Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what's up guys? Anyone know anything about this gun? I saw a post on here before but no insight on the gun really? I've read a ton about it but was wondering if anyone has shot it. I heard the company is a pain in the a**. I was looking to hook this thing up in a .45, any thoughts?:feedback:

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
WELCOME !!! Jason Glad you joined, we hope you like it here, so get involved and have a good time.
I don't know anything about Taurus pistols but there are many members here that do.
So hang around and make yourself at home and there will be some members around to answear all your questions... Thanks for joining A.H

·
Registered
1 Posts
great gun

hey jason,
I got a 24/7 paid 334.95 total cost, brand new.
I love this gun, shoots well, accruate, nice weapon, sure beats the heck out of 600 dollars for a new glock.
I also got my wife a tarus pt111 at the same time. she loves it, never had any problems with miss fires, jams or anyother problems. She likes the small size of the 111, fits well in her purse and coat pocket.
If I had it to do over again, I would buy the same guns.
By the way, the pt111 cost was 310.34 total. that's out the door, tax and all.
My brother use to have a glock, and a tarus, he got rid of his glock and kept the tarus because he liked the way it fit his hand and the way it fired better than the tarus, so if you are looking for an affordable firearm that is dependable, I would suggest the tarus.

Hey what's up guys? Anyone know anything about this gun? I saw a post on here before but no insight on the gun really? I've read a ton about it but was wondering if anyone has shot it. I heard the company is a pain in the a**. I was looking to hook this thing up in a .45, any thoughts?:feedback:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 24/7 OSS 45 on April 12. Came with 2-12 round mags. Looks like I am the second here this month to find one. I am going to the woods on Sat to try it. I really like the way it feels. Fits my medium hands better than my G20. If I make a 45 Super out of it, it will have similar balistics as the G20.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took the new Taurus 24/7 OSS to the woods yesterday.
My Impressions:

Feels very good in my medium sized hands. The sights were very usable, Novak three dot non adjustable sights. The SA trigger was very easy to get use to after only a few rounds. After releasing the firing pin, using the long double action trigger will take a little (not much) practice. When empty it is a little front heavy, a full magazine will balance it out nicely.
Aimed fire and off hand shooting is very comfortable and accurate to 50 yards. We tried a few shots to 100 yards, will take more practice.
Fed and fired a variety of ammo dependably. Over 300 rounds of factory 185 jhp, 230 ball, 185 +P, as well as various home made jacketed and lead round nose, SWC and JHP.
The only problem I had was half way through the session, I had half a mag of 230 factory round ball . A round did not feed and jammed the action open, I pulled back the slide and released feeding the round and kept shooting without other problems.
Recoil seemed mild to me, even with the +P and 230 gr slugs. I did fire one 45 Super that gave me a bit more jolt to my hand. It felt more like my G20 10MM. Although the smaller grip made it feel more controllable.
When loading the magazines, the first round was difficult to get in. It feels like the rear of the follower is stuck against the magazine wall. I jammed my thumb against the sharp edge of the lips a couple of times breaking the follower free till I learned to pay more attention. Not a big thing, but it could be during a stressful reload in a firefight. Also the thin walled magazines felt “odd” while shoving in ammo, can’t really explain my perception. Maybe because I am more use to Glock mags.
All the cases I checked, especially the +P and heavy slugs, showed an odd mark in the primers. Instead of a simple round indenture these showed the round hole made by the firing pin with a channel pulled out the side of that hole like the case started moving sideways while the firing pin was still in the primer. Before I break a firing pin, I am going to try to find a heavier firing pin spring and hope that works.
Even though it is quite accurate, I am not impressed with the barrel. With less than 500 rounds through the gun there are wear marks on the top and chamber side of the flat parts on the chamber end. Looks like sharp edges are scrapping these flat sides as it cycles. Could use better machining. The sides of the barrel are slightly rough. It could have been buffed before blueing. During the session the action wore a ring in the blueing on the tapered front end of the barrel where it fits through the frame. There was a noticeable gap in that wear ring on the slide side of the barrel. Makes me think there is something lacking in the machining of the barrel or the frame. The barrel is not as heavy as I would wish. My G20 factory barrel is much thicker around the chamber and barrel wall. My KKM barrel for the G20 is even thicker.
I am hoping a heavy machined barrel and heavy springs becomes available soon. Or a 45 Super conversion kit
Over all the three of us that shot the pistol were impressed with its accuracy, feel, function and dependability.
Now if Taurus would only put this trigger and decocker on the fine shorter 24/7s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a new Taurus PT 24/7 OSS at a Fl gun show on April 12, here are my opinions.

Feels very good in my medium sized hands. The sights were very usable, Novak three dot non adjustable sights. The SA trigger was very easy to get use to after only a few rounds. After releasing the firing pin, using the long double action trigger will take a little (not much) practice. When empty it is a little front heavy, a full magazine will balance it out nicely.
Aimed fire and off hand shooting is very comfortable and accurate to 50 yards. We tried a few shots to 100 yards, will take more practice.
Fed and fired a variety of ammo dependably. Over 300 rounds of factory 185 jhp, 230 ball, 185 +P, as well as various home made jacketed and lead round nose, SWC and JHP.
The only problem I had was half way through the session, I had half a mag of 230 factory round ball . A round did not feed and jammed the action open, I pulled back the slide and released feeding the round and kept shooting without other problems.
Recoil seemed mild to me, even with the +P and 230 gr slugs. I did fire one 45 Super that gave me a bit more jolt to my hand. It felt more like my G20 10MM. Although the smaller grip made it feel more controllable.
When loading the magazines, the first round was difficult to get in. It feels like the rear of the follower is stuck against the magazine wall. I jammed my thumb against the sharp edge of the lips a couple of times breaking the follower free till I learned to pay more attention. Not a big thing, but it could be during a stressful reload in a firefight. Also the thin walled magazines felt “odd” while shoving in ammo, can’t really explain my perception. Maybe because I am more use to Glock mags.
All the cases I checked, especially the +P and heavy slugs, showed an odd mark in the primers. Instead of a simple round indenture these showed the round hole made by the firing pin with a channel pulled out the side of that hole like the case started moving sideways while the firing pin was still in the primer. Before I break a firing pin, I am going to try to find a heavier firing pin spring and hope that works.
Even though it is quite accurate, I am not impressed with the barrel. With less than 500 rounds through the gun there are wear marks on the top and chamber side of the flat parts on the chamber end. Looks like sharp edges are scrapping these flat sides as it cycles. Could use better machining. The sides of the barrel are slightly rough. It could have been buffed before blueing. During the session the action wore a ring in the blueing on the tapered front end of the barrel where it fits through the frame. There was a noticeable gap in that wear ring on the slide side of the barrel. Makes me think there is something lacking in the machining of the barrel or the frame. The barrel is not as heavy as I would wish. My G20 factory barrel is much thicker around the chamber and barrel wall. My KKM barrel for the G20 is even thicker.
I am hoping a heavy machined barrel and heavy springs becomes available soon. Or a 45 Super conversion kit
Over all the three of us that shot the pistol were impressed with its accuracy, feel, function and dependability.
Now if Taurus would only put this trigger and decocker on the fine shorter 24/7s.

I didn’t mean to give a negative impression with my opinions on the OSS 45.
Overall I really like the weapon. It was fun to shoot, very pointable, accurate, low recoil,.
It has the features I have been waiting for in an economy package. You just should not confuse this with a custom gun at twice the price. Just as you can not compare the old wore out GI 45s we had 30 years ago to a modern custom 45. The Taurus OSS is designed and built to be a cheap GI issue weapon. Once it has been out a while and more people realize how good a platform it is the custom barrels, springs, sights and magazines will become available. I like to have options. The Taurus gives me more options than any other affordable weapon I can name.
The synthetic frame is stronger as proven by Glock with their 10MM after their competitors steel framed guns wear out and break. Synthetic is lighter, the more you carry one the more you appreciate this. The 5 ¼ inch barrel gives the gun a chance to more efficiently use the combustion gases. It gives higher velocity for longer range accurate shots.
I actually prefer the feel of the double action trigger on the earlier 24/7s. The OSS gives me options with its decocker to carry a fully loaded 13 round pistol safely without a safety lever to deal with. I just need to shoot it enough to be comfortable with its double action first shot. As you should do with any gun you are going to trust your life with.
Once I find stronger springs, a heavier barrel and reload components for 45 Super, I will have a gun with ballistics similar to my 10MM glock in an easier to hold more controllable package. Big fat fast bullets give more one shot stops than any other.
I also want a .22 conversion kit, so I can afford to practice a lot more.

·
Banned
165 Posts
The jury is still out, we sold two of the OSSs last week to a couple Ranger types that promised to report back after they fired a thou or two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Taurus OSS - 40 S&W

I got one yesterday. I have a lot of guns, and the local shop kept an eye out for me. First, I think this is a decent gun, but there were some "out of box" issues.

Two of us shot low and left - way low and way left. We luckily were at a range with allens. We had to move the rear sight uncomfortably far right, but we dialed in windage. No, it's not the shooter. My friend is a competitive shooter and we got the same results.

The gun also shoots low - even if you aim dead center. It did vary by bullet (lead, brass, etc..) and the charge. No matter what we shot, it was low.

For some reason, the last round in the magazine did not seem to load. It was forward in the magazine, but did not chamber. I will say this problem became less and less of a problem as the day went on. I think it will eventually be a non issue. I wish I could find a little shorter front site.

All of the above said, we cranked about 500 rounds (factory, reload, etc..) through the gun. As noted before, we only had occasional problems with the last round (round 15), and with a little wear this problem will go away.

Before I get too picky, I will say I was able to adjust satisfactory to the gun. At about 25 yards I simply aimed high up on the plates and knocked them down consistently.

I would have absolutely no concerns using this for self defense. Some of the best military guns have looser tolerances (i.e. the SKS). This gun will never win any paper target shooting contests, but it will shoot reasonably tight targets.

We actually had three shooters. The third was my son. He liked the Beretta the best - shot better with an S&W M&P. Didn't care for the Taurus (too plasticy). I will defend Taurus a little on this. The frame may feel more plastic like, but there is plenty of metal support along with it.

If I can't get used to the front sight, I will have it modified.

·
Registered
1 Posts
so what are ya'll using for holsters?

i love my oss but i can't seem to find any leather (or plastic) for itl

TIA,
Curt

BTW hi :burnout:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess i got a lemon...right out of the box it shot about 4 inches low and left and there was two people shooting it with same results. That could probably be cured by sight adjustment, however, my main concern was out of 200 rounds i had 5 no fires, even with repeated trigger pulls they would not fire and when ejected there was no marks on the primer.

Took it right back to the dealer who agreed there was something wrong, but he would not make it right, i had to send it to Taurus customer service. Needless to say that dealer has sold his last gun to me. Took 36 days to get it back and they sent a note saying "could find nothing wrong..."

Again i took it out to shoot and it did seem to shoot a bit better. I fed it both round nose and hollow points, no jams. Out of 150 rounds i had one that didn't fire on the first pull, but it did fire on the second pull. Trouble is no i can't trust it as a carry defense weapon, or at least until i get a thousand rounds with no problems.

I like the gun, very comfortable in my hand, low recoil, points nicely, and i love the 12 + 1 capacity. Breaks down for cleaning very easy, goes back together the same.

I might add i have a Taurus PT140 that i dearly love. Rock solid with over a thousand rounds with no problems at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gshivers, where in the world did you get a 24/7 paid 334.95 total cost, brand new.

I can't find one for under $468 +$35 for shipping to a local dealer.

sehodge

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a solid Handgun

I purchased my Taurus 24/7 OSS 9mm in the BLUE finish. Cost was $536 Delivered with Tax.

First off let me say I am by no means a handgun expert. I know alot more about rifles than handguns. I have shot Glocks, SigArms, and S&W's before though.

Now to my review. This is a solid handgun! I only shot from the 7 yard line today with Winchester 115grain target/range bullets. When I judge any firearm I use three criteria. 1)Does the gun perform as designed? 2)Is the gun accurate? 3)Is the gun safe to store, carry, and shoot.

1) The gun never missed a round. The grip felt very comfortable in my medium sized hands. Safety, slide release, and magazine release are easily used while in firing position with either thumb. There was very little kick and I found the reaquistion of target very quickly. The trigger was a little more slack than I've used before , but was simple to adjust to. Overall function, look, and feel of the gun was an A.

2) Accurracy was amazing at the 7 yard line with a 25 yrd NRA pistol target I was able to remove the "X" from existance. There where about 10% in the "10" circle that I will call operator error, but still lethal shots. A++

3) The safety is highly functional and I especially liked the the "decock & locked" feature. If you push the safety all the way up it decockes the pistol. So no accidental discharges even if the safety is turned off. In order to recock you must pull the trigger once or rack the slide and then fire. A+++

Overall this is a keeper for me. Few firearms today perform so amazingly well "out of the box". I've been lucky and have had three in my lifetime. The 24/7 OSS 9mm is one of those.

·
Banned
10,852 Posts
Gshivers
What model 24/7 did you get
I'm looking at 24/7 OSS 9mm 17+1
Have not been able to find one for less than $500
They had them at The Miami Gun Show today at $389.00. Great deal. I feel Taurus is one of the best buys as far as what you get for what you pay. Nice gun at a low cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
7-28-08
I took my Taurus OSS out to the woods for another range session. I had a bunch of Georgia Arms 185 gr reloads and had a lot of “fail to feed” so I had to pull back the slide slightly and release to feed the round. My host has found an OSS since my last visit and shooting session. We compared guns. Where mine had a noticeable “edge” on the feeding ramp, it looked like his had been polished and rounded slightly. His OSS fed and fired flawlessly the ammo mine had jammed on every other round. I could take care of that problem myself. The other problem I noticed could be more fatal. I was practicing double action first shots. One big reason I bought the OSS was so I could carry a loaded chamber with the striker down, and use double action for the first shot. I noticed once in a while that normal trigger pressure did not fire the weapon. In fact I had to squeeze the Hell out of the trigger, pulling it way off target, sometimes not getting it to fire at all pulling as hard as I could. Not a good way to stay alive in a gun fight.
I emptied the gun, pulled the magazine and started dry firing in double action. It took between 20 and 40 pulls for the problem to reoccur. Used a variety of ammo, same thing.
My buddy tried and experienced the same thing, not just my hand or grip. After I came home and cleaned the gun as well as I can, the same thing happens. Sometimes it just takes a little extra effort to make it fire, sometimes I have to use both hands and two fingers to make the striker fall.
My buddys OSS does not seem to have either problem.
Definitely time to use that Taurus lifetime guarantee.
At least I have extra carry guns that won’t get me killed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Taurus 24/7 OSS 45 Review

Hey guys:

I'm new here so please stick with me.

Anyways, picked up a Taurus 24/7 OSS DS model on Oct 17 from Tampa Gun Show. It was purchased from Shoot Straight dealers and boy it was an awesome deal. I walked the place for hours looking for exactly what I wanted.

I wanted a STAINLESS slide (no blued or synthetic plastic crap).
I wanted it chambered for .45 caliber
And I wanted it from someone reputable.

I found THE ONLY 24/7 OSS in Stainless chambered for .45 at the whole gun-show! As mentioned above, it was bought from Shoot Straight gun dealers; they are local here in Tampa right off of 301 and MLK Blvd. Just in-case I have any issues, I can take it to them and they can service the warranty (lifetime warranty...yeahhh baby!). They are licensed Taurus Dealers.

Anyways, I think I robbed the poor fella. Paid $410 OUT THE DOOR! Gun came with case, paperwork, two 12 round magazines, a speed loader (I hated this particular speed loader, but loading 12 rounds DOES breaks your thumbs). It was better than nothing! It came with only 1 key though (I don't think I'll ever use it, unless I have some relatives staying over and they have kids). Then I might lock it as I do keep it by bedside.

I bought a Blackhawk inside the wasteband holster (size 3) and boy it is a gloved fit! Paid only $10 for it. I love it! I think blackhawk has upgraded their material since this one is WAAAAAAY more comfortable to wear on a daily basis compared to my 38 special J frame S&W.

Anyways, I took it out to the woods and dumped 1 whole magazine of 230GR Semi Wadcutter Ammo. Feeds really nice. I'm only concerned with Hollowpoints, as I have heard of a little misfeed issues with Taurus autoloaders.

For that reason, I took it home and field-stripped it and cleaned it (since Semi Wadcutter ammo was lead) and it cleaned really nice. Then, I got to work and polished the ramp till it couldn't be polished any more. Haven't shot since then.

Recoil was very manageable. It's a quick pop, and the gun drops right back on target. Shoots just like my Combat Commander or my Gold Cup Competition. The single action/double action trigger is very easy to get used to. It only took me 1 magazine to get used to. I also like the fact that this model comes with a decocker. I can carry it loaded, round in the chamber, but decocked, with safety engaged. In that case, first round will be double action harder pull just like a revolver, and then it automatically returns to single-action which is very smooth trigger.

Anyways, I love it! I'll be carrying it (I don't mind...actually, I like to carry big guns). I used to carry AMT Automag III 30 Carbine Hardballer:firedevil:(worked to hell, where nothing that could be improved is left unimproved & polished to heck!). It's a fireball breathing son-of-a-gun (literally). Haven't had a misfeed/jam/stovepipe/any other issue with it for past 6 years! Over 2000 rounds through it in last 2 years! I sure will miss those 30 carbine hollowpoints overloaded (local guy loads them for me) with about 900 ft/lbs of energy at 15 yards! And that's a big and heavy gun! 6.375 inch barrel vs my Taurus OSS' 5.25 inch barrel. They both weight about the same loaded (13 rds vs 9 rds). Don't want to carry 30 carbine any more due to its collector value. Mine is worth about $1700+ according to a gun broker.

Anyways, back to Taurus OSS. I think it's a very competitive gun, especially for the price. I got lucky and only paid $410 out the door! Even for $600, it's well worth it. Sure beats Glock and Springfield XD in my honest opinion because of extra features, such as Single Action/Double Action trigger, reliability, Lifetime Warranty, Ambidextrous safety, and build in Gun Lock (which like I said, i'll probably never use). It does come with 3-dot night sights. It's a wonderful shooter!

P.S. The only issue I found with this gun is the magazine release. It's VERRRRRY touchy! It's imperative to exercise proper gripping techniques where you're supposed to let your thumb float! If you squeeze your thumb, and you even touch the magazine release button, boy.....you're dropping your load! That would be embarrasing, looking at an attacker, pulling your gun out and next thing you know you drop your load, all 12 rounds!

Anyways, if you've got extra $400 - 600 and you want to spend it, this is the gun to buy unless you can purchase a 30 carbine AMT Automag III!

Also, don't forget to invest in an Uplula speed loader! It'll make your life so much easier! I stopped by a family friend's house. He's an old man about 75 years old and a retired Sheriff's deputy and also used to fly helicopters for Sheriff Department. He saw me using my factory taurus speed loader and he just LAUGHED! Then said, "what the heck are you going to to with that POS?"

Then he went inside and brought out an Uplula speed loader! OMG! I love this man! He gave it to me as a gift and wow..........it works!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys:

I'm new here so please stick with me.

Anyways, picked up a Taurus 24/7 OSS DS model on Oct 17 from Tampa Gun Show. It was purchased from Shoot Straight dealers and boy it was an awesome deal. I walked the place for hours looking for exactly what I wanted.

I wanted a STAINLESS slide (no blued or synthetic plastic crap).
I wanted it chambered for .45 caliber
And I wanted it from someone reputable.

I found THE ONLY 24/7 OSS in Stainless chambered for .45 at the whole gun-show! As mentioned above, it was bought from Shoot Straight gun dealers; they are local here in Tampa right off of 301 and MLK Blvd. Just in-case I have any issues, I can take it to them and they can service the warranty (lifetime warranty...yeahhh baby!). They are licensed Taurus Dealers.

Anyways, I think I robbed the poor fella. Paid $410 OUT THE DOOR! Gun came with case, paperwork, two 12 round magazines, a speed loader (I hated this particular speed loader, but loading 12 rounds DOES breaks your thumbs). It was better than nothing! It came with only 1 key though (I don't think I'll ever use it, unless I have some relatives staying over and they have kids). Then I might lock it as I do keep it by bedside.

I bought a Blackhawk inside the wasteband holster (size 3) and boy it is a gloved fit! Paid only $10 for it. I love it! I think blackhawk has upgraded their material since this one is WAAAAAAY more comfortable to wear on a daily basis compared to my 38 special J frame S&W.

Anyways, I took it out to the woods and dumped 1 whole magazine of 230GR Semi Wadcutter Ammo. Feeds really nice. I'm only concerned with Hollowpoints, as I have heard of a little misfeed issues with Taurus autoloaders.

For that reason, I took it home and field-stripped it and cleaned it (since Semi Wadcutter ammo was lead) and it cleaned really nice. Then, I got to work and polished the ramp till it couldn't be polished any more. Haven't shot since then.

Recoil was very manageable. It's a quick pop, and the gun drops right back on target. Shoots just like my Combat Commander or my Gold Cup Competition. The single action/double action trigger is very easy to get used to. It only took me 1 magazine to get used to. I also like the fact that this model comes with a decocker. I can carry it loaded, round in the chamber, but decocked, with safety engaged. In that case, first round will be double action harder pull just like a revolver, and then it automatically returns to single-action which is very smooth trigger.

Anyways, I love it! I'll be carrying it (I don't mind...actually, I like to carry big guns). I used to carry AMT Automag III 30 Carbine Hardballer:firedevil:(worked to hell, where nothing that could be improved is left unimproved & polished to heck!). It's a fireball breathing son-of-a-gun (literally). Haven't had a misfeed/jam/stovepipe/any other issue with it for past 6 years! Over 2000 rounds through it in last 2 years! I sure will miss those 30 carbine hollowpoints overloaded (local guy loads them for me) with about 900 ft/lbs of energy at 15 yards! And that's a big and heavy gun! 6.375 inch barrel vs my Taurus OSS' 5.25 inch barrel. They both weight about the same loaded (13 rds vs 9 rds). Don't want to carry 30 carbine any more due to its collector value. Mine is worth about $1700+ according to a gun broker.

Anyways, back to Taurus OSS. I think it's a very competitive gun, especially for the price. I got lucky and only paid $410 out the door! Even for $600, it's well worth it. Sure beats Glock and Springfield XD in my honest opinion because of extra features, such as Single Action/Double Action trigger, reliability, Lifetime Warranty, Ambidextrous safety, and build in Gun Lock (which like I said, i'll probably never use). It does come with 3-dot night sights. It's a wonderful shooter!

P.S. The only issue I found with this gun is the magazine release. It's VERRRRRY touchy! It's imperative to exercise proper gripping techniques where you're supposed to let your thumb float! If you squeeze your thumb, and you even touch the magazine release button, boy.....you're dropping your load! That would be embarrasing, looking at an attacker, pulling your gun out and next thing you know you drop your load, all 12 rounds!

Anyways, if you've got extra $400 - 600 and you want to spend it, this is the gun to buy unless you can purchase a 30 carbine AMT Automag III!

Also, don't forget to invest in an Uplula speed loader! It'll make your life so much easier! I stopped by a family friend's house. He's an old man about 75 years old and a retired Sheriff's deputy and also used to fly helicopters for Sheriff Department. He saw me using my factory taurus speed loader and he just LAUGHED! Then said, "what the heck are you going to to with that POS?"

Then he went inside and brought out an Uplula speed loader! OMG! I love this man! He gave it to me as a gift and wow..........it works!!!!!!
Can you please tell me exactly what model of IWB holster you bought for your Taurus 24/7 OSS .45 (full length barrel I'm assuming -- not a compact)? I'll have to order it off the internet and I want what you have so I don't have to send it back. Many thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts