Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Im pretty sure they will work fine, afterall the mauser is a very nice shooting rifle...if it is on a website post the link. I'd like to take a look at that one

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
I know nothing about them, but condition, authenticity, rarity, and collectibility all matter. That might sound redundant, but here's the thing:
Sporterized, a gun may be in great condition but inauthentic and worth less.
Authentically, a gun may still be so common that it is priced lower.
Even if rare, a gun may still deserve a lower price due to lack of desire for it.
If there's something desireable about these guns, it could still demand a good price if enough people are willing to buy them.

I've never heard of a Syrian Mauser, closest geographically would be Persian, Turkish, or Israeli. What's the caliber, barrel length, and such? Pictures would help greatly.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guy's
I'm interested in a Mauser Sporter and since this guy has been bubbed... I might get rid of that ugly furniture it has got now. Next question would it be hard to find a sporter stock for this guy?
How hard would it be to build my own stock?
Does Winchester/federal make 8mm ammo?
Anything you can tell me about this gun will be a greate help.
Thanks

http://www.valleyguns.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=819671868

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
That looks pretty similar to a Yugoslav M48. That's a good price in Canadian if it's the same bubbad or not. I got my girlfriend a Yugoslav M48 for $150 USD tax included. Never seen them again for that price. This one was of course completely stock.

Come to think of it, if the scope has any value to you, its inclusion probably makes this a really good deal, whether you keep it on this gun or separate it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you convinced me battle.
You figure it to be a good huntin' rifle then?
Is it hard to find replacement stocks?

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Yugos are usually designed and built with simple but very high quality, and in some cases tougher than the original. The M48 Mausers have a slightly shorter action designed for the 8x57mm loads we consider standard as opposed to the earliest ones that used rounds with longer OAL.

Should be an excellent rifle as it is, scope or no scope, per your preference. Not sure what I think on the butt work, but I suppose see if you like it. If you wish to replace the stock, make sure you get one from an M48. I don't think the others will fit.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I went along and bought it yesterday!!!
I will take some time to get from Ontario to Stoon, and I can't wait!!!!
Since it does not have much historical value I and is already drilled for a scope. I want to totally sporterize it. I want to keep the Original Barrel (for now,how much will it cost for a new 8mm barrel anyway?)
New sporter stock, (Anyone know where I can find one,and do they ship to Canada?)
New trigger, and what type or brand sould I use.
I really want this rifle to look good and since Winter is another 4months. I want to make this my winter project.
Any and all helpp will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
New 8mm barrels are generally not expensive, but I doubt there would be any improvement over the original. In my opinion, the only reason to sporterize a Mauser is for a more common round, say 308 or 30-06, which require only a barrel change.

Might want to reconsider total sporterization, as I would think there is some historical value to it as it is, even if drilled for a scope.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice guy's.
I know you can't go wrong with the mausers (my forefathers gave the limey's a whupping with them) :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts