1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I sure wouldn't want to mess with anyone packing those two things. :eek:

·
Registered
93 Posts
That'll do the trick, Jerry. When staying in a hotel, I subscribe to the Robert Heinlein theory: I keep my pants and my weapons where I can find them in the dark.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Wierdos in hotels!? When I was a young fellow I was living at a YMCA until I got an apartment. Had no handgun, but carried a Gerber Boot Knife. A mental patient :rant:was across the hall from me. He would prowl the halls at night. Sometimes he would stand right up against my very thin wooden door and snicker. I alway had the Gerber on the desk chair, right next to the bed.

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
Works for me. Only thing I would add would be a 12 guage pump gun.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Hotels, motels, Inns etc in many parts of the country give me the willies at times, had to stay in a couple before I closed on my house at the lake. First one was down in San Antonio right by Lackland AFB, had every firearm I owned except two locked up in the back of my truck in heavy duty lockers with triple locks! And I still was up and down all night pistol in hand checking for thieves!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm an airline pilot.. So about 3-4 nights a week i'm staying in various hotels all over the place. Common sense has alot to do with hotel safety.

We require that our rooms be at least on the 2nd floor of the hotel. (That way no one can break in through a first floor window.)

If the front desk clerk says your room out loud you should request a different room and make him/her write the new room number down.

There have been instances where Flight Attendants have been attacked and killed by someone who gained access and waited for them to come into the room. So anytime we are entering the room another crew member wait outside the door for you to "clear" the room.

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
XJTFLYR it all sounds like good basic common sense. I assume you also go everywhere (as much as possible) in pairs at a miniumum. Are the risks/incidents greater overseas or about the same or less than the States?

·
Registered
73 Posts
XJTFLYR it all sounds like good basic common sense. I assume you also go everywhere (as much as possible) in pairs at a miniumum. Are the risks/incidents greater overseas or about the same or less than the States?
We try to go out with eachother as much as possible.. But when you get stuck with different people for 3-5 days at a time, sometimes your personalites won't click. And you will end up having to go search for food/things to do on your own.

We just had a pilot just get mugged in Mexico. He went by him self to pick up some take-out right next to the hotel. He was knocked down and robbed.. They even took his food!

As for which places are more dangerous. As far as I am concerned it can happen anywhere.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
XJTFLYR Due to terrorist highjackings you probably don't carry a handgun, but do you carry a knife or some kind of weapon along with you ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
XJTFLYR Due to terrorist highjackings you probably don't carry a handgun, but do you carry a knife or some kind of weapon along with you ?
With out going into details.. A good number of us are armed. We go through tatical/firearms training with Homeland Security. We then are "deputized" as Federal Flight Deck Officers.

I'd hate to be the next hijacker trying to take over an FFDO's cockpit.......

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I am finding more and more that hotels are posting NO WEAPONS Allowed signs. When I run across one that has this sign I check into a different hotel and then contact my company and tell them there was a problem with the other hotel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts