close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Suppressor News - Good News

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by animalspooker, Apr 26, 2017.

1. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    Don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but I am an FFL and an ATF agent is at my place finding all the creative ways he can to bust my balls. Castration is the only thing left.

No, he IS there but he's really a pretty good guy...for an ATF agent. I'd have a beer with him...if he could.

Anyway, to the story, he tells me that the ATF is in the process of training a lot more agents on suppressors and the legalities of them. He wouldn't come out and say it, but he gave me a strong impression that they are preparing for the Hearing Protection Act to be approved. Like I said, he wouldn't come right out and say it because I don't think he is allowed, but he did say he would not be buying a suppressor stamp any time too soon.

upload_2017-4-26_8-51-47.jpeg

Ten Man, neophyte, blaster and 10 others like this.
  2. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

It might pass the house but doubtful they will get 60 votes in the Senate to get it to pass

jwrauch likes this.

3. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

Can't imagine there's that many morons in the Senate that wouldn't vote for this. The entire law on suppressors is ridiculous for starters. Only thing that should be regulated is how they are made for safety reasons.

4. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

And you can blame the "holier than thou- why do you need that sort of gun/item" hunting/conservationist lobby for suppressors being added to the NFA to start with... :mad:

TXplt and ChaZam like this.
  5. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Evangelist

CO
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. They were part of original '34 NFA laws.

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2016/10/history-of-suppressors/

6. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I would be more inclined to lay the blame with Hollywood where every whack by a hit mans weapon is no louder than a squirt gun.

my1871colt45 likes this.
  7. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    Regardless of how much sense it makes or how ridiculous the current law is, if the new hearing protection act has any markings of the NRA or a Republican law maker, the Democrats will line up on the other side of the issue. If the Republicans agreed to line up and be hanged as a show of good faith, the Democrats would refuse because they didn't think of it first.

TXplt, jwrauch and Jaison like this.
  8. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I can see the Feisenstein and probably Frankenberry having COMPLETE hissy fits if it ever even got to a vote.

jwrauch likes this.
  9. animalspooker

SEMO
    I'm just telling you guys what ATF told me!

neophyte, jerry and gsbuickman like this.
  10. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Your the messenger. You will be flogged and like it ;)

11. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The ATF sold guns to Mexican drug lords. They have a LONG way to go before I trust anything they say.

jwrauch, The_Wardog and Cyrano like this.
  12. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I think that IS what he means. Just like some supposed 'hunters' now go along with bans on high capacity magazines just because they don't shoot ARs and think they don't 'need' more than a few rounds. Or in other ways accept the mantra of the left.

Rather than realize the threat to EVERYONE'S gun ownership by something that seemingly doesn't affect them. Camels' nose under the tent and so on.

Same as for the addition to suppressors to the original NFA (without realizing it was to essentially regulate out of existence ALL short barrel guns; luckily it fell short). The addition of suppressors was a 'reasonable' compromise by people who didn't use them or really know what they did--or how technology would enable them to be used with success while hunting (and their value for hunting as well as for all kinds of shooting) without thinking things through. Just because YOU don't have a use for something doesn't mean that others don't or that you might not have a need, want, or use for it in the future. Leftists work through gradualism.

13. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Just so, Tex. While I don't like to blow my own horn, I'll re-post a poem I wrote and read to a public meeting concerning the UnSAFE Act here in New York. It explains why we cannot ever let our guard down when there are leftists, progressives, Communists, and Democrats around.

First they came for the full-auto firearms,
    And I didn't speak out because I didn't own a machine gun.

Then they came for the inexpensive pistols,
    And I didn't speak out because I didn't own a Saturday Night Special.

Then they came for the hobbyist Class 1 Federal Firearms Licensees,
    And I didn't speak out because I didn't have an FFL.

Then they came for the high capacity magazines,
    And I didn't speak out because I didn't own any hi-cap banana clips.

Then they came for the "evil black rifles,"
    And I didn't speak out because I didn't own an AR or an AK.

Then they came for the semi-automatic rifles and pistols,
    And I didn't speak out because all I owned were bolt actions and revolvers.

Then they came for all the rest of the privately owned firearms,
    But by then none of us DARED to speak out.

jwrauch, The_Wardog, blaster and 2 others like this.
  14. Jaison

Jaison They who choose safety over liberty gain neither Forum Contributor

Yonder
    @TXplt - 'Leftists work through gradualism.'

This.

jwrauch, TXplt and neophyte like this.
  15. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

One caveat.
    Suppressors made it into the original '34 NFA laws....

or the end version that passed.

They were originally NOT in the NFA as it was originally written... see below.

The NFA as we know it today is not what it was originally written as in it's early drafts.

It was always straight up gun control and the original NFA was also to include semi auto handguns and revolvers.... so you would need to pay an exorbitant tax on common handguns as a form of a defacto ban. Thankfully that part didn't happen and was cut from the final version that was signed into law.

However suppressors were never intended to be in the original NFA law. The NFA law was billed as an anti-crime bill regarding the prohibition era gangsters and organized crime type of criminals involved in the gangland style shootings. The NFA was to apply to handguns, machine guns, and short "easily concealable" firearms like SBR's and SBS's and all the odds and ends ... but not silencers... which weren't really even used in crimes anyways. They were and still are a firearm accessory... not a firearm itself... and the original NFA was concerned with firearms... not accessories.

However the NFA was created in 1934 which as you know was also smack dab in the middle of the Great Depression. People were poor and hungry.... so farmers, ranchers and hunters and conservationists banded together (politics make BS bedfellows) to form a lobbying group to get suppressors added to the new "anti crime bill" in another attempt to ban them... or at least severely restrict them...

The farmers because they were worried that poor people would be killing/poaching their livestock and the 1930's version of hippy conservationists for the whole animal rights aspect... and the hunter conservationists because they also felt that people would just go crazy trying to poach game with suppressors and would never be caught.

All of these reasons were BS then and still are... several states recently when trying to legalize the use of sound suppressors for hunting (if they were already banned) still have libtards trying to make the argument that if suppressors are legalized (or legal for hunting) than poaching will be out of control... which never ends up happening...

The anti-gun idiots in 1934 were no different than the ones today trying to get the NFA law passed and were more than happy to add one more thing to regulate/defacto ban at the time.

So like i said.. you can thank hunters, conservationists and rural farmers for getting suppressors added to the NFA and helping curtail everyone else's rights even more so.

It's one more easy example of how other gun owners can be our own worst enemy at times.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  16. theGrizzFan

theGrizzFan G&G Regular

S.W. MO
    Thank you animalspooker for this thread. It prompted me to call my Dem. Senator here in Missouri, Sen. McCaskill. I was told that she has made no public statement about H.R. 367 (Hearing Protection Act) but they would welcome my input, so I politely gave it to them.
    She is up for re-election next year, so I would encourage other folks here to make some calls as well. No matter what state you're from, it can't hurt to let your voice be heard with your state Senator. I don't know if it matters, but I called her D.C. office.
    Anyway, thanks again animalspooker.

animalspooker, Jaison and neophyte like this.
  17. animalspooker

SEMO
    ^^^Claire already received one of those calls...from me!

Didn't know you were a Missouri-ite GrizzFan.

18. animalspooker

SEMO
    I don't think my 28yo ATF agent that just got back from Afghanistan sold any guns to Mexico. And I don't think he really has anything to gain by telling me what he told me.

I could be wrong though. It has happened before...once, when I thought I was wrong about something else.

jwrauch likes this.
  19. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Almost before the smoke cleared the Sea-Hag was screaming that if the LV massacre sniper had a "silencer" many more people would have been killed because he would be harder to find.
    It just so happens that the hearing protection act was going to be presented in a day or so! :rolleyes:

TACAV likes this.