Sweet Cylinder

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jerry, Sep 21, 2002.

1. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    What's you opinion on the corellation between accuracy and the "sweet cylinder" in any given wheel gun?

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

huh

never heard of a "sweet cylinder" would you mind explaining that one to me???:confused:

3. jerry

USA
    Sorry,
    "Sweet Chamber"
    looking at a review of the Taurus Raging Hornet. When they mention the accuracy testing....................."all group test were fired from the fully loaded cylinder, with no attempt to fire fron a single "sweet" chamber.
    Is it really that critical & who has time to see which chamber is the most acurate on a wheel gun.
    Just wondering if anyone else has run accross this?

BTW, the Raging Hornet has an 8 shot cap.

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

thanks man!!! 55 years old and still learning!!!

5. I usually shoot only wheel guns and I to have never heard of a sweet cylinder or sweet chamber. Live and learn. I'm not sure I understand the concept of a sweet cylinder or chamber. Are you saying that a particular chamber or cylinder will seat a round better than another and therefore you get better accuracy? The tolerances on modern manufactured cylinders should mean that there is virtually no difference between chambers on a cylinder or between like cylinders.

I always thought accuracy was a combination tempeture/humidty, barrel length and wear, distance to target, proper aiming techniques, temp of the barrel and type of ammunition used.

Has anybody on the board run across a sweet chamber on any of their revolvers? I haven't. I wonder maybe if those Taurus writers have a little to much time on their hands.

6. Jerry,

What I've read (mind you it was written by falable mortal men) a sweet cylinder (and that's an inaccurate term referring to each bullet position when most of us refer to a cylinder as the whole kit and kaboodle) is a referrence to a cylinder, or cylinders, that align with the barrel better in relationship to the rest of the rotation of the entire cylinder.

Because of the better 'fit' of that cylinder the accuracy is presumed to be better.

For example, you might have a $1500 custom handgun where all the cylinders are speced while hand reaming and spaced, etc. This makes each cylinder a sweet one or the WHOLE cylinder a sweet one.

What Taurus, and S&W with their 22 Jet version, are saying is that they are claiming their guns shoots almost as accurately as a custom gun with 6-9 sweet cylinders.

It makes an overall big difference in competative shooting but I see little relationship in defense situations or just plinking.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2002
  7. jerry

USA
    Thanks guys, just wondered if this would confuse anyone else as much as me. I could give a rats butt about the chambers in my cylinder as long as they are to specification and safe to shoot.

8. As long as the timing on the cylinder is correct it is a sweet shoot.

9. jerry

USA
    just like in comedy, timing is everything