Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FAC's ads for replacement barrels caught my eye when I noticed the same barrel for a Taurus as a Beretta. After more research on Tauruses, I came to realize that they're basically one and the same. So my question is whether they're realy 100% interchangeable, or if not, which parts are, like mags, barrel, slide, etc.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Theoretically, there is about 70% parts interchangeability. The Taurus handguns were made under license from Beretta in Brazil for the South American police. They eventually bought out the rights of manufacture and the result was the PT92.
Taurus added a 3-position safety so they could be carried cocked and locked. Berettas cannot. Barrels will interchange. Magazines will not. Slides can, but if you put a Beretta slide on a Taurus frame, you will have 2 manual safties. It will function. Put a Taurus slide on a Beretta frame, and you have a pistol with no safety that will not function.
In case you research revolvers, the Taurus is the same as Smith and Wesson. Taurus and Smith were both owned by the same parent company. Taurus was sold and Fjoras purchased the tooling and dies to manufacture the handguns under the Taurus name. For example, a Taurus Model 65 is the same as a Smith Model 65, except the Taurus will cost about $120 less. And, the Taurus uses coil mainsprings instead of the Smith flat mainspring. Coils are inherently stronger than flat springs. HTH

·
Registered
11,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That really helps! I may just print your reply and add it to my gun notebook that I carry with me to gun shows.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I prefer the Taurus to a Smith anyway. The warranty is lifetime of the weapon, not the owner. And, the warranty transfers with the firearm.
I bought a S&W Sigma a couple of years ago. It was new-the previous owner only had it for 2 months when he fell on hard times. He never even so much as put a bullet in the magazine. I bought it and sent in the warranty card. Smith wouldn't honor the warranty card. It ended up with me getting rid of the Sigma and my 5906, Model 10, and Model 411.
On the other hand, in 1993, my ex-girlfriends' brother was messing around with an old (1978) .38 Taurus I had. He dropped it on the floor and broke the rear sight, and the screw on the sideplate. Sent it to a gunsmith who called me and told me about the warranty (then new to Taurus). He said he'd send it back to Taurus, but don't hold my breath that they would fix it at no charge, as he had not used the new warranty.
6 weeks later, I get a call from the gunsmith to pick up the revolver. I go, expecting to pay about $100 for everything extra I wanted done to it. The total? $13.89. Taurus COMPLETELY overhauled my revolver, and refinished it to boot, at no cost to me except return shipping.
That's why I like Taurus firearms.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Let me know what you get. You won't be disappointed.:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I traded my S&W in on a Springfield loaded. I missed my 4" 686 Smith so I went looking to replace it. I ended up buying an M66 Tarus 4" ss in .357 . I ended up with an extra shot ( it's a seven shooter) and a better gun . I was shooting bowling pins at 75' and having a blast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts