close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Suppressor variations.

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by Rave, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Would a 9mm suppressor reduce the report of.22 LR adiquetly? :confused:

Rocky7 likes this.
  2. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

yes. while not quite as efficiently as a .22 can it will still quiet the report enough to justify buying a more versatile caliber can. but a 9mm or .45 cal can is also bigger and heavier. .22 L.R suppressors are very small compared to them.
    I wish that instead of buying a .22 can that I would have bought a suppressor that I could use on more of my firearms. I use my .30 can on my 5.56 AR 15 & 7mm Rem mag. bolt gun and even with supper sonic loads it is quiet enough to not need ear protection.

Rocky7, jwrauch, TACAV and 2 others like this.

3. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Thanks for the info,I want to have a can for my 9mm and .22 and don't want to buy both,I will mull the matter a bit more,again,thanks. :usa2:

blaster likes this.
  4. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

What Blaster said, although as someone who owns a few cans now... I would like to get a dedicated .22LR suppressor for a dedicated .22 firearm.

I understand the annoying wait times but now that commercial suppressor tech has advanced so much in the past 5 years and the process is so stream lined it's waaaaay easier and shorter time and cheaper to get one.... especially a .22LR can which are the cheapest caliber suppressor you can get.

You can go to a silencer shop Kiosk for example do all of your paperwork, fingerprints, photo everything right there in 15 minutes like checking into a hotel room... buy your suppressor for a couple hundred bucks and then sit back and wait (and wait times are now only like 3 months).

If this was a different caliber other than .22LR I would be more inclined to side on the "get one bigger diameter can to do it all" but

1. since .22LR cans are so cheap and good.... and the process so simple these days

and

2. With other calibers like sticking a .45 can on a 9mm or a .30 cal can on a .223 etc, people are just looking for any decent amount of sound suppression/reduction and are OK with the non-optimal performance in exchange for having one multi-caliber/role suppressor...

but Typically when people want to suppress a .22LR it's because it is THE quietest lead launching platform to suppress and as such people want to MAXIMIZE that to the fullest extent and so most people want to go the dedicated .22LR suppressor route to do that.

blaster, BaserRonin, Rave and 2 others like this.
  5. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Yup. What they said. My omega works well with anything from .30 cal on down.

BUT

I am reticent about using my Omega (.30 cal) on a .22LR due to the crappiness of the round. The supersonic rifle bullets might wear on it, but they also effectively blast-clean it each time it's shot. A problem with the .22LR is it shoots a bunch of stuff--lead vapor and spatter included--out the front and this can accumulate on the baffles of a suppressor. Most of the supersonic mainline rifle suppressors cannot be disassembled to clean and I don't want to ruin mine.

I figure a SMALL amount of .22LR put through it will have no effect, but for me I stick to the centerfire rifle cartridges.

blaster, Rocky7 and Rave like this.
  6. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Thanks,I appreciate the info,lots of good solid stuff,hmmm,gonna have to mull it a bit more.:usa2:

blaster and TACAV like this.
  7. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Hmmm,makes sense for sure,lots of good advice to consider,thanks again,Jim :usa2:

TXplt likes this.