Surgery update

Discussion in 'Prayer Request' started by Cyrano, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Hello, all:

The prayers are appreciated. It's made this less trying than it might be otherwise.

I haven't been on for a few days because I haven't been here for a few days. The pathology report from Johns Hopkins indicated that there was a small possibility my surgeon might not have extended the excision far enough - apparently this benign desmoid tumor is semi-obscure but persistent. It doesn't respond well to radiation or chemo but is discrete enough that it responds very well to surgery. So, following the lumpectomy of July, I went back in for a mastectomy on Friday.

(Anyone who makes a wise-*** remark about mastectomies being a woman's surgery is gonna get it!)

I'd thought that I'd be in and out the same day, but my surgeon had other ideas. I was checked in and kept until Sunday afternoon. I have an appointment Tuesday morning for a follow-up, which means I will have to lay off the pain pills from about 4 AM tomorrow morning so I will be able to drive safely. I don't have anyone to leave Junior with, so I need to be extra-careful. Dear Doctor will be deciding whether or not to take the drain out and presumably will be changing the dressing. I'm going to ask him for a waterproof one so I can take a shower. Trying to wash in the sink is a major PITA and I can't do my back at all well.

If you can continue to think of me while I'm recovering, I'd be grateful. Ending up lopsided isn't going to bother me since according to the doctor you can't tell about men under their clothes. I have that much at least better than the women who have had to have this surgery! What really is irksome is that Her Imperial Majesty does not want to touch me at a time when I really could use some cuddling. She has a problem with things that aren't perfect.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. White Rook

White Rook G&G Evangelist

Another round of prayers sent up. I hope you have a speedy recovery.....

3. Prayers for you sir. Just sent in an air support request to the angels.

4. jason1965

jason1965 mil-surp collector Forum Contributor

I'll be sending a whole bunch of positive thoughts your way.
    I know exactly what your going through as far as surgery wise,as I'm still recovering from my little run in with the orthopedic doctors that worked on me on 27 May of this year.
    Hang in there,things will definitely get better.
    Jason M

5. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Prayers sent Cyrano. I wish you a speedy recovery.

6. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Will do Cyrano.

Tell Her Imperial Majesty.
    That YOUR, the Captain of the ship.
    And Captains, orders MUST be followed!
    Even if, she is the Admiral of the fleet!

7. I

will pray for you and all concerned/involved.

If I were close enough I would take off work to drive you.

Best wishes.

8. woody1981

woody1981 Love Your Firearms! Forum Contributor

Prayers sent. Hurry back!

9. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Prayers sent for a speedy and full recovery. Cyrano. Will also ask the Lord to bless Her Imperial Majesty with a tad more compassion.

10. ALR

ALR ][][][% Forum Contributor

Prayer sent for your recovery and situation, Godspeed and God bless.

11. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Thanks, everyone.

Just got back from a follow up visit. I was hoping he'd remove the drain but no dice. He says the drain stays in until the total seepage is down to 20 cc's per day, which means at least another week.

If you want to get an idea of what the surgical result looks like: open up a box of vanilla ice cream. Take a big ice cream scoop, dig it in and drag it all the way down the box on the long axis. That's what my left chest looks like now. Good thing I wear clothes all the time.

He told me to try and lay off the pain pills in the daytime, and gave me exercises to do with my left arm to encourage mobility. Obviously things won't be back to normal for quite some time, if ever. But it's better than the alternative!

12. Perhaps one of the guys here may be willing to volunteer....

Cyrano, wishing you a speedy recovery!

13. frenchy

frenchy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Cyrano I'm so sorry my friend, i haven't stopped praying since this started and i'll change what i pray for you but i'll not stop, i pray the Lord who suffered so much will comfort you in such a way you will feel his touch when you need it the most.
    your friend, Dale
    i sure wish i was your neighbor

14. Bigfoot

Bigfoot G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Afton NY
    I will pray for your full recovery and also that your lady appreciates the gift of life, and the strength to except it in any way it can be shared.

15. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

More prayers sent Cyrano, for both you and your lady.

16. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Cyrano. Sorry to read about your current condition. A prayer is said that you have a quick and complete recovery sir.

17. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

18. CalifgirlinOk

CalifgirlinOk G&G Evangelist

I hope you have a speedy recovery.Take care of yourself and keep us updated please.

19. Cyrano count me in to, to pray for you friend. Just have a little faith and with all these prayers being sent up you'll be fine. Get some rest....Mike

20. Earl Easter

Earl Easter Pheasant Hunter Forum Contributor

Prayers sent for your full recovery....Keep your chin high........