Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to install the sniper Peepsight on a Swedish M 96 without it being the original target rifle ?

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Is it possible to install the sniper Peepsight on a Swedish M 96 without it being the original target rifle ?
You can buy the original peep sights. So what type of sight are you referring to. Any pics, part number or brand etc...?

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Here is the original rear sight from WWI that came on many of the M96 rifles. Not a peep site but quality sight for back then on the Swede

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So here’s the deal...I purchased this Mauser for around $800 and I’m just curious if a standard M 96 can be converted into this. Basically I’m worried I just bought something that was doctored instead of an original.

·
Registered
625 Posts

My 1905 M96 Swedish Mauser came with this sight but without a little more info like rando asked for it will be almost impossible to answer your question Phineas J.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
I have seen quite a few similar ones like that before. All slightly different according to what Manufacturer. Thing is the rear receiver was drilled and tapped for that one you have. No big deal. Just remove that one. If you like it then keep it on and use it. Her is a nice Williams Brand peep sight for your rifle also. It simply goes in the place of the rear elevated sight you have .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you think that’s a factory original or do you think that was done after the rifle was actually manufactured?

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
All I know is that back when I was big into collecting milsurps is the target sights were often removed and sold separately. As I had one 96 with the receiver drilled and tapped for the rear sight. So even if those were factory or arsenal issued sights it could be impossible to determine if it was original to that exact rifle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So do you think a rifle with the target sights produced from the factory was a better and more accurate rifle than the standard Swedish M96 ? Thanks for your input

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Yes when issued as new.
I can't recall the exact selection procedure but generally a rifle will be bench rest tested and then it might be selected for either a target or sniper rifle.
I just don't remember the exact procedure the Swedes used.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow !
So I guess the question would be how would one be able to determine if one’s M96 target Mauser, was an original or not ?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I believe this one may be yours Phineas J.

"Söderin. One of the more common of the Swedish diopter sights, the Söderin was produced first in the late 1940s. There are different calibration rings for different ammunition."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts