Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was younger(much younger) I could find surplus AR mags at just about any pawnshop, or gunshow. Where are they now? I like to rebuild the old mags. It's honestly a cosmetic thing. Don't worry folks I have plenty of Magpuls, and PSA branded mags. I'm in bad need of some scuffed up "Okay's".

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,871 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,871 Posts

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
When I was younger(much younger) I could find surplus AR mags at just about any pawnshop, or gunshow. Where are they now? I like to rebuild the old mags. It's honestly a cosmetic thing. Don't worry folks I have plenty of Magpuls, and PSA branded mags. I'm in bad need of some scuffed up "Okay's".

You are right, there were tubs of them at every gun show. Literal tubs. Magpul got the military contract 5 (ish) years ago. So far as I know there aren't any of the old metal mags being pulled from service and resold.

With that said, Apex Gun Parts always has a bunch of them listed. They are local to me, and I've dealt with them a few times.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have been told there is far less army surplus out there because the armed forces of the US doesn’t sell it’s surplus anymore, they destroy it & scrap out the materials. I have seen two local army surplus stores close because all they could get is foreign surplus.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
its possible that some gun related surplus may be scrapped due to politics but there is still a lot of U.S. surplus available. I don't know how to post a link but google Iron Planet auctions. then go to their "Gov't planet" surplus site. I've seen palettes of uniforms, ammo cans, web gear, etc... as well as vehicles, trailers, generator sets etc...

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its possible that some gun related surplus may be scrapped due to politics but there is still a lot of U.S. surplus available. I don't know how to post a link but google Iron Planet auctions. then go to their "Gov't planet" surplus site. I've seen palettes of uniforms, ammo cans, web gear, etc... as well as vehicles, trailers, generator sets etc...
I know they did that with the brass a while back.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I kinda like the mil surp mags too, but since new, arguably better production mags are commonly available and cheap( ~$15), I have just been buying them, mostly magpuls and lancer mags.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I have been told there is far less army surplus out there because the armed forces of the US doesn’t sell it’s surplus anymore, they destroy it & scrap out the materials. I have seen two local army surplus stores close because all they could get is foreign surplus.
Yes, I used to purchase great buys from a place called Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet and it closed up snap bang gone.
However stuff still seems to "fall off the back of the truck" and make it to places like eBay.
And surplus stores once in awhile.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
A couple personal observations. The new tan follower mags don't wear out that often. But because we've been at war for almost 20 years, mags have been treated as a disposable item. You get 7 mags when you get to a unit. You get 7 new ones when you deploy. They aren't on your AF 538 or Army OCIE. (I've done both branches.) That means they're not getting turned in unless a unit has a stockpile of them. Something they're not supposed to have.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A couple personal observations. The new tan follower mags don't wear out that often. But because we've been at war for almost 20 years, mags have been treated as a disposable item. You get 7 mags when you get to a unit. You get 7 new ones when you deploy. They aren't on your AF 538 or Army OCIE. (I've done both branches.) That means they're not getting turned in unless a unit has a stockpile of them. Something they're not supposed to have.
Our local guard unit had a lot of shady individuals in it back in the 80's and 90's. Every time they would get back from their two weeks at Stewart, the local pawn shops would be filled with gear. They would always have piles of Beretta and AR mags. A lot of them would still have inventory labels on them. I picked up a kevlar helmet(with the red "V" painted on it) and an ALICE pack for $20.00 at one shop. I think the guys would snatch up anything they could get their hands on. We no longer have a guard unit here, and I honestly believe this was one reason they decommissioned(?) it. Another big thing was they failed to meet the readiness standards during Desert Storm. They spent the duration training, and retraining. There was also a rumor that they got caught stealing stuff.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im not sure but 20 years, mags have been treated as a disposable item. You get 7 mags when you get to a unit. You get 7 new ones when you deploy...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts