Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just to let you know, actually very few Swedish mausers were built in Germany. I believe around 1300+. In addition they were built in Germany using Swedish steel, chambered for the 6.5x55 round.

I am looking for one with matching numbers if you run across 1.

·
Registered
997 Posts

My buddy has one I think. All I remember is looking at his last fall and it was very clean with a date of 1898. I took the above pic in November.

He's dropped a couple of deer with it for giggles. I'll ask and get back to you if it's indeed a swedish mauser and he want's to part with it.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Here's Mine. Its the original BBL but its been completely rewroked, tapped, scoped and crowned.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
SA, I too built one for my #2 son. Looks the same. Choate stock was touching barrel. Corrected, better groups.
Barrel was copper fouled big time. Cleaned that, even better groups.
Gave #2 son timmeny trigger for Christmas, intalled. Tack Driver!!!

SA, is that your daughter? Does she shoot much with pappa?
That you with the M44 in middle ground?

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
killer that gun is beautiful!

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
SA, is that your daughter? Does she shoot much with pappa?
That you with the M44 in middle ground?

FMJ That is MY wife! and yes that is my M44. And no she doesn't shoot that much with me.

Beautiful Rifle LeftyO! I like the original stock look.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I double checked and it was closer to 13,000!!!
Sorry for the wrong info. At any rate, it is miniscule compared to what the Carl Gustaf and Huscuvarna arsenals produced. Check your German Mausers and you will see that these are built to exceedingly higher tolerances than Oberndorf was capable of producing. Add to this the sectional density of the 6.5x55, and the fact that they were not cranked out in mass as Sweden maintained neutrality through fire power and you see that these rifles were way ahead of their time...

The Swedes never fired more than a round....The Norwegians slaughtered them with Finn Mosin Nagants and Swedish M96's.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
spocahp, would you believe that that barrel is free floated. lots of magic voodoo in that rifle, best groups run in the 1/4" range with 1/2" being fairly normal. excellent whitetail rifle, and works pretty fair on prarie dogs out to 400yds or so( limited by the scope, not the rifle).

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
on these rifles with barrel bands, and hand guards it is a major pain in the rear. this one especially, the forend was warped about 1/8" from the front of the reciever to the end of the stock- big aggravation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Swedes never fired more than a round....The Norwegians slaughtered them with Finn Mosin Nagants and Swedish M96's.
I don't get it?

I took that picture of SA & his daughter :kiss: a couple of years ago. That Swede was rebuilt for me by Fred @ LowTech here in Greenville SC (Welcome to LowTech). When I got that rifle it was ugly, I mean real ugly. I cannot begin to even describe the sad state she was in...

1" shot groups with her was/is no problem!

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I don't get it?
I took that picture of SA & his daughter :kiss: a couple of years ago. That Swede was rebuilt for me by Fred @ LowTech here in Greenville SC (Welcome to LowTech). When I got that rifle it was ugly, I mean real ugly. I cannot begin to even describe the sad state she was in...
1" shot groups with her was/is no problem!
Yeah, so you say. I've yet to see that! It must be the shooter! :werd: Darrel we are having a forum shoot. Why don't you join in. BTW welcome to G&G.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks amigo. Forum shoot? Where?

1" shot groups with that Swede shouldn't be a problem. Bring her (the rifle - not the wife) with you next time and a box or 2 of Svede ammo. I'll spot for you and we'll get her dialed in!

Incidentally Fred is making me a new 6.5x55 this summer! I can't wait to actually start paying for it, almost. More than anything I want to be able to shoot 1/2" @ 100 yards. Impossible? No. It will just take a little work. It will take a very good barrel, & very good optics. If you can't see the target you can't hit it right?

Nice rifle you got ther killer. I'm down to only 1 Svede now, a matching 96/38 with a micrometer rear sight like yours. DOB = 1903! Interestingly enough, my mother (of all people), who is Norwegian, sent my father to a gunshow in Florida a few years ago. She gave him a wad of cash and told him not to come home without a nice Swedish Mauser for me! I may post some pix of her (the rifle - not my mother) later on, who knows?

Some other beauties I had? Hmmm, let's think. The best shooting Svede I had was a 1919. With Svede milsurp ammo I could tag just over 1" shot groups @ 100 yards. I sold it. Why? Only God knows...greed I guess??

I had a few 1913's. A few 1917's. A 1916 that was horribly mismatched and the stock was spliced like something I never saw before. That one was a real tack driver too.

Ahhh, yes. And then there was the 1898 (ser #2XXX) I had. I found her at a pawn shop in Pickens SC. This one had been sitting on his shelf for quite some time. $200 later I took her home. I later traded her for a Norwegian k98 (rebarreled to 30-06). When I got divorced I ended up trading the Norwegian k98 to a good friend of mine who is a vary serious collector.

Rant off, for now.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
....... Interestingly enough, my mother (of all people), who is Norwegian, sent my father to a gunshow in Florida a few years ago. She gave him a wad of cash and told him not to come home without a nice Swedish Mauser for me! I may post some pix of her (the rifle - not my mother)......
Thought you might post pic of her (your mother) holding the Swede.

That gives me an Idea!!!! The next time I see my mother, I'll bring a Swede and a Garand and take pic of her holding it in her walker. After all she is the wife of the man who inspired me to own a few rifles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Paul - look at the picture I took of you and the wifey-poo. Do you remember those two guys in the background? Weren't those the two guys who were shooting some AK's? And they were Russian immigrants too. They bought a couple of AK's and must have shot a few hundred rounds that day reminiscing over old times.

Amazing how times have changed!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts