close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Survival Rifle

Discussion in 'Henry' started by draftingmonkey, Dec 3, 2012.

1. draftingmonkey

draftingmonkey G&G Evangelist

Just picked this up. Will come handy while when hiking the hills back home (Pac NW). Already took to range and was a blast plinking targets. Gunshop through in an extra mag so I can carry three, one in receiver and two in pockets in stock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jwrauch likes this.
  2. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Awesome that will surely come in handy.

3. sniper1958

sniper1958 G&G Newbie

A friend in Las Vegas just picked one up a few weeks ago to use on his mountain adventures and LOVES IT! Good find & good pics! :)

4. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Good looking & easy to stash/carry survival rifle.
    What did you have to give for it?

5. Mantrid_Brizon

Mantrid_Brizon G&G Evangelist

I found out about this rifle and the M-6 Scout (if memory serves) and became OBSESSED with survival rifles for a full year. I hunted them both down, but the AR-7 was being discontinued by Henry at that time and they stopped production for the year I was hunting. The M-6 Scout was (and probably still is) going for an arm and a leg, at least for what you are really getting, and it was already long out of production. I made the logical choice.

All that to say, you are one lucky S.O.B to be getting a great rifle with newer technology, for probably over $100.00 USD cheaper than what I had to pay for my basic model. If I could find one of those suckers that P.T. Barnum always talked about, I'd sell my well-worn , well-carried AR-7 and buy a new model with integral scope base/grooves and the newer, slightly more resistant and water tight plastic body.

My only complaint is that you can never truly field-strip the AR-7, with the bolt being held inside of the "upper" receiver at all times by that neat little cocking handle that pushes down into the bolt. That aside, it's simple, accurate, semi-automatic, reliable (with semi-quality ammo), and a great pack gun. You'll soon be madly in love with that rifle, and if by chance you aren't, you know who to sell it too at only a minimal loss! :D

6. winston64

winston64 G&G Evangelist

Sorry I'm late to the conversation, but you can pull the bolt thru the front. with the barrel removed, push the bolt back until the charging handle feels loose, just a smidge, to take off the tension. Pull the charging handle out of the side to release the bolt. Don't let the bolt shoot out the front. Hope this helps.

7. Mantrid_Brizon

Mantrid_Brizon G&G Evangelist

I didn't know that at all. Thanks for the tip. :) I'd still like the newer model though. lol

8. Ive wanted one of those since I first saw one in a magazine ad when I was a kid. They are also mentioned in ''Hatchet'' one of my favorite childhood books. I dont recall if its that EXACT gun but the pilot had a takedown survival .22 in the plane.

Just a neat concept.

9. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum Forum Contributor

Looks like I'm late to this party toolol

I've wanted one of those for a long, long, long, long, while now. There use to a gun manufacturer called Charter Arms. They made those way back in the 70s when I was a kid.

A friend of mine who I went to high school with his dad had one that he kept in his airplane. The only problem with his was it was missing the butt cover. So he used a shop rag and duct tape.

:swordfight:

10. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

I traded a 43 Izhevsk 91/30 that I had $100 in for one of the silver Henry models and I was sorely disappointed in it. The trigger was abysmal and accuracy wasn't nearly what I'd want for a true survival rifle. The only thing it has going for it is the breakdown, but you can get other rifles that perform better that you can stow away in a backpack the same. I tore mine down to try and smooth out the trigger and this thing is a nightmare inside. The parts are all stamped, and not stamped with very high quality machinery from the looks. I smoothed out the face of the trigger lever and the "hammer" but it only helped marginally. Luckily there are people looking for these so I sold it quickly online for $180 and bought an old Glenfield for $100.

11. my1871colt45

my1871colt45 G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    They had one of those little Henry's at wal-Mart near us just last yr. it stayed in the rack for quite awhile but before I could come up with the extra cash it was gone. If I'd had the money at the time it would have been mine. I still plan on ordering one at next opportunity (when I dont have others in line ahead of it).

12. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Congratulations, Draftingmonkey!

I didn't realize I was sitting on a small fortune.

I just looked these up on GunsAmerica, for a price check. They are going for around $290.:11:

I used to have several of the M6 Scouts as well, but sold them off, because they were single shot.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  13. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    I've been selling a lot of these through my shop lately. They are nice...and really light. I've always been a fan of the M6 Scout though. Never got to handle those much though. The .410 availability does it for me.

14. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

That newer one sure has much handier compartments. How much was it Draft?

Heck, I saw a beat up AR-7 recently priced at $240.

15. cabinnut

cabinnut G&G Enthusiast

Not to change the subject, but draftingmonkey, where did you find your avatar? they are without a doubt the greatest gams I've seen, and I'm a leg guy- been wanting to ask you that for a long time

16. how-do folks,

I have been away for a couple of years now. I have just returned to this forum. I have to weigh in on this subject. I just bought a OLD Charter Arms AR-7 for a good price (better than getting Ripped $300.00 for a new "Henry", heck if i wanted to offload that much cash, i would have bought another Ruger...) My buddy had one of these in the early 80's, and it was a fun gun to shoot,(as long as you did not try to feed it those "Cone Bullets" from that time (those of us that remember those days, that is..) This rifle has a good trigger, and runs anything, no FTF or FTE, so far. All in all not a bad little rifle..would i take it to war-N0, but would i shoot it at the bad guys trying to get me-YES!!!! I have looked at the "NEW" Henry AR-7...Not impressed.(other than being to pull the Bolt, without disassembling the Action), an ABS "Plastic Shrouded" Barrel, and the open ends of the "Air-Core Stock" are not sealed off, (no wonder it is getting bad reviews for not Floating well. I also think that after the addition of the 3 Magazines in the Stock, threw off the "Boyancy" Equation...In other words, it displaces to much water, thus does not float. Some Engineer at Henry needs to check his math, and re-caculate. I will add this OLD Charter Arms AR-7 to the "unique" section of my Collection.

I know that this post will not sit well with some people.... Just my thoughts.

REM

jwrauch likes this.