Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,861 Posts
Love my SX2 basically FNSLP. Wife picked it up and shot it well. Daughter with minimal instruction ran a 500 mossy youth model 20.
She looked at where to set the stock in shoulder pocket early on. But after about 50 rounds it came automatic. Skinny little girl can run a pump gun!
Wife with my Super x 2 12ga. It’s “her” gun. For what it’s worth. This SX2 has not had one mis step or malfunction since acquiring it in 2004.
Just general info.

·
Wonderment :)
34,312 Posts
jerry: Sir; 😃 The Teacher😁. She settled in nicely 😁

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I don't care much for lights fastened to a gun. Then you are pointing a deadly flashlight at every noise and shiny glint you want to look at. It doesn't take much to make a life altering mistake like that. Bump, trip, loud noise or just the cat jumping off a shelf can "trigger" the natural first instinct to "grab" what you are holding. I just think it is a bad idea for a main source of light. If you carrying a separate "looking around light" but then you are back to a one handed pump gun.
I agree if you are walking around the house looking for a noise but if you have risk I want that gun pointing exactly where I am looking. It is my job to control the gun if I trip or have some loud noise or movement happen.

When in law enforcement searching in a warehouse or junkyard or something like that you did not want the light on the gun because the light was a target. So we pointed the gun toward the action and held the light in the off hand, off to the side of our body. But the gun was still pointed where the suspect or noise was coming from.

What I finally did for the house which is rural and has all kinds of critters passing by is put those tiny clip on lights on the guns. I use them for critters at night, skunks usually and an occasional coyote. I have a couple Streamlight that were expensive but have found the cheap ones just as good.

I have one on a high capacity 9mm and it lights up both the target and the sights so well I can shoot targets out to 50 yards. I kept it in the RV for years, and it is my dedicated RV pistol. I have them on a 1911-22 suppressed 1911, one on a pump shotgun, one a KelTec Sub 2000, and a couple on ARs.

The little lights I use for those guns are like this picture but not the same brand: I have 6 of them some more than 10 years and never had one go bad. These are $33.00. They are just as good as my Streamlights so I will never pay the big bucks again. They are only 150 lumens but that is fine for a human or coyote at 50 yards.

Anyway. if I hear a noise in the night, I carry a flashlight in the off hand, but if I see it is a critter the little light comes on.

FWIW

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Everyone has their preferences, for sure.
My very first firearm was my Remingtom 878 Automaster 12 gauge.
I started out trying to hit clay pigeons with a few different guns and did poorly until something clicked with that 878. So I went with it.
A few years later, when first married and underemployed, I took quite a few partridges, rabbits, and squirrels with it to help with the supper table

Since then, I can use almost any shotgun type and hit my clays - I am far from being any kind of top shot, but enough for my satisfaction. Once I got into 3-gun competition I bought a Mossberg 930 SPX 12 gauge. Those hold 8 rounds and I put on a longer magazine tube to hold 9, for the max division capacity.
I had tried a Maverick 88 I got as part of a trade, but that just did not feel right to me. (My Rem 878 only holds 3 rounds and cannot be altered to hold more.)

With the 18-1/2" barrel, I can comfortably shoot the Federal TruBall Low Recoil slugs at 3" @ 100 yards. #4 buck has a nice pattern at 15 yards. 7-1/2 bird shot also does very nicely at 15 to 20 yards.
Even with target loads, I find that some brands kick harder than others. Some will "push" me back when shooting a 9 round plate rack. But the Remington Nitro 27 Premium Handicap shells have an easy recoil and pattern very well, and knock down the steel when necessary (those are the gold colored shells from Walmart)
I also have a 24" screw-in choke barrel to swap out for bird hunting.

So, that's just me and my choice but I would use the 930 for home defense, simply because I'm familiar with mine.

·
Super Moderator
16,938 Posts
"Just because you have a weapon mounted light you have to aim it at somebody." Not true.

A weapon mounted light should never be your only light anyways. It only supplements a hand held light.

That being said there are plenty of tactics to properly use both or one or another to properly use a weapon mounted light to do a search without lasering your target.

If you have a handheld light you can get a smaller surefire type light with either a either a side ring attachment or a lanyard. you can search with your handheld in the ice pick grip and if and when you find and positively ID a potential shoot target you can flip the light around your finger to the outside of your hand with the ring attachment and use your flashlight hand to run the pump or if you have the wrist lanyard around your wrist with tension you can let go of the light to support your long gun.

If you only have a weapon mounted light all of the newer ones (600+ lumens) are bright enough where you can illuminate the ground/floor from a low ready position the ambient light will still allow you to see fine. Just because you have a weapon mounted light doesnt mean you are always aiming directly at something with it.

When indoors flooding the floor or doing the opposite (hitting the ceiling from a compressed high ready position) will be enough to illuminate the whole room without you having to be aiming directly outwards at someone.

If you are using proper low light tactics you can do a whole area search (even easier in buildings) with a weapon mounted handgun or long gun light and never laser somebody. Its no different than if i clear an entire building doing threshold clears etc. I can clear about 80%+ of a room from outside at the threshhold and then make entry and stay at a high or low ready the entire time without ever actually aiming in on somebody. hence the point of a ready position. Adding a bright tactical level output light doesn't change much.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just because you have a weapon mounted light you have to aim it at somebody. Not true.

A weapon mounted light should never be your only light anyways. It only supplements a hand held light.

That being said there are plenty of tactics to properly use both or one or another to properly use a weapon mounted light to do a search without lasering your target.

If you have a handheld light you can get a smaller surefire type light with either a either a side ring attachment or a lanyard. you can search with your handheld in the ice pick grip and if and when you find and positively ID a potential shoot target you can flip the light around your finger to the outside of your hand with the ring attachment and use your flashlight hand to run the pump or if you have the wrist lanyard around your wrist with tension you can let go of the light to support your long gun.

If you only have a weapon mounted light all of the newer ones (600+ lumens) are bright enough where you can illuminate the ground/floor from a low ready position the ambient light will still allow you to see fine. Just because you have a weapon mounted light doesnt mean you are always aiming directly at something with it.

When indoors flooding the floor or doing the opposite (hitting the ceiling from a compressed high ready position) will be enough to illuminate the whole room without you having to be aiming directly outwards at someone.

If you are using proper low light tactics you can do a whole area search (even easier in buildings) with a weapon mounted handgun or long gun light and never laser somebody. Its no different than if i clear an entire building doing threshold clears etc. I can clear about 80%+ of a room from outside at the threshhold and then make entry and stay at a high or low ready the entire time without ever actually aiming in on somebody. hence the point of a ready position. Adding a bright tactical level output light doesn't change much.
Well said.

Reactions: neophyte and TACAV

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
So now I'm gonna have two lights and a two handed pump action shot gun?

It is not for me. I've spent to much time slinking around, in the dark actually killing stuff that isn't even dangerous and has a brain no bigger than a walnut. May be it is just me but for me the down side out weighs the up side to that set up and especially for use against possibly armed and deliberate attacker OR attackers. May be if it was a full on war me against the world I might rethink it but I'm not THERE yet.

Reactions: neophyte
21 - 28 of 28 Posts