Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are Swede mausers like? I know the cartridge for them Are smaller than your normal 7 or 8mm round. I do know they're accurate guns though. My uncle who I'm going to see soon has one and he dropped a deer out in Maryland at about 70 yrds.

·
Registered
886 Posts
mm_christ - The Swedish Mausers are probably some of the finest examples of Mausers ever made. The only ones that can compare are the ones that were made by Mauser for the Argentines.

The Swede 6.5 x 55mm cartridge is excellent, and compares favorably with most .30 caliber cartridges. They have excellent accuracy out to 800 plus yards, though I wouldn't shoot a deer beyond 500 yards with one, they are capable of dropping the deer at least to 500 yards. Actually I wouldn't shoot a deer beyoun about 250 to 300 yards with any rifle, because it is far too easy to wound the animal (for various reasons, within and beyond your control), and then it has a more than 300 yard headstart on you for tracking it. How about the terrain you will have to pack the deer over? What is beyond your deer, in case you miss or the bullet goes all the way through?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have owed two of them, a 1905 and a 1920. Both were sweet shooters.

Nick

Reactions: Dannyboy53

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man I can't wait to go try out this gun when I get out there. It sounds like a good gun. One more thing BR, did you get the e-mail i sent you?

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
No I didn't get your E-mail - that would explain a lot. I'll check my junk mail just in case.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have two of them and would to love to get another. Very accurate, one of the smoothest mauser actions ever made and very high quality.
Dont think that smaller 6.5 bullet isnt powerful. Its fast, flat shooting and with hollow points its devastating.
Its the gun I take hunting over all the rest.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've heard alot of good stuff about the 6.5 round. I have two 8mm mausers and thy're fun, but I was thinking on getting a more longer rande rifle, and I heard the swede mausers are really good ones to get.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
the 1896 swedish mauser , is usually considered the finest military bolt action made. ive used mine to take deer, and 2 days ago was shooting prarie dogs with it out to 400yds. the 6.5x55 is a very accurate cartridge.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
The 6.5 swede is HUGELY popular here and has been for decades and rightly so, its perfectly suited to Australian conditions. When I go to the rifle range, if there is only 3 or 4 guys there, chances are there will be atleast one SMLE .303 getting a run, and a 6.5 x 55 Carl Gustav with out fail, it`s almost a given. I should have bought one years ago, but I got caught up in .308 Win.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well of couse your gonna hve an enfield at Austrialian shooting range, What kinda of gun loving nut doesn't have an smle down there. Heck yuo Ausssies took that rifle up against the Japs in the Owen Stanley mountains of New Guinea. If I do get another rifle it'll be a toss up between a SMLE or another mauser.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
if you look at enfields you might think about looking at a .308.

.303 british ammo is getting harder to find at a great price

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Well, my point is the 6.5 swede is held in the same regard as the SMLE here, possibley higher now days from a useability stand point. As for availability of .303 brit ammo, well here there`s never been a real big range of bullet wieghts on the factory stuff, but nothing a loading press and a set of dies won`t fix. I plan on getting an SMLE one day before they get rediculously expensive, just one!!! I don`t wanna get the bug and turn up at the range with a potato bag full like some guys do, it`d be a toss up `tween a half decent No. 1 mark III* or a sporter Carl Gustav for me next, prolly the SMLE, I know a few jokers who are mad on them and would see me right.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
FutureMarine said:
if you look at enfields you might think about looking at a .308.
.303 british ammo is getting harder to find at a great price
Not really. Check out cheaperthandirt.com. .303 production ammo costs pretty much the same as 7.62X54R production ammo.

Sportsmansguide has some very consistant South-African manufactured (PMP) ammo at fairly reasonable prices also. .303 Ammo won't dry up soon. Too many "smellies" (SMLE) out there still...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts