Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Global Warming Enthusiast
3,962 Posts
I'm interested as well, I have a Golden Boy too and was thinking of messing with it... no idea why except because that's what we do.

·
Old man, No tact...
12,367 Posts
I put a Marbles Tang Sight on two of my Marlin 39A's. I really like 'em. I have an extra tang sight, (new, unmounted) that I'd be willing to pass around to see if it suits anyone. I'm not 100% sure what this sight fits, but it would likely give someone an idea of whether they might like it or not, before they spend just over $100 for one.

If you're interested, start a conversation with me, and include a mailing address. I'll send the sight, and we can pass it around to see what you think. Anyone who sends me an address will be added to the conversation. No addresses should be posted in this thread. First come, first served.

Here's the sight mounted on two of my Marlins....

39ax4a.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is very nice of you to do that. Do you happen to know the model no. of the sight? I am thinking about putting one on a Henry Golden boy.

·
Old man, No tact...
12,367 Posts
The sight is not marked, but the box it's in is a Marbles box marked 009804. I think the primary difference between the tang sights is a difference in mounting screw spacing. These mounting holes are 1/2" center-to-center. Even if you could only use one hole, it would give you an idea what the proper sight would be like.

Reactions: TXplt

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Jay? Any chance of you posting some pics of where the site is actually attached to the rifle? I'm curious. Any drilling you had to do?

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,686 Posts
Like Jay, I've got the Marbles Peep Tang on my .45 Colt, Marlin 39, and henry golden boy .22.

It's a great sight and has worked well for me with precision. You can also fold it over if you want to use the stock iron setup.

Other brands worth a look are Skinner and the Lyman graduated rear peep sight. The nice thing about peep sights is they preserve the authenticity of the lever gun while also allowing precise shooting.

·
Old man, No tact...
12,367 Posts
Jay? Any chance of you posting some pics of where the site is actually attached to the rifle? I'm curious. Any drilling you had to do?
No mods need to be done to mount the sight. In the pic above, you can see the sights mounted just above the grip. To mount the sight, just remove the tang screws, and use the supplied screws that will go through the sight base and into the tang just above the lever. I'll work on getting a pic.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,686 Posts
No mods need to be done to mount the sight. In the pic above, you can see the sights mounted just above the grip. To mount the sight, just remove the tang screws, and use the supplied screws that will go through the sight base and into the tang just above the lever. I'll work on getting a pic.
One caveat to that Jay is that on some models there is only one tang screw which matches or is usable for the setup (this happened on my .45 colt -- then again it well might have been my mistake in the specific model and matching the base to my JM variant). I COULD have drilled and tapped for the other one but found that liberal use of red locktite along the base along with the single tang screw secured the sight just fine. This didn't cause me any consternation in the long run because my rear sights in my XS equipped pistols use the same principle.

·
Old man, No tact...
12,367 Posts
Here's a pic of the setup...

tang sight.png

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
long screw and short screw in front of it I assume.

·
Old man, No tact...
12,367 Posts
long screw and short screw in front of it I assume.
If memory serves, it's just the reverse.... but I'm old. It will only go one way.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
goin from memory here too, that's just how I recall it.
either way one of them was a smaller 8X42? type.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i got a henry golden boy 22 lr for christmas. had two very high end sight in my extra drawer for 20 years. one was a buckhorn smith that has a 1200 yard ladder on it. the other is a 700 dollar soule sight for long range shooting. i though why not, never used them yet. put them both on the henry. the buckhorn ladder when tipped up and the sight is at the bottom hits right on at 180 yards. the soule sight i use to see my buckhorn sight a lot more clearly. the henry is a tack driver. a one hole gun. got to keep it clean and dont use any oil in it. if gets dirty it wont cycle. no problem, just clean it. its boreing almost to shoot because it is so reliable and so accurate. we all need boreing. i polished the wood to a much higher shine with HUTS polish on a soft cotton rag. i polished the muzzle to a chrome finish. love the gun. i can sure burn the ammo with it. i can go through a 500 round brick pretty fast.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Somehow missed this back when. Love the Marbles peep on my Rossi 92. Actually allowed me to hit what I was aiming at rather than trying to guess what a 4-6” or whatever hold off was with the ladder sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

1 - 20 of 20 Posts