·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of getting a millenium pro in 40s&w
any likes?
any dislikes?
general thoughts?

my normal carry gun is going into the platers soon, need something to carry in the mean time and play with later.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I'm seriously looking towards a 10rd 45 version. From what I understand, the early ones had problems that were fixed. Having inspected the latest model, it looks like a fine pistol. I would only buy the most recent genertation version. As affordable as they are NIB, I'd go that route.

What I don't know is whether these problems were exclusive to the 45 version or not.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think the older millenium 45's did but the latest story i read in guns and ammo gave very high ratings to the millenium in 9mm and 40 cal.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
That's a tough issue. They are working on "smart-gun" technology. But as far as I know they are not removing any offending features from their guns. They were some of the first to advertise larger mags after the expiration of the ban.

Their focus on "smart guns" is certainly reason for concern, as some states have adopted laws that as soon as they come out, they will be the only guns allowed for sale. On the one hand, you can't blame Taurus for wanting not to be ruled out. On the other hand, that can easily be seen as a concession to the antis, at least accomodating them in their product line. On the less critical side, you could compare that to offering post-ban pre-expiration style ARs for states with AWBs, not something that's gotten any negative attention.

I sort of have hope that maybe Taurus is a little less aggressive on developing smart gun technology than it appears. Perhaps keeping a hold on the research to possibly delay such a development. If that were the case, they'd be doing everyone a favor at their own expense.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I really like Taurus line. I believe they have come a very long way in recent years. It's good to see manufactures like Taurus and Savage increase in quality standards.
But for the price I say why not?

·
Tradehawker LLC / www.tradehawker.com / Jn 17:17
2,041 Posts
Taurus has some pretty good pistols and revolvers, but the Millenium Pro is not one of them in my opinion. If I were you, I would contact Steve Camp by e-mail or PM. He teaches CCW in Texas and sees numerous handguns, both good and bad, go through his classes.

www.hipowersandhandguns.com is his website, just follow the e-mail link.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I've heard frequent complaints about the earlier 45s and nothing but good about the latest version (3rd generation). It would be helpful to identify which had the problems you have heard about. For the price and specifications, the 45 version is the only option (ie compact 10rd 45).

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I have shot the Millenium 40. I didn't like it. It had a lot of kick (my choice is a 7 shot Taurus .357 2.65 lbd ported revolver) as it was top heavy. It shot well just kicked a bunch which was to be expected. My buddy loved it though.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well maybe i'll just cary the 22 for the two weeks it will be at the platers. i'm not a revolver guy, sept for hunting. short bbl revolvers are not my thing couldn't hit anything with my 101. and they are too bulky to cary like i normaly do.
maybe i'll just get anothe defender or springfield custom. i like the kimber ultra cary II but not the c o p version. and i know some of you will laugh but i'm not gona switch from my rock island compact. it hits dead on at 15 yrds and has never jamed once with anything i have put through it since we tuned it. and my back has a perminent indentation that it fits in just right. fell asleep on the couch with it still on last night didn't even know it till i woke up and finaly took my but to bed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own a Taurus Millenium Pro 9SS. It's a great carry gun. It's also a good shooter with a nice crisp trigger pull. I have put over 500 rounds through mine without a hiccup. I don't use it very much now, only because I prefer a decocker.

The problems Taurus had was with the original Millenium series. The new Millenium Pro series fixed those problems in all calibres. There is allot of 3rd hand information being bandied about by some folks who have heard, but not experienced, and continue to make comments.

I also have a Taurus PT-92 (My favorite), a Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite snubbie, and a 627 Tracker .357 4". They are all well made, and reliable guns...

·
Registered
5 Posts
After thinking I'd like the Mill Pro in a 40 or 45, I went to the range today to try them. I just got back.......
They only had it in the 40 S&W which was fine so I rented it. He said it hadn't been used much at all (a little more $$ to rent that then a .380 or 9mm).

It felt very good, but every time I went to shoot it, the mag fell down. Not out of the gun, just down....enough that the 2nd round couldn't load 1/4"-1/2". At first, I thought it was because I was hitting the release...nope. I tried everything, but the mag would drop every time.

Took it to the range guy who looked at me like I was nuts and said that he try it. He came back amazed. It dropped for him too.

Rented the .380 and never had one problem.
Taurus will fix it, but if I needed it, I'd be in BIG trouble. I can't risk that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts