Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see a lot of information on subsonic 7.62x39 ammunition. I looked through the loading forum and saw some banter, but no one claiming success.

I, specifically, want to shoot this suppressed through my AR with a 16" barrel with a 1:10 twist. If I can get a subsonic loading, I am willing to play with springs and buffer weights to see if I can get it to cycle.

Has anyone worked up a subsonic 7.62x39 loading?

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
I have not, but I do like the idea if it still has enough velocity to perform as it was meant to.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
It seems that the 300BLK has already done all the "work" on this topic.

It shouldn't be too much of a stretch to come up with 7.62x39 loadings, based on 300BLK data and a chrono.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
The only 7.62X39 I have is a Yugo SKS. With a grenade launcher on the end, I don't see a way to put a suppressor on easily or cheaply. So all my loadings are supersonic.

Reactions: Dutch

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
lets see what we have to work around here.
you need gas volume, enough gas volume to throw the piston, the bolt and the case all back with enough energy to over come the return spring.
no piston? that makes it a little easier.
a rifle length gas tube? that makes it a bit harder.
try 15 grs of 4227 that will be sonic with even a 180-200gr bullet.
start working your way back towards 10 grs.
10 will operate a shorter tube easy enough and is about 50-75 fps below sonic.
if your not running a tube you'll be hard pressed to really tell the 2 powder amounts apart from sound, other than you can hear the bolt go back and forth at 10.

Reactions: Dutch
1 - 5 of 5 Posts