Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope i am not re inventing the wheel but the US Army's survival manual FM-21-76 Survival, Evasion and Escape in online along with the similar FM 21-76-1 For more survival ect reads you might be able to find older books ect on archive.org. Then you can look through book stores, military surplus shops, and gun shows. Then there libraries where you can also get books by ILL and you might find some that have outdoor magazines.

·
Wonderment :)
36,523 Posts
animalspooker: Sir; adding a link

SURVIVAL ACTIONS
The following paragraphs expand on the meaning of each letter of the word survival. Study and remember what each letter signifies because you may some day have to make it work for you.
S -Size Up the Situation
If you are in a combat situation, find a place where you can conceal yourself from the enemy. Remember, security takes priority. Use your senses of hearing, smell, and sight to get a feel for the battlefield. What is the enemy doing? Advancing? Holding in place? Retreating? You will have to consider what is developing on the battlefield when you make your survival plan.
Size Up Your Surroundings
Determine the pattern of the area. Get a feel for what is going on around you. Every environment, whether forest, jungle, or desert, has a rhythm or pattern. This rhythm or pattern includes animal and bird noises and movements and insect sounds. It may also include enemy traffic and civilian movements.
Size Up Your Physical Condition
The pressure of the battle you were in or the trauma of being in a survival situation may have caused you to overlook wounds you received. Check your wounds and give yourself first aid. Take care to prevent further bodily harm. For instance, in any climate, drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration. If you are in a cold or wet climate, put on additional clothing to prevent hypothermia.
Size Up Your Equipment
Perhaps in the heat of battle, you lost or damaged some of your equipment. Check to see what equipment you have and what condition it is in.
Now that you have sized up your situation, surroundings, physical condition, and equipment, you are ready to make your survival plan. In doing so, keep in mind your basic physical needs--water, food, and shelter.
U -Use All Your Senses, Undue Haste Makes Waste
You may make a wrong move when you react quickly without thinking or planning. That move may result in your capture or death. Don't move just for the sake of taking action.

·
36,523 Posts
information: from an obsolete manual 😁. Worthy reading 🤓

S - Size up the situation, surroundings, physical condition, equipment.
U - Use all your senses
R - Remember where you are.
V - Vanquish fear and panic.
I - Improvise and improve.
V - Value living.
A - Act like the natives.
L - Live by your wits.

Reactions: cjleete

·
Registered
393 Posts
Besides the US Army manuals I use the Boy Scout handbooks from the 1960's, 1970's, very good how-to drawings. The magazine "American Frontiersman" has some good writing that can be adapted to prepper lifestyle. I have also read Mel Tappen's books and used his writings for help format parts of my life. I am a firm believer in the grayman concept.

·
36,523 Posts
ka5siw: Sir; excellent teaching methodology 🥸

What is a Gray Man (or Woman)?
A Gray Man or Woman is a person who can blend in with the crowd and be easily overlooked, unnoticed and forgotten. It’s used for personal protection and to allow you to move freely in otherwise difficult surroundings. It’s a method of urban camouflage and disguise that can be used with or without any additional props.
Why Be a Gray Man?
There are many different situations in which you may not want to draw attention to yourself. In a crisis or survival situation, if it’s obvious that you have supplies or tools, someone may want to take them from you. If you appear calm and collected when everyone else is panicked, they may expect you to take charge even if it’s against your own interests, or even worse, blame you for the disaster.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about this:
I typed in FM-21-76 Survival Evasion and escape and scrolling down found it on pdf.

magazines that have some skills for suvivalists ect:
Fur-Fish-Game
Backwoods Outdoorsman

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Ooops! it should be Backwoodsman Magazine
That is a good magazine but look for a few changes. Both Charlie Richie sr and his wife have passed recently and their son has now taken over the magazine. I buy that, American Frontiersman and just for giggles Mother Earth News. I used to buy Mother Earth in the 70s and wish I had kept those issues. They have become more political over the years but still have some good articles on gardening and stuff.

Reactions: neophyte

·
God, Guns, Glory
37,169 Posts
In my opinion.
Besides military manuals, the best single survival book I've ever owned. Was the Boy Scout Field Manual from the 1960s.

The ultimate survival book. Is the still the Bible. 🙏

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How to make salt boil either sea water or sea ice in a pot or pots and when the water is gone there will be salt in the pot.sources:
Undaunted Courage Stephen H Ambrose p318

Shackelton's Forgotten Men Lennard Bickel P207

you can also watch survival shows on TV and youtube.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
The most important survival skill for urban dwellers is creating those favorite recipes for cats and dogs. And of course writing them down since there will be no computers working for very long. And of course gathering up some metal coffee cans to heat the house with rubbing alcohol and toilet paper, if they are still available.

And trying to convert those fireplace inserts to actually burn more that 2 small logs at one time. And of course how to cut much wood when there is no more chain saw gas.

Perhaps the biggest skill is finding stuff to make candles when the power and spare gasoline and batteries are long gone. Very few people have ever experienced even one night without artificial sun. Think about a month at your house with no lights, TV, phone, security light outside, etc. I expect roving bands of teenage people just wandering around hoping to find one single source of social media when none are to be found. That us the real threat.......can humanity survive without such creature comforts? I dunno?

·
36,523 Posts
JamesAPrattlll: Sir; adding. Downloads

Mountain man skills : hunting, trapping, woodwork, and more
195 Pages · 2015 · 8.9 MB · 6,774 Downloads· English
by Brennan & Stephen Vincent & Wagner & William Finley

1 - 17 of 17 Posts