Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

The outer edge of civilization
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I could have fired up my Google-fu but their answers aren't as good as your personal experiences.

There's a reason I'm asking, other than being just plain curious. I can get fat for making tallow from 100% grass fed, grass finished cattle locally for $5.00 lb and want to get some to see what I can do with it.

Registered
What else can you buy for $5 a pound? Seems a bit steep for a waste product when there might be a specific survival product at that same price. I can buy cheap bacon for $5 a pound and eat it then have lots of grease left over. It will burn, lubricate and even turn vegetarian food into a taste worthy treat. Prior to recent years when we use it for bird feed, I kept it and used to to treat wooden fence posts when we would set them. I would soak them, stick them in the ground and then cover the top of the post and let is run down the sides. Most of those wooden posts will stay dark and lubed for many years. , These days we save our used motor oil for that.

Of course we can burn it in a SHTF situation. But do not do so now.

Registered
Can be mixed with herbs to make medicinal salves is a very good carrier for that kind of thing.
Can be boiled with willow bark to produce a product similar to asper cream. There is a pain killer in the bark the tallow will absorb when the bark is boiled in it. It will keep for years once made.
Great for arthritis and joint pain. I used to buy it off a lady that made it wish I knew exactly how.

Registered
Use it to season cast irom pans. Warm the pan then spread the lard or tallow, them heat the pan up to 300 deg. When the pan cools down there will be a glossy coating on the pan, do this 3 more time and no food will stick to that cast iron surface. Pensonaly I use lard or bacon greese. Here is a dutch over I bought for $2.00 all rusted. I cleaned it up and did 3 coats of bacon greese. Now it looks like new and cooks great, a fish frying machine! Cookware and bakeware Kitchen appliance Gas Cooking Composite material

Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I figured you might have some ideas. I'm going to pick some up the next time Mom's gone for a week or so and see what I can do with it.

Why wait until Mom's gone? So I don't have to hear about the smell or get asked the same 3 questions every time she wanders through the kitchen. :rolleyes:

Registered
I know, I could have fired up my Google-fu but their answers aren't as good as your personal experiences.

There's a reason I'm asking, other than being just plain curious. I can get fat for making tallow from 100% grass fed, grass finished cattle locally for $5.00 lb and want to get some to see what I can do with it.
It's great for long term storage for cooking
Effective bullet lube
Chamber grease for BP firearms and for water-proofing paper cartridges
Several countries used it as a sort of cosmoline
Coat paper with it and use it for cheese storage
candles and lamps
soap
Smear it on paper to make a screen for a lantern
Water proofing canvas, or in a pinch boots or a homemade raincoat
seasoning cast iron
salves and polstices
treat a burn
treating a wound
greasing twine for sewing
making pemmican
making catfish bait or minnow bait

and many a fine antique weapon was preserved wrapped in burlap that was covered in it

Registered
before you buy it talk to your local butcher.
i use beef fat to cut my deer meat when i make hamburger from it.
the local kid saves me about 20 lbs. in a couple of days and charges me nothing for it.
i could probably get enough from him in a years time to fill a U-haul without keeping a regular schedule.

Banned

Discussion Starter · #17 ·
before you buy it talk to your local butcher.
i use beef fat to cut my deer meat when i make hamburger from it.
the local kid saves me about 20 lbs. in a couple of days and charges me nothing for it.
i could probably get enough from him in a years time to fill a U-haul without keeping a regular schedule.
Step 1. Find a local butcher I can trust. You'd think a good butcher would be easy to find around here but they're not. I might be better off looking for a good beef processor (slaughter house).

Registered
Best french fries I ever had were in Denmark, of all places. Twice fried in tallow. Coarse salt.
I like a good, hot, salty fry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts