close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Talk about stupid!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Huh? What?, May 19, 2017.

1. Huh? What?

Huh? What? G&G Evangelist

Some local hikers found a locked metal box. They drove it home and cut the lock off. It was full of old dynamite - 25 pounds of old dynamite. They put it back int he car and drove it to the Sheriff substation. The bomb squad took it out in the hills and detonated it.

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2017/may/19/hikers-stumble-upon-dynamite-skull-valley-trail/

[​IMG]

The Sheriff's spokes man said "if you find explosives like these, “Do not bring such items into population centers if at all possible,” but give authorities the location of the item where you found it."

2. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

At least they didn't use a cutting torch, to remove the lock! :eek:

big shrek, Cyrano, TheWall and 6 others like this.
  3. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

some people have all the luck..

4. MikeWA

MikeWA G&G Evangelist

I miss the old days, even though I wasn't around.

Edit to Add: Warning that the fellow telling this story uses a 4 letter word a few times in the telling. Not in an offensive way in the slightest to me, but some folks are more sensitive than I am.
    I love this old guy.

TheWall, Brandhard, grizcty and 4 others like this.
  5. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

MikeWa, I am not sensitive to the vernacular being used. HOWEVER!!! I have hearing issues, and have to turn up volumes, but not when my grand daughter is around! She lives with me, I am her guardian, must do the right things!:):D

CountryBoy and ncnascarlady like this.
  6. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    HA!! That would have been an Up lifting experience!

big shrek and austinjoe13 like this.
  7. Been me, I would have kept it..............

austinjoe13 and Stickman like this.
  8. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    Atlas Powder Company....

It might have been a little more humorous if the box said "ACME" on it though! Maybe with a mixture of bird seed and steel shot, a giant magnet, roller skates, a rocket backpack............

big shrek, ChaZam, CountryBoy and 8 others like this.
  9. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

In local paper, a guy went through a metal detector at the court house, monitored by a deputy. Guy put his objects in bowl going through metal detector. Deputy noticed bag of meth in bowl and went to arrest subject. Subject fled court house leaving his cell phone for sheriffs office to run him down.

10. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I probably wouldn't have been moving that stuff too far. [it's starting to degrade pretty badly]
    but it would have been fun while it lasted.

big shrek and PAPA G like this.
  11. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Well chit,
    That sure was a chitty story! :D
    crap-emoticon.gif

animalspooker and PAPA G like this.
  12. Sounds Hillareous.
    I dont know if what you call dynamite is similar to
    Gelignite? which we used in coal mines.
    Coal used to be delivered to homes in Scotland
    and a piece of Gelignite would sometimes turn up
    among the coal.If it was tossed on the fire it would
    just melt like fat and burn away.

13. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

they were lucky! older dynamite has to be turned as the Nitro- Glycerin will drip through the filler and be real unstable.
    old dynamite is usually destroyed by burning. it takes another explosion to set dynamite off, not heat. same as C-4.

14. A stick of dynamite will burn just like a stick of wood !............

blaster likes this.
  15. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

Will shooting it like you see in the movies set it off?

16. MikeWA

MikeWA G&G Evangelist

I remember a John Wayne movie from when I was a kid, sitting on the couch with my feet dangling off the edge. The good guys had a box of dynamite and the bad guys were inside a wooden building, and The Duke was shooting the sticks as they were thrown towards the building. That was an awe-inspiring scene for a little boy. Good memory.

big shrek likes this.
  17. Basicly Dynamite is Nitroglycerine that was processed with a clay slurry, then poured into a cardboard case. After it hardeneds it is safe to handle. It takes an explosion to set it off, usually a blasting cap. Because it is not gunpowder as said above, it will not detonate when placed in a fire.
    Nitroglycerine is so unstable in liquid form that it can detonate even if it is not in motion. Sitting in a container on a shelf it can explode for no reason. That is why it is usually kept in small quantities if in pure liquid form.

The trouble with old sticks of Dynamite is that the Nitroglycerine will "sweat" out of the stick when the Dynamite gets old. This leaves the Nitro in a pure liquid form again. This means it can be unstable to move.

Dynamite is different from TNT. Dynamite is Nitroglycerine in a clay carrier. TNT is a yellow powder Trinitrotoluene a derivative of Toluene by nitration. Like Dynamite it is reasonably safe to carry when packed in stick form. And like Dynamite TNT needs an initial explosion to set it off, usually a blasting cap.

18. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

no. see above.

TheWall likes this.
  19. They don't use diatomaceous earth, ie; CLAY as the absorbent any more it has been replaced by cheaper media such as sawdust, wood pulp, flour, or starch, and YES a bullet will set it off !.........