surplus .223

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by guffster, Sep 20, 2002.

1. guffster

guffster Guest

anybody tried the tarnished .223 ammo from centerfiresystems? Looks like a good deal if it shoots decent. 1450rds. boxer primed, 90's production $130.

2. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Don't forget the freight , ammo is heavy .

Wyr
    God Bless

3. guffster,

Who makes it? I try and stay away from any S. African ammo in .223. Some of it is corrosive and I steer clear of corrosive if I can.

I paid $128 for 980 rounds of S&B and that's not too bad....clean ammo...shot well.

4. hipowr

hipowr Guest

There is no HAZMAT on loaded ammunition. Only on Powder and Primers when shipped as components.

later,
    AJ

5. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Maybe I am wrong , but I do not remember Haz-Mat on ammo , just primers & powder ?

Wyr
    God Bless

6. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I shoot corrosive ammo in my C&R rifles all the time . Also working on some corrosive Indian 7.62 NATO I bought for Y2K .

You just have to clean the rifle .

And you REALLY need to clean an AR , anyway , don't you ?

Wyr
    God Bless

7. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

8. HAZMAT ON AMMO

DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH AMMO IS BEING SHIPPED THERE MAY BE A ORM STICKER ON THE SHIPPING BOXES. ORM STANDS FOR OTHER REPORTABLE MATERIAL. WHEN SHIPPING PAPERS LIST ENOUGH OF DIFFRENT ORM BOXES THE TRUCK PLACARDS WILL BE USED TO SIGNIFY THE TYPE OF THE HEIGHEST LISTING.

DANA

9. Wyr,

Sure, I clean my guns after every time I use them.

If I was looking for an older used military gun and someone told me they fired corrosive ammo alot, "But, hey, I cleaned it afterward" I wouldn't waste another breath on them or the gun.

But, why would anyone try and save a few dineros to burn corrosive ammo when they can burn clean stuff?

I can almost see burning corrosive if there is NO other kind of ammo out there for that model or caliber or if I have a trash gun. But, there is clean ammo for my models and my guns are in very good to excellent condition and I'm not sacraficing that......not when I can spend a little more for non-corrosive ammo.

There is a reason they call it corrosive and how do YOU know that your method is best and you are cleaning well enough? How does anyone know?

There are as many recommendations as to the type of solution to clean after burning corrosive as there are types of ammo (some are HIGHLY corrosive while others are mildly corrosive). If you are so sure of your method, I suggest you patent it, lol.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2002
  10. David N

David N Guest

I believe its Guatamalan. Somewhere Israel comes into the mix. They make the components and Guatamala assembles or something like that. I purchased tarnished Guatamalan loose from ammunitionstore.com. Retails for $108/1000 including shipping. Shoots great. Little dirty, sandy but a little clean up with military bore cleaner and it fires away. Depending where you live shipping ranges from $10-33. If I hadn't just purchased 4000 of this loose stuff I would have bought 4000 of this stuff. Boxed/packaged is always better than loose.

11. Mike southers

Mike southers Guest

I stand corrected on the HAZMAT issue. Thank you.
    I would think using CLP would get rid of the corrosive residue. Could be wrong there, too. Oh, well, still going to shoot the SA stuff and clean after. If the barrel goes away, they aren't terribly expensive.

12. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The Guatemalan stuff works well in my Bushpup, but it locked up my Contender (betcha didn't know a break-open single shot can get jammed!). It ain't nearly as accurate as good commercial ammo, but it's okay for blasting.

13. guffster

guffster Guest

Thanks for the input guys. I stay away from corrosive & the only steel case (wolf) I'll use is the 7.62x39 for the AK.