especially when the employee is sick. "At least not an employer I would have anything to do with."

I may could see if it were some big assignment or if it were a day late, but it was just a stupid homework that was 15 minutes late. It's not the end of the world by any means, but it just pisses me off that I did my work and some prick decides he can't make an exception and accept the work I did, and give me the credit I earned.

I know that if I had been able to drag myself up there and hand it too him 15 minutes after class he would had accepted it.

This isn't the fist time in my life something like this has happened. I usually don't give 2cents what happens in school, but the fact that i stayed up the night before doing the work while being sick and him denying me credit has really bruised my nads.

Sorry for the venting guys. I would go stand on my deck and yell but the neighbors are asleep.:scool:
I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree that he's maybe being a jerk about it. From my experience nobody cares what your personal issues are, they only care that you contribute your part.

One of my friends is from overseas and she bought a plane ticket that cost thousands of dollars so she could go home and see her family during the summer. She purchased this ticket way in advance of us receiving our schedules for our rotations. She went and talked to one of the deans of education to see if they would let her reschedule her so she could go home to see her family. The class we had to take was very insignificant and we knew how to do everything they were teaching us during that one week intro course. Dean said no. She had to cancel her ticket and eat the cost. $500 dollars non-refundable fee.

Not everyone is going to be nice to you, even when you do things right 99% of the time. It's always that one time when you're not at your best that things come down the hardest. Take your hit and roll with it. Learn from it. Never make that mistake again.

Maybe if you go talk to him in person he might at least give you partial credit.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
If you have a doctors excuse, they should grant you in return the amount of time you missed while out sick. What I mean is this, if you missed 1 day, you have 1 day extra. 2 days, 2 days extra and so on. Obviously, there are those that will take or have taken advantage of something like this which is why this teacher and others are the way they are and have rules. But I would think, and this is my opinion, if you have a doctors excuse, and it was, only 15 minutes after class, he could have allowed it.

If it were me, I'd email everything to someone who can maybe ask him allow it. Show the doctors excuse to prove you were indeed out sick. I could be wrong, I haven't a clue as to how college lifeworks. I suppose, and you'll find employers similar as well, next time, go in sick as hell, make sure if you have to puke, you puke on his desk or him or his shoes. I'd make sure to get HIM or HER sick. It would depend on the situation though.

I only say this because I've worked at places that gave/give you sick time, but frowned on you using it. Then when you do go in sick, the boss comes out looking for you, sees and hears you puking, then gets on your case for not being at your desk. God I hated working for other people. Now, I'd love to just have a job.

I hate it but it's a fact of life. The few have ruined it for the many in every possible way,shape and form...I can only suggest, in the future, plan for all possible contingencies. lol

Dean said no. She had to cancel her ticket and eat the cost. $500 dollars non-refundable fee.
Now see, that's just crap. Money is hard to come by. Especially for students. Most are and will be deep in debt for many years after school. I'm sorry, but I'd of just gone otherwise that would have just pissed me off to no end. Which is why I'd of just gone anyhow. I mean, I'm probably going to be in debt anyhow, so what's a little more to take that class over again?

But that's just wrong. WRONG WRONG WRONG. lol

·
Premium Member
7,701 Posts
How long did you know about the assignment? I'm going to guess it was more than a day ago.

College isn't a joke, or anything like highschool. Harsh, and sometimes cruel, but they can't make an exceptions for one without everyone wanting one.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Just get your assignments done ahead of time and turned in......!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Teachers, being a boss, being a highway patrolman, have a lot in common when it comes to evaluating excuses and wondering if it's worth making exception to. Many times even if you can prove you have a legitimate excuse you still pay the price. I wish I had been one that was always early with assignments but I wasn't and waited until the very last minute.

I remember in hs geometry class the instructor had a rule on the way you put your name on the paper. Everything had to be perfect. I believe it was that your name had to be in the upper right hand corner. Below that had to be the hour 4th hour,5th hour etc. and the date below that and had to be folded lengthwise with the name either being inside or out (can't remember). Any mistake on any of those four things and the test you took was void whether you aced it or not. Really didn't like this guy but I guess he had his reasons. Big Tool hang in there. I know you're mad because I've been there too. Life will throw a lot of things like this at you and each time you'll learn something from it.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Personally I think he was giving students a heck of a break just by accepting e-mailed tests during class time,setting you're alarm clock might have saved the day.:drive:

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
BigTool- It's 2 drops in a bucket! Don't let anyone get you down.

·
Premium Member
18,914 Posts
A lotof instructors have their own ways of preparing you for the harsh realities of life after school. Many of my courses were taken in the service, and if you'd like to compare, talk to any veteran about the harshness of military instructors. They don't follow political correctness! And if you ain't in class, you better be dead, or laying in the dispensary, on your last legs!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
How long did you know about the assignment? I'm going to guess it was more than a day ago.

College isn't a joke, or anything like highschool. Harsh, and sometimes cruel, but they can't make an exceptions for one without everyone wanting one.
I had been out for a few days, and he dosen't answer emails very promptly. I contacted one of my class mates and found out about the assignment. It wasn't a big assignment, just a weekly homework.

He gives the homework assignments weekly and he only assigns certain questions from the book. He usually only assigns 5-6 but I went ahead and did all 18. Which I'm sure will help me on next weeks finals. :burnout:

I don't think college is any harder than Highschool. I've actually had many college classes that were much easier than in highschool. The difference being a good teacher vs a not so good teacher.

Just get your assignments done ahead of time and turned in......!!!!

I usually do, but i've been a sick mofo here lately. Hard to think objectively when you have a 103 Fever :09:

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I won't slam you your your teacher but was wondering if you heard about the teacher thats suing here ex students because she was so dumb she screwed up here presentation? she left and go a job somewhere else and the school was glad to be rid of her because she was an idiot.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Teachers, being a boss, being a highway patrolman, have a lot in common when it comes to evaluating excuses and wondering if it's worth making exception to. Many times even if you can prove you have a legitimate excuse you still pay the price. I wish I had been one that was always early with assignments but I wasn't and waited until the very last minute.

I remember in hs geometry class the instructor had a rule on the way you put your name on the paper. Everything had to be perfect. I believe it was that your name had to be in the upper right hand corner. Below that had to be the hour 4th hour,5th hour etc. and the date below that and had to be folded lengthwise with the name either being inside or out (can't remember). Any mistake on any of those four things and the test you took was void whether you aced it or not. Really didn't like this guy but I guess he had his reasons. Big Tool hang in there. I know you're mad because I've been there too. Life will throw a lot of things like this at you and each time you'll learn something from it.

It's odd that the two people your are comparing "police/teachers" are both being paid by us the "Tax payer/ Student". It seems they should be serving us.

I've also had teachers who were very strict about name placement. Little nit picky crap like that drives me nuts. I'm not a very structured person. No one in my family is for that matter. I come from a line of entrupreneurs.

I won't slam you your your teacher but was wondering if you heard about the teacher thats suing here ex students because she was so dumb she screwed up here presentation? she left and go a job somewhere else and the school was glad to be rid of her because she was an idiot.

I don't mean to slam the guy. He's actually a pretty decent guy, I was just venting alittle.:)

I haven't heard about that one.

A lotof instructors have their own ways of preparing you for the harsh realities of life after school. Many of my courses were taken in the service, and if you'd like to compare, talk to any veteran about the harshness of military instructors. They don't follow political correctness! And if you ain't in class, you better be dead, or laying in the dispensary, on your last legs!
I can only imagine that millitary instructors would be extremely strict. Details can mean for life or death for those guys.

BigTool- It's 2 drops in a bucket! Don't let anyone get you down.

Thanks Steve. The teacher isn't going to get me down.

The funk I have is another story. Doctor put me on some type of oral steroid the other day that has me feeling much better today.

Next week I have finals, and Next Friday I'll be going to TN to get married. Needless to say my nerves are shot.

Personally I think he was giving students a heck of a break just by accepting e-mailed tests during class time,setting you're alarm clock might have saved the day.:drive:

It is nice being able to email in homework. The fever kept me up all night. Nyquil finally put me to sleep and when it did I was out cold. My alarm clock didn't have a chance of waking me up:09:

I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree that he's maybe being a jerk about it. From my experience nobody cares what your personal issues are, they only care that you contribute your part.

One of my friends is from overseas and she bought a plane ticket that cost thousands of dollars so she could go home and see her family during the summer. She purchased this ticket way in advance of us receiving our schedules for our rotations. She went and talked to one of the deans of education to see if they would let her reschedule her so she could go home to see her family. The class we had to take was very insignificant and we knew how to do everything they were teaching us during that one week intro course. Dean said no. She had to cancel her ticket and eat the cost. $500 dollars non-refundable fee.

Not everyone is going to be nice to you, even when you do things right 99% of the time. It's always that one time when you're not at your best that things come down the hardest. Take your hit and roll with it. Learn from it. Never make that mistake again.

Maybe if you go talk to him in person he might at least give you partial credit.

That's the kind of stuff that bothers me.

I have a feeling that speaking in person will proabably yield a better result. Email dose't do the best job of transferring feelings, and judging by his response he probably got to "can you make an exception" part and just said no without reading the rest of the email.

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,158 Posts
Wow this is a normal reaction from the prof.
I think when you get to class in a polite way show him the doctors excuse and i believe he will have some restitution. Thats of course if you have been a demeaning student. Other wise most Professors would snap at a chance to decimate a smart ass, which i believe you are not. I know what your feeling, i have been a retired instructor for over five years. If any student failed to produce, i would mark the grade accordingly....."F" If the student was a worker and a participator i certainly would have erased the grade and marked in a passing grade or points if he or she produced that Doctors excuse. If it were me and the Prof. does not accept this legal documentation i would take it up with the Dean of Education. Sometimes a few points or grades at the end of the quarter makes a big difference in the final. Certainly all teachers are not the same as me, but i wish you luck and hope to hear some better news as a update.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow this is a normal reaction from the prof.
I think when you get to class in a polite way show him the doctors excuse and i believe he will have some restitution. Thats of course if you have been a demeaning student. Other wise most Professors would snap at a chance to decimate a smart ass, which i believe you are not. I know what your feeling, i have been a retired instructor for over five years. If any student failed to produce, i would mark the grade accordingly....."F" If the student was a worker and a participator i certainly would have erased the grade and marked in a passing grade or points if he or she produced that Doctors excuse. If it were me and the Prof. does not accept this legal documentation i would take it up with the Dean of Education. Sometimes a few points or grades at the end of the quarter makes a big difference in the final. Certainly all teachers are not the same as me, but i wish you luck and hope to hear some better news as a update.

Thanks for the advice Earl. I understand instructors not budging on students who don't put forth effort and are too busy partying and staying drunk instead of doing homework. I'm not one of those students. I'm definitely not a smart ass. "I'm constantly being asked to quit calling people sir/ma'm. I was raised that way and it's just a sign of respect to me"

I have had to miss a few classes because of work, but that's about it. When an assignment is given i do it and on time.

I should have went and talked to the guy before even posting the thread. It just kinda struck me the wrong way at the time. The guy has a very large class and i've talked to him on seral occasions and we get along fine. He's not good at all with names, so i doubt he recognized mine in the email.

I usually would have went and shot my guns to burn off the steam, but i'm house bound for the next day or so :sad2: Not to mention ammo prices are killing me.:scool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts