Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
26,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
by taras' recomendation, let's see if we can get this rolling. May get as big as the truck thread :D

Tarheel Doves

Requirements
4 dove
1 cup of cooked rice
4 strips of bacon
1 cup Virginia (country) ham
1 tablespoon of flour
2 pinches of thyme
1.5 cups chicken stock
1 small onion
salt
pepper
1 tablespoon of butter

How to Cook

In a skillet melt 1 tablespoon of butter and saute 1 cup of good Virginia (or North Carolina) country ham chopped into 1/4-inch bits. When lightly browned add one minced onion, saute for about 1 minute, then stir in 1 cup of cooked rice and sprinkle with 2 pinches of thyme. stuff the doves with this dressing and pin 2 half slices of bacon across the breast of each dove. Place in a shallow roasting pan and put into an oven pre heated to 450 deg. for ten min. Add salt and pepper to one cup of chicken stock and after reducing the oven to 300 deg., baste the dove frequently with chicken stock for another 30 min. Remove doves to a warming oven, and place roasting pan over light flame, stir in 1 tablespoon of flour, then add 1/2 cup of chicken stock, stirring and scraping until thick gravy forms. Remove browned bacon from dove breasts, pour gravy over them and serve.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I'm game. When I get home tonight I'll pul out some mine. This is one of my favorite forums on the site.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I assume that I could use quail instead of dove. That recipe sounds great. Jerry add the ham to the ingredient list.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,182 Posts
How about a recipe for old pick'em up trucks!? :eek: ;) :D I've cooked a motor and a rearend before!:p

·
Registered
402 Posts
Good one NRAJOE. Truth be known I have honestly cooked out brake cylinders. Boil them out in an old pot before de-glazing as water is the only solvent I know that ain't harmful to them. Works like a charm, and yes I learnt this from my dad. All I learnt in school was how to make original excuses. Think I might make a book of them, the ex fell for most of them for over 8 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts