close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SVT 40 mags

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Sarge, May 6, 2002.

1. Sarge

Sarge G&G Enthusiast

I have 3 SVT 40 mags to sell. 1 Exc original WW 2 and 2 New post war mfg. supposedly made in the 60's. I'm asking $160 for the wartime and $75 ea. for the post war.
    Sarge :)

2. Does this has anything to do with Mosin-Nagants?

3. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Maybe you can shoot them with your Mosin????;)

-Tim

4. Sarge

Sarge G&G Enthusiast

No, But it does have to do with russian and this is the only russian page on this site!
    So maby you think that no one with an SVT ever looks at this site? Or better yet no one who own a Mosian-Nagant also owns an SVT?
    Sarge

5. Excuse me Sarge, but Im supposed to be the cranky one here. <grin>

It was a question.....just a question. Dont go gettin yer panties in a knot. OK?

I shoot Mosin-Nagants and other older Russian guns but have never heard of any such item related to any of them. I have no clue what an "SVT 40 mag" is and thats why I asked. Rather than jump down my throat for asking a simple question....why not educate me as to what an SVT-40 mag is?

The Mosin-Nagant page is the only Russian page on the site? Maybe you overlooked the AK-47 and Makarov pages?

Signed -
    Still in the dark..... licking his wounds.....thinking about pancakes & coffee.

6. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams G&G Newbie

Sir Cranky,

An SVT40 is what you'd expect if a SKS and Nagant had babies. Its a semi-auto 7.62x54r rifle that looks like an SKS on steriods. I'll find a picture :)

7. What a strange gun. I never heard of it or saw one. Thanks for posting the pic and info Bryan! I would have thought it was a strange SKS.

8. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Sorry if I upset you, I am a wise a** every now and then. How are those SVT's? I have never really heard any good or bad about them? Are they pretty dependable? Do they kick bad? All I know is it was up in the air which gun Russia was going to adopt, the SKS or the SVT (so I have heard). At the last gun show I went to there was one there for $350, if I remember correctly.

-Tim

9. Sarge

Sarge G&G Enthusiast

SVT 40

Never thought there'd be anyone on here who didn't know what an SVT 40 was. 10 rd semi auto adopted in 1940 to replace the not so successful SVT 38 which inturn had replaced an even less successful SVT 36. The SVT 38 & 40 both came in a select fire version called AVT. The 40 was mfg thru 1944. It was considered to be somewhat tempermental in it reliability and so saw service mostly with Naval Infantry rather than the Army. Also came in a sniper version.
    The SVT 40 is of moderate recoil, about what you would expect from a full power rifle cartridge, and does not have a lot of muzzle climb. Overall a pleasant rifle to shoot - IF you remember to wear ear plugs!!! It has a viscious muzzle crack that really gets to my left ear w/o plugs.
    Hey, I can be cranky if I want to! So now you got to share:mad:
    Sarge

10. Sarge

Sarge G&G Enthusiast

P.S.

Should have said only WW 2 russian page here. :rolleyes:
    Besides AK 47s & Makerovs were made & used by so many that I don't particularily think of them as russian, rather com block.

11. Ok now I have competition for "Who is crankiest"?

I too am surprised that I never heard of the SVT40, especially since I grew-up in East Germany and was originally trained on a Mosin-Nagant M44 (Russian).

Is it safe to assume that they were never issued in huge numbers and probably not used by any east block military outside of the Soviet Union? I lived in Zerbst which was the site of the largest Soviet Air base outside of the USSR and all I remember ever seeing the Russians carry were mostly AKs, an occassional SKS and lots of Makarov sidearms.

12. KidKwiK

KidKwiK G&G Newbie

Hey Cranky-Kraut,
    Since your form East Germany did you ever see an East German SKS or shoot one?
    They are one of the mosty sought after SKS's. Just wondering.

13. Hi KidKwik,
    Actually......I think the Honor Guard, etc carried SKS rifles during parades, etc in Berlin but as far as for daily use. I dont recall seeing East German SKS rifles. By far AK-47s were the most common both with the Russians as well as NVA as I recall.

14. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    The SVT (Tokarev rifle) was cranky due to the rims on 7.62x54R
    They allways caused feeding problems.
    It it wasnt for that there may have been lots and lots more made.
    they are rather rare but not greatly so.

15. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I see one at least every other gun show. Saw one for $350 without mag. I think it would be great if an American company made replacement mags for older guns like that where the mags are extremely expensive because they're rare, but aren't banned due to capacity.

16. -E-

-E- G&G Newbie

SVT-40

Did somebody say SVT-40?
    I bought one a couple of years ago and let me tell you what ... they are a BLAST!!! If you have never fired one then you are missing out because they are smooth as silk. Buy one if you ever get a chance. You will be sure to turn heads at the range.
    The mags are a little hard to come by and kind of expensive. It would be great if someone made aftermarket mags for them.
    -E- :assult: