Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traveled into town yesterday to stock up on supplies, reloading supplies, and was shocked to see prices for reloading supplies going up so far, so fast...

Unique powder per pound at one store was $15.99, at another $22.99, and at another $26.99. The first store was selling 4 lb kegs for $57.99, so I bought two.

Large pistol primers were the same, several dollars difference depending on where I looked. I ended up buying two boxes (1,000 ea) at the lowest priced location I could find, for $26.99 each.

Bullets were the biggest shock of all... Bulk cast bullets have doubled in price, and sometimes more. Ouch! I was shocked to see nearly bare shelf spaces for several calibers. I ended up finding a reasonable deal on some .44/240 gr. round flat nose plinking bullets (Berry's) at one store for $21.00 for a box of 200. I bought two boxes.

Next time I head back to down, and have more reloading funds, I'm going to load up again...before the prices get really out of hand.

How are the prices for reloading items doing in your area?

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback DW...

I used to buy reloading items, excluding primers and powder, from sellers on eBay, before their anti-gun fiasco, and it would be good to find another source that offers bullets and brass at more affordable prices.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Can't wait to get my [SIZE=-1]economic stimulus check in a couple week,I'm stocking up on powder,primers and cast bullets should be enough to last me quiet a few years.
[/SIZE]

·
Registered
49 Posts
I usually buy in bulk form someone like Powder Valley. I just made a big order a couple days ago. I started casting to offset the high bullet prices.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i only have one store localy that i know sells reloading supplies and i pay about $4.5 per 100 primers, and all powder is about $23.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i only have one store localy that i know sells reloading supplies and i pay about $4.5 per 100 primers, and all powder is about $23.
:bigeyes: Wow, I paid $2.25 per 100 primers and $13.50/lb for powder online. But even the local gun store that I can get reloading supplies from (When available) charges much less than that.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks DS for the info on Powder Valley...I'll see what they have to offer and if I can buy for less from them, shipping costs included.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You guys must have some great stores, all the places I've called for powder and primer prices here are more $$$ than the prices you mention. for me I think it'll be cheaper even with the hazmat fee to order online and just get supplies in bulk.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
I here ya roadie. Let's just be glad they're only charging the hazard fee one time per order and not for each flipping item yet. lol SHHHHHHHHH

On another note, I just checked the local Bass Pro Shop to see what they had as far as primers/powder. Powder I didn't get the chance to check out, as I had to leave, but the primers are $4.99 per 100.
I'll have to get back and price the powders though.

I have a feeling they're going to make that difficult for shooter as well. I hope they don't make it so expensive it isn't worth it? And by they I mean those who regulate it. If it gets to the point where it costs too much, many might just not want to deal with it or they'll have to charge so much to make anything no one would bother to buy it?

Seems like if that's the case, the only way to do it is for a few to go in on supplies and split the cost. Obviously they'd all have to live close to each other or within driving distance of each other otherwise the shipping wouldn't make it cost efficient.

Where there's a will there's a way...

·
Registered
736 Posts
I worked up two identical orders one at PowderValley and one at Graf there was only about $1 difference between the two,being Graf's shipping is only $4.95. Also if you can do a group buy with several friends Like GlockMeister stated which I do you can save even more. Graf will pay the Hazmat fee if you order 32 lbs of powder or more. Components are just going to get higher ever day if you think its not cheap now just wait another six months.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The PV Web Site is Powder Valley, Inc. I usually order well over enough to offset the $20 Hazmat Fee. Usually what I save on sales tax pays the Hazmat plus most of the shipping.
I'm looking at my invoice right now so I can give you an accurate example.
My Sub-Total was $449.25
Hazmat was $20.00
S&H was 15.95
Now if I calculate sales tax on $449.25 at 8% (More or less depending on where you live) that equals $35.94. I've just completely offset my Hazmat and shipping charges by savings on sales tax.

Now mind you my order is somewhat large. On this order I had 10,000 CCI small pistol primers that calculate out to be $2.25 per 100.
I ordered Winchester WSF Powder in a 8Lb Can that calculated out to $13.50 per pound.
I had 1000 CCI Large Rifle Magnum Primers that calculate out to $2.55 per 100.
I had a few other powders in 1-pound canisters that I ordered as well that I was wanting to try but still with savings over buying local and then still having to pay sales tax.

I do buy local but my biggest problem is what I'm looking for is just not in stock many times. On occasion I'll pick up a pound of powder or a couple boxes of primers locally.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More good info DS, for some helpful cost savings...thanks.

I checked out the Powder Valley and Gaff & Sons sites, and they do offer some affordable prices; especially in bulk purchases.

Now I need to get with a couple of reloading buddies in this area and place a larger order.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm with res45. Componet prices have went through the roof lately and I expect that they will continue to do so. One major componet, bullets have sky rocketed. I have been investing in casting equipment and I'm now pretty well set up to cast for all of my hand guns plus one of my long guns.
But now casting is leading to yet another problem. That is finding lead and other alloys needed. The price of lead and other materials has gotten expensive too. I do have one good source for Wheel Weights. So far I had squirreled away about 1/2 ton of WW. WW is an exelent Boolit material as is for hand gun Boolits. A little tin added makes it even better.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
with the cost of fuel and the fact that evey thing is either made with or transported by machines that use gas/diesel I'm not surprised.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You guys who can cost share got it made. I live in smalltownmiddleofnowhere and darn few here reload, and I'm the only one using Fiocchi primers. If I could afford to order in bulk I would.
I try to deal locally whenever I can so I buy my powder and part of my shot from Virgil. With some of my shot, and of course primers, I bite the bullet and order from BP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts