close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Take-down pistol

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, May 24, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Still a year before I can buy one, but I'd like to eventually get a CCW pistol that can be easily disassembled for storage in places that would not permit storage of a complete firearm. Caliber of choice would be 45 ACP or 40 S&W, but possibly smaller calibers if they can be taken down more thoroughly without tools. Cost is also a factor.

2. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Wow...that's a stumper

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Get a modern .40 like a Sig, Glock, or Walther. The slides come off very easily on all 3, and easily go right back on.

4. BattleRifleG3

Are there any where the barrel comes off too?

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

uh, just about all locked breech pistols have removable barrels. On modern guns like the Sig, take down (or stripping) goes like this:
    1. push magazine release and drop magazine. Make sure chamber is empty.
    2. retract and lock slide.
    3. rotate takedown lever forward.
    4. pull back on slide to disengage catch, then ease it forward until it comes loose from frame rail. At this point, you have the pistol in 3 pieces, the frame, slide assembly, and magazine. Youn further disassemble it.
    5. turn the slide over and push on the end of recoil spring guide and pull it out.
    6. lift the barrel out.

These steps take much longer to descrobe than to do. It takes less than 30 seconds to take down a pistol like this. The Walthers, Glocks, HK, and most other modern pistols come apart very easily.

For CCW, you might want to sheck out a Glock 19. There is also a compact .45 called the DDA by Charles Daly, and the compact version of the Baby Eagle.

Last edited: May 25, 2002
  6. Klaus,
    I would say the glock, breaks down rely fast and reasembles just as fast.
    You can get one for about $529 new(thats what we sell them for anyway) Used some hwere around $350 to $450 maybe less. usualy used you can get holsters and mags with them. best bet is to keep your ear open at your local shooting range or gun rafles.
    Gun shows are chargeing way to much and those of us trying to make a liveing on them will mark them up.
    Good luck.

7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

why dissassemble the pistol? it ain't much bigger together than apart, besides are you gonna ask the perp to hold up while you gather all the parts and reassemble your gun? i just don't get it!:confused:

8. BattleRifleG3

Reason to disassemble the pistol would be if storing it in an area that would have issue with you storing a complete pistol. When leaving, one would assemble it and leave with it concealed.
    I'm talking private organizations with safety regs independent of any laws.

I'm sort of inclined towards a Glock 24. Sure it's not the most compact, but I think it's nice. And even if it's heavier to wield, it probably gives better aim.

As far as other guns go, I'd also consider the 1911 or Charles Daly DDA 45/40. Do they come apart as well? The main thing for me would be to separate slide, frame, and barrel.

9. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Yes, they come apart. The Daly comes apart easily. Old fashioned guns like the 1911 take a bit more work.

10. BattleRifleG3

Any other suggestions in 40 S&W or 45 ACP? Criteria is full size, removable barrel, and affordability, ie sub $500, $300 is better. Could probably get 1911 for $270ish. I know what Glock prices are like, what about Sig and Walther?

11. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The SigPros are similar to Glocks in price. The regular Sigs are $100-$150 more than the equivalant Glock.

12. BattleRifleG3

I looked at a few Sigs, they're neat looking but a little wierd to me. What are mag prices like?
    Mags aside, I'd lean more towards Glock.

Of course 1911 and DDA are much more affordable, and more to my taste. Think they'd fit the application?

Last edited: May 27, 2002
  13. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I would recommend the DDA. It is lighter, easier to take apart, more compact, higher capacity (10+1), less likely to snag.

14. BattleRifleG3

Now I have a dilemma... Charles Daly announced that it's stopped production of the DDA pistols. SOG and CDNN still have inventories, but they'll dry up and probably go up in price. Now I'm 20 and would have to convince a parent to buy it for me, then let it sit in a case for another year. I'd much rather take the time to decide and make room in the budget, but if DDA is what I want, now looks like the time to buy.
    Of course a Llama would cost less and take all the 1911 accessories. So my next question is, though the DDA might be easier to take down, can the 1911 be taken down without tools into barrel, frame, and slide?

15. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Well, look at the Baby Eagles. They are almost IDENTICAL to the Charles Dalys and built in the same plant in Bul, Israel. Plus you have more options in legth, calibers, and materials. The prices are reasonable. They are marketed by Magnum Research. magnumresearch.com

16. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Why not go for a Browning HP in .40S&W? the price is a bit higher than your target price, but the slide comes off with the barrrell fully locked in place with one quick pin stroke. then barrell/slide combination can be stored independantly of frame/mag. Plus you have the option of high caps.

17. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    agree with the 40 hi-power. except that there have never been hi-cap mags produced for it, and the ones browning/fn designed were only 11 rounders anyhow. now that doesn't mean that you couldnt get some argentinian 17rnd 9mm mags, and recontour the feedlips to make yourself some hi-caps.

18. BattleRifleG3

At this point I'm looking for a yay or nay on whether a 1911 can be taken down without tools into slide, barrel, and frame. That's my preference, and the one that will be around the longest.

19. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    yes you can take down a 1911 without tools. unless you start adding things like a solid guide rod or other things. a standard 1911 will come apart in 2-3 seconds once you know how.

20. FireStar

FireStar G&G Newbie

Your best bet is the FireStar M40 in .40 S&W. I own one myself and I can break it down into its FIVE (5) main pieces, (which are... magazine, frame/receiver, slide assembly, recoil spring/guide and barrel) in less than FIVE (5) seconds.

I don't know of another semi-auto that will break down into those same 5 pieces that fast.