close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Taurus Taurus 740 Slim showing its true colors?

Discussion in 'Taurus' started by mossy500camo, Oct 31, 2012.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo G&G Newbie

So I am beginning to think if maybe my Taurus 740 Slim is showing it's true colors. As most of you know. I have had my 740 Slim for a few months & it has been flawless for about 500 rounds. Well last trip to the range it failed to fire 3 or 4 times. The 2nd or 3rd trigger strikes did'nt help at all. All rounds had to be ejected and a new round into the chamber. Ok I thought maybe it just needs cleaning. So I took it down & cleaned the gun. I found little pieces of metal inside the frame. Some even sharp enough to make me notice or YELL! Metal in the finger hurt. Ok I took the gun out yesterday and fired about 50rds. I had the same problem with different ammo. The 2nd strike capability did'nt work. I had to Tap, Rack, Bang like any other semi auto. Oh yeah, this thing will not funtion with a full mag & one in the chamber. 6+1=7 not in this gun. Just had to rant. I am thinking of trading it off for a S&W 60 357 mag. What the Hell!

2. UrbanCombat45

UrbanCombat45 G&G Newbie

Sorry to hear that..all makers have a few lemons tho...

3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

As we have said before, Taurus has more than their share of lemons.

If you get a good one, by that I mean one that shoots 1000 rounds or more without problems, you did good.

Their revolvers seem to work better than their semi-autos, overall, but that does not mean I endorse them. With the cost of metal and production as it is these days, the company has to cut corners somewhere to compete at a lower price.

I just sold my last Taurus firearm on Saturday. The wife and I owned 25 Taurus firearms, both long guns and hand guns (revolvers and semi-autos), over a period of 13 years. We had a very broad sample to go by, plus all the Taurus hand guns we saw in CCW classes.

Taurus function is not always reliable, and it is less reliable than more expensive name brands that have stood the test of time and millions of owners.

People buy a Taurus because it is cheaper. What else can be said?

4. UrbanCombat45

UrbanCombat45 G&G Newbie

Guess u raise a good point(btw im starting to lean toward the PARA ORDINANCE..THEY SEEM TO BE 100%).

5. Bvhawk

Bvhawk G&G Evangelist

6. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have the PT 709 and the PT 740. The 709 I've had since they first came out Both shoot just fine. the only thing i don't like is the 740 mags are a pain to load.

Attached Files:

7. mossy500camo

mossy500camo G&G Newbie

Oh don't get me wrong. I like my 740 Slim. It is a handful of Dynomite. My only concern, is it going bang when I need it too.

8. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Heck, I'm starting to wonder if Mossy is a Jinx...dude buys guns and they start having problems...

Kind of like me with any Chevy/GM product...

MoDoc likes this.
  9. mossy500camo

mossy500camo G&G Newbie

Nah... I think that I should STOP buying cheap guns. I think that's the problem in whole.

10. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Switch to known-quality Used...plenty in Pawn Shops for low prices...yard sales...etc...
    Of course, that tends to get one into learning Gunsmithing as a Hobby...
    due to having to fix up all those battle-scarred veterans!!

Starts off with refinishing a scratched-up stock...
    next thing you know you're Parkerizing...
    before you realize it you're buying half the AGI Armourer's Courses...
    then looking seriously at the Gunsmith Licensing Courses...
    its addictive!!

11. mossy500camo

mossy500camo G&G Newbie

I put 50 rounds through it Monday. Not one hiccup. I guess it likes to be cleaned every once in awhile.

12. Mork M

Mork M G&G Newbie

As I told my story elsewhere her at Gun & Game; bought a brand new 740 Slim in .40 S&W. Was looking for small, hammerless semi auto in at least 9mm for my motorcycle vest/jacket. Loved the 740's price but really loved trigger! Took it home, cleaned it, took it to range. Fired first magazine through it and it locked back as expected. Loaded magazine for round 2 and then slide would not close into battery. Could not even get slide to close enough to reach disassembly notch to attempt to take it apart. Returned to dealer and his Gun Smith couldn't get it apart, so off it went to Taurus. Very disappointed. Having a brand new gun break and be rendered inoperable after 6 rounds is troubling when you expect 100% reliability in a life or death event. This Taurus will not go back home with me. When it returns from Taurus I will trade it on one of my other choices; Kimber Solo, S&W Shield, or Ruger 9mm. Went cheap - got cheap. Lost all confidence in the 740...

13. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

If you are getting bits of metal in the gun, there is a reason for that. Try and find that reason. It may be a simple fix, may not. Doesn't hurt to look and find out. A small part may be bent, rubbing or something. If you can find the cause, and fix it, then it should go back to being reliable again. Hope you find the problem soon.

big shrek likes this.
  14. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

.40 S&W might just be too much for the pistol to handle. Kel-Tec went through that with their P40. The P11 in 9mm works great and doesn't have any durability issues. The P40 in .40 S&W would slowly batter itself to death. So they discontinued it. Personally, I see no advantage over a 9mm in that size, and two disadvantages. You get one less round and you get slower follow up shots.

Tack Driver and big shrek like this.
  15. Mork M

Mork M G&G Newbie

16. Mork M

Mork M G&G Newbie

I like the way you think... About it battering itself to death and the follow-up shot. As I had said the Gunsmith sent the pistol back to Taurus for examination; he could not get it apart or close the slide into battery. He also said that Taurus is "very slow" with repairs like this. Story of my life. Anyway as I said in my original post; I have zero confidence in this weapon now. When it returns from Taurus I will trade it on a new Ruger LC9. Was my first choice until I felt the wonderful trigger on the 740. Will learn to like the LC9's heavy trigger!!! ha ha ha

17. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Evangelist

Buy a gen 3 Glock. Problem solved

big shrek likes this.
  18. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

And if you read up on Para Ord, you'll find they have their fair share of lemons as well...

If you want something that is reliable as the day is long,
    go find a 3rd Generation S&W semi-auto...
    any of the XXXX (four digit) names...like CS45 (and CS9 & CS40),
    5906, 3906, 1076, 4006, etc...
    prices these days are VERY reasonable...Bud's has a buncha police trade-ins...
    5903's starting at $299 each...5906 for $349, and 6906 for $369...

19. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Evangelist

I don't hate them and to each his own, but threads like this and some limited personal experience are what scare me away from every owning a Taurus semi auto. I'll stick to Glock and S&W, they work for me and hit my hand well

20. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Or my mom with computers...and printers....and DVR's...and pretty much ANYTHING electronic.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted