close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Styer Ammo 8x56

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by cr107, Jan 16, 2009.

1. cr107

cr107 G&G Newbie

where can i find bulk ammo or cheap ammo, not the nazi marked 20.00 ofr 10rds.

2. Tulamosin

Tulamosin G&G Newbie

I don't think that the words "bulk" or "cheap" apply to 8x56R ammo; at least not at the same time. Your best bet would be to reload or to check out gun shows. I managed to snag 125 rounds of nazi marked (on chargers) at a gunshow for $50.

3. roverboy

roverboy G&G Enthusiast

Yeah 8x56 is kinda a oddball caliber.
    I may try to get a Steyr but I might
    have to get dies.

4. cr107

cr107 G&G Newbie

yeah thats what ive been seeing. well, gunshow at the end of the month!

5. jason1965

jason1965 mil-surp collector Forum Contributor

6. jason1965

7. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

8. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

9. varmithunter

varmithunter G&G Newbie

Outdoor range

Cr107, excuse my reply in the open. I am not real familiar with how this quick message system works on this forum. There are two possibilities for outdoor ranges. One I haven't been to in years and I need to see what it is doing now. That is, or was, the Dekalb County rifle, pistol and a single trap, as I recall, range on Evans Mill Road 3-4 miles south of I-20. As I say, I haven't been there in years, and I am not sure if it still exists.

The other range is at Charlie Elliott Wildlife Management Area, ada Clybell Farms about 3 miles south of Mansfield. It is exit 97 or 98 or so east of Covington. There is a big sign there that says Charlie Elliott WMA. There is a 50 yard range and a 100 yard range with about 16 lanes in each one. You have to carry your own targets, target holders, etc. They won't let you use wood to hold your targets. The best thing is one of those real estate sign holders with cardboard or plastic molded poster board to put you targets on. A big cardboard box will work also, but bring a brick or a rock to put in it to keep the wind from blowing it over. The range is closed on Sundays. Get a copy of the hunting regs if you want more info. The road will be the first WMA sign you come to on the left side of the road. The range is about 2 miles down on the left. Eye and hearing protection required of course. It can get crowded at times and you have to wait for someone to give up a lane. Lots of people take their ARs out there to blast away. Also pistol and small arms.

Hope this helps. VH :feedback:

10. cr107

cr107 G&G Newbie

yes that helps alot. i went to charlie elliott today to check it out, no one there hardly.

11. varmithunter

varmithunter G&G Newbie

Cold out there!

I imagine the weather had a little bit to do with it. Last time I was there was T-day weekend and the waiting line was long. My son and I shot some on the 100 yd., but we weren't going to wait on the 50 yd.

I went to Bullseye in Lawrenceville this morning about 11:30. Several open lanes in the pistol range. I shot my Mossberg 44b target rifle. Hadn't really used the iron sights (peep and forward aperture) in 30 years or so. Got it zeroed in and shot 50 rounds or so off hand at about 55-60 feet. Hard to tell exactly where the 50 line is so I just go to the best lighted area. The range is 75 feet long. I am generally the only one shooting .22. The big guns put giant targets 15-20 feet away and feel good when they hit paper. I'm not happy unless I cut the last hole with the 2cd and 3rd. Not that accurate with my Buck Mark/red dot, but I can usually keep them in a quarter-size grouping. I also took my Henry H001 today and tweaked the zero on it. I have a Weaver K-4 on it. Old scope, 25 years or so, but it does the job. Best group of 3 rounds and 5 rounds was one jagged hole on each bull. Little finger nail size on the 3 shot; and dime size on the 5 shot. The lighting was giving me fits with my Mossy target rifle because it was to bright behind me, making it very difficult to get a good sight picture.

I really felt good shooting the target rifle offhand. I have been shooting my Gamo Big Cat in the back yard a bunch lately and I could really tell it helped bring the bulls in with the target rifle. Not as good as in my college days, but as I say, I haven't shot it hardly at all since 1970. Great fun, can't believe I spent all that time fishing. :) VH

12. jason1965

steyr ammo

Sorry about that,did not see the sold out part,must have been looking at something else on that sight.As far as S.O.G. is concerned,when you go to their rifle page,they show the Steyr, and say that they have plenty of ammo.Don't know why it doesn't show on the ammo page,probably have to call them.:)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  13. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thanks Jason! I've got some on the way. I bought 10 rounds of Nazi marked(...for display) and 40 rounds of commercial(...to shoot) off of gunbroker. I can't wait to shoot my new rifle.

14. Pothole

Pothole G&G Regular

my friend picked up one of these a while back and the only place he could find ammo was at gun shows, it is a blast to shoot though, good luck on your first outing

15. happycamper

happycamper G&G Newbie

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted