Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get some input on what are commonly called "battle" or "war" belts. Personally its really more of a range/ hiking/ camping /woods and lastly a possible shft/wrol situation. I dont plan on going to war or battle with it, the most intense thing would likely be self defense in one of the later mentioned scenarios. So anyways, that was all to explain why i titled it the way i did. I'm thinking of a more modern style, molle or laser cut webbing, velrco, buckles etc.. not the old leather belt / holster that admittedly has worked well for decades.

I've already purchased a belt, Condor LCS FDE:

https://condoroutdoor.com/121174-lcs-gun-belt.html

It goes over your clothing/ regular belt as more of an add on accessory than part of your pants like a normal belt. This will be handy to put on / off as needed. its pretty thick with some neoprene foam on the inside to hold it in place and keep it comfortable. the first one I got was wayyy too big so im waiting on a replacement. I really struggled with what color to get, i know it doesn't really matter, but im indecisive sometimes lol! originally got black size large, it looked good, but i always have a hankerin for FDE.. so i got the medium size in fde as the replacement.. only thing is all the pouches and holster are black, oh well, maybe it will blend well? The quality of the belt seemed very solid, much better than I expected really, I got the one with the older style clip buckle, that thing is the most robust plastic buckle ive seen! anyways, that saved like $40 off the price of the belt over the more expensive version with the "cobra style" buckle( i paid about $30 on amzn) Plus, the buckle can always be replaced later if needed, but I doubt it will be an issue.

Im planing to run a single pistol and rifle mag pouch on the left, weak side, for quick reloads. OWB pistol holster on the right strong arm side, along with a knife either in front of or behind the holster. I also picked up a little dump pouch, it rolls up and velcro's closed so its small until you open it, then it fits 3-4 ar mags or just stuff in general, gloves, eye/ ear pro etc.. This belt could work as a system with my shtf /bug out bag if need be, or stand alone for range use. I'd like to get into more "tactical" firearms training that includes quick reloads which is what got me into thinking of using a belt like this.

I have another single pistol and rifle mag pouch, the closed top kind, I could throw those on if i felt it was needed (shft) but feel like it may be too heavy too keep on there all the time. Also thinking of adding a flashlight & pouch but havent really done much looking at them.

So, anyways, does anyone have any experience/ opinions /comments to share?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I get a kick out of the resurgence of gun belts. Of course they used to be called pistol belts, and were held up by suspenders. Now they're called battle belts, and cost anywhere from a few times to 50 times what a pistol belt does. I'm not a fan. I got issued a Ronin battle belt, and gave it to another guy in my flight, because I'll never use it for anything that couldn't be done with an old school pistol belt. That being said, I know a lot of guys run them and love them. I rarely want my kit without my body armor, and I've found it quite uncomfortable to wear both body armor and a belt. I get chafed something fierce by it. My day to day work belt is heavy enough to throw a holster and mag pouch on it if I need to, and other than that I'll just kit up.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,944 Posts
Whatever works for ya. It's tough to lose old habits and it even feels wrong if my hair gets too long (left that world 14 years ago). But my wife kinda 'scoffs' at me that if I'm not wearing one uniform I'm wearing another.

What works for me ? I kinda like leather and have found the Simply Rugged belts and their strong side OWB holsters to work very well and feel comfortable (dress doesn't always permit this but often does). Sometimes it's with a gun in one of their holsters strong side draw, sometimes it's an IWB or the Sig 365 in pocket or (better) AIWB in a nemesis. Tuff writer mini-click pen in one side of left hand shirt pocket, streamlight micro-stream USB rechargeable in the other side. EDC knife on right side of LAPG atlas pants (or 5-11s) and spare mag either in Lt side pocket (atlas) or mag pouch (5-11s).

At least I know where everything is and don't have to go hunting around for anything.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Really kind of dictated by what works best for you. If I was going to run a belt daily it would be either an old fashioned LC-1/ LC-2 Nylon bel buying.
I've got two belts left from MOLLE type 1 vests that are rigged up to H harnesses for long range patrolling.
Been looking for thinner options for daily wear.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,725 Posts
Yeah belts may be like holsters, a box of them somewhere.
I personally like Bigfoot leather with steel core or a good nylon riggers belt. The name may save you money.
I’d never actually recommend one unless I could take it off my body, give it to someone and be able to converse with them a few weeks later.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the input fellas, keep in mind this isnt for edc or daily duty use, just the occasional range use and from time to time while out in the mountains camping and doing my little walk around the camp site. nothing to special, Im just always excited about new gear, plus it will ,look great with my bug out bag!

·
Wonderment :)
34,009 Posts
MosinRuger: Sir; on my off-days; carrying 7.5" Super Blackhawk;
I use a safety harness. The heavy-weight on my side; carried by my shoulders
With water bottle on the other side :)
Britches aren't pulled off :)
(I tend to walk long distances)

The unit has many options. (My messes)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Whatever works for ya. It's tough to lose old habits and it even feels wrong if my hair gets too long (left that world 14 years ago). But my wife kinda 'scoffs' at me that if I'm not wearing one uniform I'm wearing another.

What works for me ? I kinda like leather and have found the Simply Rugged belts and their strong side OWB holsters to work very well and feel comfortable (dress doesn't always permit this but often does). Sometimes it's with a gun in one of their holsters strong side draw, sometimes it's an IWB or the Sig 365 in pocket or (better) AIWB in a nemesis. Tuff writer mini-click pen in one side of left hand shirt pocket, streamlight micro-stream USB rechargeable in the other side. EDC knife on right side of LAPG atlas pants (or 5-11s) and spare mag either in Lt side pocket (atlas) or mag pouch (5-11s).

At least I know where everything is and don't have to go hunting around for anything.
I'm with you on Simply Rugged. Rob used to have his shop in Wasilla and then abandoned us for the sun, snakes and scorpions in Arizona.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the same belt in coyote tan. Mine isn't set up all the way. I want it for a hunting belt / survival gun belt. Most of the time it will have a rat 5 knife on it. It will also have extra pistol mag.first aid. It will also have a shot shell holder pouch. All almost forgot a holster for a pistol.
For deer hunting the pistol ,pistol mag. Pouches will come off. Shot shell holder will come off. Then if im useing a single shot rifle I will add rifle shell belt slide to it.
If I'm useing a bolt action then I will put a mag pouch on it. The trauma kit will stay . The rat 5 will also stay . A canteen will be added. Maybe a compass pouch and a small fire kit pouch will be added .

Sent from my A503DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the same belt in coyote tan. Mine isn't set up all the way. I want it for a hunting belt / survival gun belt. Most of the time it will have a rat 5 knife on it. It will also have extra pistol mag.first aid. It will also have a shot shell holder pouch. All almost forgot a holster for a pistol.
For deer hunting the pistol ,pistol mag. Pouches will come off. Shot shell holder will come off. Then if im useing a single shot rifle I will add rifle shell belt slide to it.
If I'm useing a bolt action then I will put a mag pouch on it. The trauma kit will stay . The rat 5 will also stay . A canteen will be added. Maybe a compass pouch and a small fire kit pouch will be added .

Sent from my A503DL using Tapatalk
sounds great!

this belt is really comfortable, i hiked up a small peak with it on and man i hardly noticed it. the large size of it and all the padding and layers really spread out any load.

i have a pistol mag at 3', dump pouch at 6' and then on the other side at 9 is a single ar mag and at 10 a single pistol mag then at 11 is a schrade knife.

its really more for range use, camping/hiking around the mountains, and then SHTF if it comes down to it. i have other pouches or mag holders that can be swapped on /off as well. its a really versatile and comfortable belt. I like being able to have the belt and firearms loaded up and ready to go in my passenger seat while out in the back country. grab and go if need be.

·
Banned
754 Posts
I go 50/50 on this and the sturdy leather steel lined belt.

The nice thing with the riggers belt is adjustability. A little more tension makes up for support without discomfort.
https://www.shopmyexchange.com/dlats-air-force-issue-sand-rigger-belt-abu-/1051607
I have a couple of those. The problem is they shrink over time. Mine has shrunk 4-5 inches since I retired. Other than that they last forever.

Personally I like leather for everything belt, holsters, slings, until it rains. Water Buffalo seems to last longer than anything. Stumbled on to this guy at a trade show. These are just heavy belts for jeans but hold heavy guns well. $25 and free shipping, excellent quality, I bought 2 a couple years ago wear one everyday and use the other for a gun belt and no signs of wear. https://traditionsleathercraft.com/shop/ols/products/leather-belt-1-12-wide-dark-brown

He custom makes holsters for pistol, rifle, anything leather and I looked at dozens of his products. FWIW https://traditionsleathercraft.com/

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a couple of those. The problem is they shrink over time. Mine has shrunk 4-5 inches since I retired. Other than that they last forever.

Personally I like leather for everything belt, holsters, slings, until it rains. Water Buffalo seems to last longer than anything. Stumbled on to this guy at a trade show. These are just heavy belts for jeans but hold heavy guns well. $25 and free shipping, excellent quality, I bought 2 a couple years ago wear one everyday and use the other for a gun belt and no signs of wear. https://traditionsleathercraft.com/shop/ols/products/leather-belt-1-12-wide-dark-brown

He custom makes holsters for pistol, rifle, anything leather and I looked at dozens of his products. FWIW https://traditionsleathercraft.com/

very nice! this one is adjustable and I have it on the smallest setting now, so i've got room for it to "shrink".

thats a good price for leather belts.

the dump pouch on the belt was very handy at the range today. I had originally considered leaving that off the belt, but its definitely staying. and i think one more pistol mag will be useful as well.

·
Super Moderator
16,919 Posts
For a "War belt"

Ive had this belt for years now and its held up fine.

https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/sure-grip-padded-belt-31PB.html

Holds pistol holster, double mag pouch, trauma kit and one rifle mag and is my second line gear that would go with my Crye Precision Gen 1 JPC plate carrier.

Its padded with tacky material on the inside and doesnt move.

I have since gone back to a different brand one that's padded but only two inches thick with MOLLE and it holds the same stuff.

On my SWAT gear I have

https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/33DG0-33DG0.html
Doesnt need belt keepers and has the same tacky padded material on the inside.
You interlace your inner belt inside this one and thread the inner belt on the outside of the main belt where you want to mount stuff. Then you can just click it on with the security buckle.

I have a triple single stack mag pouch on it, one AR mag pouch, foldable dump pouch, trauma/med kit, baton holder, and holster. All of the other stuff goes on my plate carrier.

The HSGI stuff is more expensive but it is very high quality and will last under tough use.

I cant say the same for the condor stuff. Condo Stuff does not last... period. Our work bought a bunch of condor stuff once to try to save money and it was a mess. Nothing lasted very long let alone from normal every day wear.

For normal every day belts I have two belts depending on what holster Im wearing for CCW.

https://magpul.com/apparel-gear/accessories/belts.html

They make three types one is leather and a couple are a tacky rubbery material. I have one of those, the El Burro one The leather ones are leather reinforced with polymer and the El Burro is a polymer only belt. Its super strong but also super thin and flexable. And it looks like a normal belt but its strong enough to support a full sized all metal pistol holster or whatever else comfortably.

I also have a Ares Gear Aegis Belt.
https://www.aresgear.com/index.php?...07_111&zenid=2301e27dbb3a574a22725db64861cac0

Also works with more normal street wear, very stiff with a friction buckle... you could probably a tow a car with this belt if it was long enough. It works great for if you have to thread on more stuff but I wear this as a normal pants belt frequently if Im not wearing my Magpul El Burro belt.

Some of the clips on my CCW holsters are thicker or thinner so depending on which fits better determines if I wear the magpul or the Areas Gear belt.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Banned
754 Posts
very nice! this one is adjustable and I have it on the smallest setting now, so i've got room for it to "shrink".

thats a good price for leather belts.

the dump pouch on the belt was very handy at the range today. I had originally considered leaving that off the belt, but its definitely staying. and i think one more pistol mag will be useful as well.
I have used military issue belts for decades with no problems. Had one set for a 1911, another for the M9. Today I have a nylon that takes K frame size guns or a 1911/high cap 9mm, set for cross draw. Originally used it on horses, now just 4 x 4. Cross draw keeps the gun butt out of the way if hunting or carrying a rifle, especially with a sling.

Probably going to set up a completely new rig for the SW Governor. I always carry 2 when I do not have a rifle and the Governor with the 410s in it are a perfect hiking tool, a lot more practical than I would have thought. A big gun but only weighs 29 ounces, so easy to carry. I need some kind of pouch to hold, 410s, 45 acp moon clips or 45 Colt in speed loaders. When I carried a Single action with the 45 acp cylinder, i just carried spare ammo in a 1911 mag, but the Governor adds a new dimension with the 3 caliber options. I also carry a pocket gun, a KelTec Pf9 or Glock 43 and with the gun belt on they never show. Getting paranoid in my old age, always wanting a second gun out of sight. I also add a larger belt knife when I use a separate gun belt. Just seems like it belongs there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts